Legalities and Rule Changes

Phew... that was quite a season but we absolutely need some basic changes to be made to the rules dont we?

Firstly lets deal with the obvious thing that remains to be sorted. Mercedes appeal.

Nothing is going to change.  I am not a qualified lawyer not that means much in todays world but this appeal is going nowhere. There are two basic reasons that is the case.  The judge, jury and executionist are one of the same the FIA.  They are never ever going to admit they made a mistake or were biased, that just opens the door for multiple legal avenues against them.  Secondly even if they admit lets say a mistake rather than a bias towards Red Bull you cannot change what happened in the race. Its run, its over Verstappen finished ahead. He especially did nothing wrong in winning the race, I have already said what Red Bull did was not wrong either they were lobbying for their guy their team.

I see many calls from your casual fan calling for the Court of Arbitration for Sport (C.A.S.) to get involved. My personal opinion yes I would welcome that I believe in a past thread I suggest that an independent body should review the FIA for its season and handling of races.  If you have nothing to hide then you have nothing to fear.  Now, do I think they will get involved?  No I do not there is far too much at stake for anyone to find anything untoward here. Again we are talking about multiple legal avenues being sort.

If I was the FIA I would publically admit that whilst no rule was actually broken the handling of the race was far from satisfactory.  I would apologise and sympathise to Mercedes and Lewis Hamilton and reaffirm that Max Verstappen is the legitimate winner of the WDC.  Obviously this would need to be handled with extreme caution from a legal standpoint.  They should then go on to admit changes need to be made and that indeed they will happen.  I see Ross Braun has stated there should be not direct communications between race principles and the race director.  That seems a pretty obvious one to me and should never have been allowed to start with.

So my question to you guys is what do you want to see changes to?  I will start you off with a one that have been discussed here before many times and a couple of personal suggestions of mine.

The safety car rules MUST be changed. No pitting under a safety car. Lets take chance and luck right out of the equation here. The only thing I would say is that a car may pit purely for safety reasons AND if they do so they will sit there for a given period of time before the car can be touched such as say 10 seconds. Furthermore after the race the team must prove beyond any doubt it was purely for safety.  If that is not provable the team forfeits any points from BOTH drivers and the team from that race.

The same to apply in a Red Flag situation.

The five and ten second penalties need to be reviewed as they are simply not punishing enough especially when it comes to giving the place back.

The overtaking of cars is an absolute farce and the whole rule on this needs to be changed completely.  In my opinion the best people to decide what is and what is not acceptable are the people who actually need to overtake. I think the drivers themselves should have a huge say in this matter.

Looking forward to some thoughts and suggestions here guys...
[+] 2 users Like NeilP's post

(14-12-2021, 05:10 PM)NeilP Wrote:  Looking forward to some thoughts and suggestions here guys...

Must they be sensible and on topic?  Big Grin

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 3 users Like forzaferrari's post

(14-12-2021, 05:39 PM)forzaferrari Wrote:  
(14-12-2021, 05:10 PM)NeilP Wrote:  Looking forward to some thoughts and suggestions here guys...

Must they be sensible and on topic?  Big Grin

Did I miss something?

Since when have your posts ever been sensible and on topic!!!
[+] 3 users Like NeilP's post

(14-12-2021, 07:02 PM)NeilP Wrote:  Did I miss something?

I do try Neil.......but im easily distracted......wonder did Ian ever get his wifes knickers off?  Laughing

Anyway, I too would like to see the pitlane closed during SC & VSC.......or......if stopping under SC/ VSC drivers must make an additional mandatory stop.
Driver coaching is another that grinds my gears although short of removing ship to shore radio, I dont know how this could be policed.
I wouldnt change quali in any way, but would implement a minimum lap time for those Not on a fast lap.....stop all this pissing around & interfering with those on a hot lap
Top of my list though would be to introduce some sort of concessions like in motogp
Edit: tyres, give them tyres they can lean on for more than half a bloody lap

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 3 users Like forzaferrari's post

(14-12-2021, 09:01 PM)forzaferrari Wrote:  
(14-12-2021, 07:02 PM)NeilP Wrote:  Did I miss something?

I do try Neil.......but im easily distracted......wonder did Ian ever get his wifes knickers off?  Laughing

Anyway, I too would like to see the pitlane closed during SC & VSC.......or......if stopping under SC/ VSC drivers must make an additional mandatory stop.
Driver coaching is another that grinds my gears although short of removing ship to shore radio, I dont know how this could be policed.
I wouldnt change quali in any way, but would implement a minimum lap time for those Not on a fast lap.....stop all this pissing around & interfering with those on a hot lap
Top of my list though would be to introduce some sort of concessions like in motogp
Edit: tyres, give them tyres they can lean on for more than half a bloody lap

Can we have a sticky in a thread which keeps a running set of regs we would like to change (unanimously voted for by F1Banter?)
[+] 2 users Like PaddyB's post

(14-12-2021, 09:51 PM)PaddyB Wrote:  Can we have a sticky in a thread which keeps a running set of regs we would like to change (unanimously voted for by F1Banter?)

