2020 Portuguese GP

Not that it would of made much difference but at the time I wondered why they didn’t give him what we wanted?

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/botta...p/4899057/

(25-10-2020, 08:23 PM)forzaferrari Wrote:  Not a bad race at all, some great battles on a great circuit, a big congrats to Lewis on his achievement today.

Most exciting start I’ve seen in this era

Superb starts by Sainz and Kimi, Max really blew his chance there with a scrappy couple of corners.

Really enjoyed this start

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/artic...i1g-PjJlCw

That was a good spectacle. Enjoyed that a lot, a little bit of moisture and cold tyres made for an unusual situation in the first couple of laps. If I didn't know the result before I would have said Lewis was playing the percentage game early doors. How wrong was that perception!

(25-10-2020, 08:33 PM)Beano Wrote:  Most exciting start I’ve seen in this era

Comment somewhat at odds with your earlier one being sick of the Mercedes driving off into the distance for 7 years. But yes, it was interesting.

When I look fast, I'm not smooth and I am going slowly. And when I look slow, I am smooth and going fast.
[+] 1 user Likes The Professor's post

Mercedes do not allow their drivers to to go counter strategy with the tyres, occasionally one of them will try a different number of stops but even that is unusual.
[+] 2 users Like NeilP's post

(25-10-2020, 08:57 PM)The Professor Wrote:  That was a good spectacle. Enjoyed that a lot, a little bit of moisture and cold tyres made for an unusual situation in the first couple of laps. If I didn't know the result before I would have said Lewis was playing the percentage game early doors. How wrong was that perception!

(25-10-2020, 08:33 PM)Beano Wrote:  Most exciting start I’ve seen in this era

Comment somewhat at odds with your earlier one being sick of the Mercedes driving off into the distance for 7 years. But yes, it was interesting.

I still enjoyed the start and the midfield battles but yes I am sick of seeing them bugger off so easily! I know it’s for the others to work harder but until regs change this is what I have to put up with and even then? Who knows

(25-10-2020, 09:26 PM)NeilP Wrote:  Mercedes do not allow their drivers to to go counter strategy with the tyres, occasionally one of them will try a different number of stops but even that is unusual.

I’m not sure that’s strictly true Neil wasn’t it last season at Silverstone Lewis did a very smart counter strategy with Bottas out front? Maybe VB needs to be more assertive actually Bottas needs to vacate that seat for George Russell in my eyes he’s had his chance and failed miserably at every opportunity

One person I think who hasn’t been mentioned but did very well all things considered was Pierre Gasly

(25-10-2020, 09:26 PM)NeilP Wrote:  Mercedes do not allow their drivers to to go counter strategy with the tyres, occasionally one of them will try a different number of stops but even that is unusual.

Out of the blue r us! Where did that comment come from Neil? Are you referring to Bottas asking for softs and being refused? He'd have likely come third if they'd have agreed to that today as the soft was not the tyre to be on. Hamilton got in the 1:18's on a pretty old hard tyre (only driver to get into the 1:18's incidentally) and that's only 2 seconds off pole. He was on fire today and clearly set his car up for the raceday jollies.

But you are generally correct. Mercedes policy is for the lead driver to chose and the other driver has to lump it. The only time I can remember them using contra strategies is when there are SC's involved as they can change the scope of a race depending on whether the lead driver has already pitted (as per Silverstone 2019).

[edit]
Forgot to post what I logged on to say!!

Has anyone mentioned that Lewis Hamilton also won (another) pirelli pole position trophy for the 2020 season yesterday? Nobody can now match his 9 pole positions for this year. Not a bad record at all, since it was introduced in 2014 he has won it five times out of seven losing to Rosberg in 2014 (who notched up a stellar 11 poles that year) and Charles Leclerc in 2019 (who was racing with an illegal PU) Laughing
[+] 2 users Like morini's post

(25-10-2020, 10:29 PM)morini Wrote:  Out of the blue r us! Where did that comment come from Neil?

I think it was a response to an earlier comment by beano.

When I look fast, I'm not smooth and I am going slowly. And when I look slow, I am smooth and going fast.

(25-10-2020, 11:02 PM)The Professor Wrote:  I think it was a response to an earlier comment by beano.

Ah, right. That would explain it.

Quoting posts would help! I'd have twigged it myself then.

On board Kimi`s opening lap, bwoah!

https://twitter.com/i/status/1320397836522033153

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 5 users Like forzaferrari's post

(26-10-2020, 11:30 AM)forzaferrari Wrote:  On board Kimi`s opening lap, bwoah!

The guy certainly found a lot more grip than those around him. Pity he couldn't hang on to it.
[+] 1 user Likes morini's post

(26-10-2020, 11:30 AM)forzaferrari Wrote:  On board Kimi`s opening lap, bwoah!

I bet he enjoyed that but not getting passed once they’d warmed up so much, still a great first two laps by the old man
[+] 1 user Likes Beano's post