F1 Test

That's a terrible photo. Tried to sharpen it in gimp, but it's too blurry. Better off trying to find a picture in focus.
[+] 4 users Like morini's post

(20-02-2024, 10:27 PM)PapaofGags Wrote:  Update on "Ted's mythical mutant toe"   
The good news we have a picture, the bad news is with my now famous tech skillz its crap a little ropey.   Shutup
https://youtu.be/ADdOQh0Rneo?t=126
(21-02-2024, 12:35 PM)morini Wrote:  That's a terrible photo. Tried to sharpen it in gimp, but it's too blurry. Better off trying to find a picture in focus.

Thanks for trying

"gimp" ?..... ok I don't need to know     Laughing

Yup..... I got it from this YouTube video, can you do anything from that?

Asking for a friend Wink

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 3 users Like PapaofGags's post

(21-02-2024, 12:35 PM)morini Wrote:  That's a terrible photo. Tried to sharpen it in gimp, but it's too blurry. 

Oh thank f*ck for that, thought I was just really pissed last night  Tongue

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 3 users Like forzaferrari's post

So I made the mistake of putting on the testing in the background in my study today. 

Doesn't look like a good start to the year for Merc - George is 12th and the slowest Merc powered car (ignoring Albon as he would have been quicker than Sargeant who is in the car in the afternoon and he is quicker than George).

When Sargeant is quicker than the works Merc either something is horribly wrong or Merc is simply not chasing the timesheet and frankly I don't believe that they would not try for a quick-ish time. 
Also the RB Team (Tora Rosso) were quicker,  Alpine,  Stake (Sauber) - the only team that did not have one of their drivers quicker was HAAS.

Merc have not sandbagged in the last two years so I suspect that it may be we are seeing the continuing decline of the Mercedes team in F1.

From what I've seen the Merc looks very low to the ground (too low) and is sparking like crazy - I thought more than I observed any others.  I hear they had issues this morning but no one has really explained what problems they had this morning. 

Of course it is George in the car so perhaps Lewis can extract some more performance from the car... but I can't see him really being 3 seconds faster.

Perhaps this is what Lewis was anticipating - and if it remains this bad then it will be a torrid year for Merc and for Lewis.

I don't even want to mention the 1.1 second gap that RBR had over the field.

If this is what we're going to see this year I seriously have to question whether I want to retain my Sky F1 subscription. I think I might simply resort to catch up on Channel 4 if they are doing that or perhaps an option might be to look into a VPN and use a Formula 1 sub which is 50 Euro vs £216 for Sky?
[+] 3 users Like Westie's post

Watch f1 via a dodgy stream or C4 and put the savings towards World Superbike (£70 or £6.99pm) and Motogp (199 euro) then sit back and enjoy proper racing, simples! Wink

(21-02-2024, 05:01 PM)Westie Wrote:  When Sargeant is quicker than the works Merc either something is horribly wrong or Merc is simply not chasing the timesheet and frankly I don't believe that they would not try for a quick-ish time. 

Dont flap just yet, I read Merc were 100% focused on long runs and getting as many laps in as possible today (122)

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 4 users Like forzaferrari's post

(21-02-2024, 06:20 PM)forzaferrari Wrote:  Watch f1 via a dodgy stream or C4 and put the savings towards World Superbike (£70 or £6.99pm) and Motogp (199 euro) then sit back and enjoy proper racing, simples! Wink

(21-02-2024, 05:01 PM)Westie Wrote:  When Sargeant is quicker than the works Merc either something is horribly wrong or Merc is simply not chasing the timesheet and frankly I don't believe that they would not try for a quick-ish time. 

Dont flap just yet, I read Merc were 100% focused on long runs and getting as many laps in as possible today (122)

Good Idea Westie the WSBK & MOTO GP are mega, best racing there is imo.   Cool

Yeah I read the same.... BUT..... Max fastest over one lap, (8ths up, then 1.2)
fastest in the the long runs & completed the most laps.   Shutup

Yeah its only test day one but bleeding hell the RB was looking quick, ugly as feck though.    Tongue

Lets hope Lewis has a better day tomorrow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4zx5XVTli8 (5m)

Day 1 Highlights | F1 Pre-Season Testing 2024

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

[+] 2 users Like PapaofGags's post

(21-02-2024, 12:44 PM)PapaofGags Wrote:  Thanks for trying

"gimp" ?..... ok I don't need to know     Laughing

Yup..... I got it from this YouTube video, can you do anything from that?

Asking for a friend Wink

Gimp -> nothing dodgy bud, just a free (as in open source) photoshop alternative. I've been using it since god were a lad and I can vouch for its wholesomeness Wink Great, free and very useful free software.

https://www.gimp.org

I looked at the YouTube video you linked to, but the big problem is the camera is panning from left to right and there are about two frames with Kravitz toes in shot. Hence, pausing the frame gives horrible blurry shots.

For what it's worth, watching that video in real time, I'd say Ted has normal toes Wink

Sorry to bust the myth!
[+] 3 users Like morini's post

(21-02-2024, 06:20 PM)forzaferrari Wrote:  Dont flap just yet, I read Merc were 100% focused on long runs and getting as many laps in as possible today (122)

Hmmn..., overlooking the fact that at lunch (last time I looked) Mercedes did 47 laps compared to RBR's 66 and Astons 77. Haven't checked the afternoon session yet as I've been out eating and boozing for a family birthday (hic).

[edit]
So Max in his RBR did 21 laps more and beat George's best time by the best part of 3 seconds. I know times do not count in testing, but I think 2024 is already a write off. For anyone who doesn't want a Red Bull walk over, I mean.
[+] 2 users Like morini's post

(21-02-2024, 08:19 PM)morini Wrote:  Gimp -> nothing dodgy bud, just a free (as in open source) photoshop alternative. I've been using it since god were a lad and I can vouch for its wholesomeness Great, free and very useful free software.

https://www.gimp.org

I looked at the YouTube video you linked to, but the big problem is the camera is panning from left to right and there are about two frames with Kravitz toes in shot. Hence, pausing the frame gives horrible blurry shots.

For what it's worth, watching that video in real time, I'd say Ted has normal toes Wink

Sorry to bust the myth!

Who would we be to Judge, I believe you!      Tongue  

So Ian was on a wind up from day one....       Shutup

Well it kept us amused for years!       Laughing

[+] 3 users Like PapaofGags's post

(21-02-2024, 08:23 PM)morini Wrote:  Hmmn..., overlooking the fact that at lunch (last time I looked) Mercedes did 47 laps compared to RBR's 66 and Astons 77. Haven't checked the afternoon session yet 

Im just parroting what someone from within the Merc camp was quoted as saying.

[+] 2 users Like forzaferrari's post