Im sure you can Paddy.......but I have the IT skills of a neanderthal  Tongue

[+] 2 users Like forzaferrari's post

(14-12-2021, 10:36 PM)forzaferrari Wrote:  
(14-12-2021, 09:51 PM)PaddyB Wrote:  Can we have a sticky in a thread which keeps a running set of regs we would like to change (unanimously voted for by F1Banter?)

That is pretty insulting to Neaderthals!!!

What could be done I think is a list kept pinned to the top of the post which could be updated. I would look to the resident expert and all round good guy Morini to sort that out!
[+] 3 users Like NeilP's post

(15-12-2021, 02:36 AM)NeilP Wrote:  
(14-12-2021, 10:36 PM)forzaferrari Wrote:  

I would look to the resident expert and all round good guy Morini to sort that out!

Ok I'll display my....... "tech skills" ...... & agree with Neil.  Tongue

Morini we could do with some help mate.   Big Grin

Sure he's able to do it Paddy.  Wink

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 1 user Likes PapaofGags's post

(14-12-2021, 05:10 PM)NeilP Wrote:  Phew... that was quite a season but we absolutely need some basic changes to be made to the rules dont we?

Firstly lets deal with the obvious thing that remains to be sorted. Mercedes appeal.

Nothing is going to change.  I am not a qualified lawyer not that means much in todays world but this appeal is going nowhere. There are two basic reasons that is the case.  The judge, jury and executionist are one of the same the FIA.  They are never ever going to admit they made a mistake or were biased, that just opens the door for multiple legal avenues against them.  Secondly even if they admit lets say a mistake rather than a bias towards Red Bull you cannot change what happened in the race. Its run, its over Verstappen finished ahead. He especially did nothing wrong in winning the race, I have already said what Red Bull did was not wrong either they were lobbying for their guy their team.

I see many calls from your casual fan calling for the Court of Arbitration for Sport (C.A.S.) to get involved. My personal opinion yes I would welcome that I believe in a past thread I suggest that an independent body should review the FIA for its season and handling of races.  If you have nothing to hide then you have nothing to fear.  Now, do I think they will get involved?  No I do not there is far too much at stake for anyone to find anything untoward here. Again we are talking about multiple legal avenues being sort.

If I was the FIA I would publically admit that whilst no rule was actually broken the handling of the race was far from satisfactory.  I would apologise and sympathise to Mercedes and Lewis Hamilton and reaffirm that Max Verstappen is the legitimate winner of the WDC.  Obviously this would need to be handled with extreme caution from a legal standpoint.  They should then go on to admit changes need to be made and that indeed they will happen.  I see Ross Braun has stated there should be not direct communications between race principles and the race director.  That seems a pretty obvious one to me and should never have been allowed to start with.

So my question to you guys is what do you want to see changes to?  I will start you off with a one that have been discussed here before many times and a couple of personal suggestions of mine.

The safety car rules MUST be changed. No pitting under a safety car. Lets take chance and luck right out of the equation here. The only thing I would say is that a car may pit purely for safety reasons AND if they do so they will sit there for a given period of time before the car can be touched such as say 10 seconds. Furthermore after the race the team must prove beyond any doubt it was purely for safety.  If that is not provable the team forfeits any points from BOTH drivers and the team from that race.

The same to apply in a Red Flag situation.

The five and ten second penalties need to be reviewed as they are simply not punishing enough especially when it comes to giving the place back.

The overtaking of cars is an absolute farce and the whole rule on this needs to be changed completely.  In my opinion the best people to decide what is and what is not acceptable are the people who actually need to overtake. I think the drivers themselves should have a huge say in this matter.

Looking forward to some thoughts and suggestions here guys...

Recent Formula 1 driver Nico Hulkenberg is unsure the new technical regulations for 2022 will totally solve the issue of dirty air due to the “extremely high” cornering speeds.    (MotorSport)

Writing on his LinkedIn page, Hulkenberg explained how his initial findings with the 2022 car from his simulator running suggested they would not be much slower or different to drive, and that he was unsure the dirty air issue would be resolved.

“They aimed to [make the cars] a bit slower, more challenging to drive, to have more focus on drivers that can make a difference rather [than] car performance and aerodynamics dominating,” Hulkenberg said.

“From my initial experience, however, the new cars are pretty damn fast and not necessarily slower than the last generation. The driving experience hasn't changed that much either, at least in the simulator.

“It will be very interesting to see whether these cars can really follow the car in front better. In the simulator, the cornering speeds are extremely high, so the risk of dirty air is still given and it’s difficult for me to imagine that following another car comfortably at these speeds will be easy.

“Anyhow, I hope we will [be] positively surprised. Once pre-season testing starts drivers and teams will find out how the cars really behave on-track.”

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 3 users Like PapaofGags's post