Legalities and Rule Changes

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-fl.../10332153/

F1 flexi-floor exploit revelations a "shocker", says Mercedes'

Mercedes boss Toto Wolff has said it was a "shocker" to discover last week that rival Formula 1 squads may have been exploiting flexi-floors to help control porpoising.

As part of the discussions between the FIA and teams about a planned safety clampdown on excessive porpoising that drivers are unhappy about, one area of focus has been on the stiffness of the floors and planks of cars.

Motorsport.com understands that during talks in a Technical Advisory Committee (TAC) meeting in the week after the Canadian Grand Prix, suspicions emerged of some teams pushing the boundaries of the rules that are supposed to limit the flexing of their floors and planks.

So many clever engineers with imaginative innovations, bet the other teams wished they had thought of this, its not like other parts haven't flexed is it?

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 4 users Like PapaofGags's post

No doubt Red Bull will be the number 1 rule breaker.
[+] 4 users Like NeilP's post

(03-07-2022, 12:42 PM)PapaofGags Wrote:  https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-fl.../10332153/
F1 flexi-floor exploit revelations a "shocker", says Mercedes'
So many clever engineers with imaginative innovations, bet the other teams wished they had thought of this, its not like other parts haven't flexed is it?
(03-07-2022, 03:01 PM)NeilP Wrote:  No doubt Red Bull will be the number 1 rule breaker.

Apparently it was Alpine who worked this out, the fingers being pointed at Red Bull & Ferrari, says it will be banned/checked from France onwards.

[+] 5 users Like PapaofGags's post

Will be interesting to see if shining a spotlight on those teams being "flexible" with the rules changes the pecking order.  If it does,  are we not gonna see the teams objecting to points already collected by flouting these rules?  I know the answer but if for instance Merc suddenly jumps to the front of the queue in France.....followed closely by Alpine and Mclaren - are there enough races left for this correction to allow them to catch up? 

Lets face it if Verstappen or CLC wins because a rule infringement allowed them to bank huge points early in the championship.... is that fair?

Suppose it's a case of wait and see really... the impact may have no change on the pecking order.
[+] 5 users Like Westie's post

(05-07-2022, 12:57 PM)Westie Wrote:  Will be interesting to see if shining a spotlight on those teams being "flexible" with the rules changes the pecking order.  If it does,  are we not gonna see the teams objecting to points already collected by flouting these rules?  I know the answer but if for instance Merc suddenly jumps to the front of the queue in France.....followed closely by Alpine and Mclaren - are there enough races left for this correction to allow them to catch up? 

Lets face it if Verstappen or CLC wins because a rule infringement allowed them to bank huge points early in the championship.... is that fair?

Suppose it's a case of wait and see really... the impact may have no change on the pecking order.

It will come to nothing IMO. Too difficult to prove.

Just look at last year. Red Bull were definitely cheating first half of the season with their flexi rear wing and it was giving them performance (of that I have no doubt). Yes, some directives were introduced to try to prevent that loophole, but no penalties regarding any perceived advantage gained before the directives were put in place. It is typical F1, designers and engineers are always going to push right to the legal limit and I have no real problem with it. Fine line between innovation and cheating in this sport.
[+] 6 users Like morini's post

It will come to nothing IMO. Too difficult to prove.

Exactly, watching and comparing comparative performance will be interesting. If we see any major differences it will open up a huge can of worms but there will be no early bird to catch them.

I have no problem whatsoever with teams pushing the boundaries its what F1 has always been about to me. Its a watch this space issue for sure and at least give sus something to look forward to what otherwise is a dull race on a bright track that is in my opinion garbage especially after Silverstone.
[+] 5 users Like NeilP's post

I dont think it will come to much either, think the fia will do a bit of finger wagging and pouting but thats about it. Rules allow for 2mm of flex (afaik) with the "worst offender" flexing just a further 4mm.

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 3 users Like forzaferrari's post

(05-07-2022, 12:34 PM)PapaofGags Wrote:  So many clever engineers with imaginative innovations, bet the other teams wished they had thought of this, its not like other parts haven't flexed is it?

Apparently it was Alpine who worked this out, the fingers being pointed at Red Bull & Ferrari, says it will be banned/checked from France onwards.
(05-07-2022, 01:04 PM)morini Wrote:  
(05-07-2022, 12:57 PM)Westie Wrote:  Will be interesting to see if shining a spotlight on those teams being "flexible" with the rules changes the pecking order. 

It is typical F1, designers and engineers are always going to push right to the legal limit and I have no real problem with it. Fine line between innovation and cheating in this sport.
(05-07-2022, 01:12 PM)NeilP Wrote:  I have no problem whatsoever with teams pushing the boundaries its what F1 has always been about to me.

Yup Its what F1 is about, reading the rules, then read them again to get around them with loop holes, clever feckers the lot of em!    Cool

[+] 3 users Like PapaofGags's post

Former F1 director Michael Masi leaves FIA.     Ani-bird

The FIA has announced that former Formula 1 race director Michael Masi has now left the organisation.

Masi had been in limbo since it was announced shortly before the start of the season and in the wake of the Abu Dhabi controversy that he would not have the race director role in 2022, and would be replaced by Niels Wittich and Eduardo Freitas.

However, he remained in the employment of the FIA and was still undertaking some of his previous tasks away from the circuits.

He returned to Australia in April and since then the indications were that he would eventually leave the FIA once an exit plan had been agreed.

In a statement issued on Tuesday, the FIA said that it “confirms that Michael Masi has decided to leave the FIA and relocate to Australia to be closer to his family and take on new challenges.

“He oversaw a three-year period as FIA Formula 1 race director and safety Delegate following the sudden passing of Charlie Whiting in 2019, carrying out the numerous functions he was tasked with in a professional and dedicated manner.

“The FIA thanks him for his commitment and wishes him the best for the future.”

[+] 3 users Like PapaofGags's post

I hope the door blew him up on the way out.
[+] 3 users Like NeilP's post