2021 Saudi Arabian GP

) NeilP: FP2 here we go. Lets see if we get anything out of this
(11:57:37) NeilP: First thing is how amazing teh track looks at night
(12:08:59) NeilP: Qualifying has the possibility of being a real shit show with cars trying to find room.
(12:12:03) NeilP: If early running means anything and who knows Red Bull doing better than expected. Mercedes not quite sorted. Pole is always important. I feel it could be crucial here.
(12:13:21) NeilP: Ferrari vs Maclaren could be awesome too both looking good early!
(12:33:55) NeilP: Lots of getting out the way issues on this track I can see some major accidents or at best some quali laps being ruined here.
(12:35:58) NeilP: Verstappen making the same comments about long runs being not so important as fast runs. Tells me Pole is going to be almost everything
(12:38:46) NeilP: Gasly goes third with a really solid time
(12:42:48) NeilP: Very hard to draw any conclusions right now other than there could be a huge slice of luck involved in qualifying and maybe a safety car in the race. Its pretty much neck a neck as it has been all year long.
(12:51:04) NeilP: Qulaifying pace has Hamilton 1 Bottas 2 (Very Close) and Verstappen 3 .25 second back. Perez is miles off the pace.
(12:51:38) NeilP: Maze...spinnnnnssssssssss!!!!
(12:52:32) NeilP: Hamilton taking avoiding moves
(12:56:28) NeilP: Leclerc into the way. Looks pretty big Thankfully he is okay!
(12:56:51) NeilP: Car will need a complete rebuild.
(12:57:16) NeilP: Turn 22 /23
(12:58:06) NeilP: That may be session over
(12:58:47) NeilP: Indeed it is!
[+] 4 users Like NeilP's post

I watched a recording (fast forward through all the Paul DiResta mouth shite'ing) of FP1, but not watched any of FP2 yet. Had a few things on today so couldn't watch either session live. I can see from the press reports that Hamilton topped each session, but from what I saw in FP1 Verstappen looked like he was trying to stamp a mark early doors by setting fastest lap after fastest lap at around 1.5 seconds ahead of the field. Looked to me like an "I'm the man" statement. Good strategy? Maybe, maybe not. The others were just building quietly. Mercedes race pace seems very, very strong, as usual.

Will watch FP2 once I get access to a TV (on a Friday night!) Laughing

My hopes for this race weekend is that Lewis Hamilton wins, hence in doing so keeping the championship alive. In an ideal word VB will finish second taking away any opportunity for any Schumacher'esque shenanigans in the last race.

However it turns out, this season has been very enjoyable to watch the on track battles. Less so the paddock interview childish nonsense and the media portrayal of it all (almost 100% down to Christian Horner IMO). The media has a lot to answer for in giving that awful gobshite so much airtime.

RE: this race - Hate the track and I hate the host countries values. But, let's not that spoil what we are witnessing. Let battle commence.
[+] 3 users Like morini's post

Hate the track and I hate the host countries values. But, let's not that spoil what we are witnessing. Let battle commence.

Lets put some perspective on this. In January the British Government approved 1.4 BILLION pounds sterling of arms sales to Saudi Arabia. When governments take these human rights abuses countries seriously then we can talk about sport following suit until then everyone needs to see the reality of our world.

Do I condone them, no I condemn them but it is what it is.

Totally agree with everything you said Morini, the spectacle is far better than the reality of the circuit.
[+] 3 users Like NeilP's post

Lewis Hamilton has been called to the stewards ahead of qualifying in Jeddah.

Under investigation for allegedly 'not respecting double waved yellow flags/lights' during P3. (not the Mazepin incident as no flags were shown at that time)

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 2 users Like forzaferrari's post

So that is an automatic 3 place grid drop. Game over.

(04-12-2021, 04:57 PM)NeilP Wrote:  So that is an automatic 3 place grid drop. Game over.

Cant say as I didnt see the incident, so not sure what happened.

Just seen there is a second summons for impeding (Mazepin)

Fuel leak for Bottas in FP3 means the team have had to change his PU for qualifying. He will now run another from his pool so no penalty

According to Alpine/social media Lewis passed 2 lightboards showing yellows without significantly lifting off

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 1 user Likes forzaferrari's post

Well simply put if Hamilton broke the rules he has nobody but himself to blame. On a seperate note but same issue I find the whole yellow flag requirement (not the need for or the penalty thereof) is a waste of time the whole thing needs to be looked at and changed. I do not have anything that immediately comes to mind but the current rule is ineffective at best. When you sometimes have to look at telemetry to see if a driver "backed off" that should be proof enough that the requirement (Not the rule) is almost pointless.
[+] 2 users Like NeilP's post

Doesnt look like a penalty to me

(04-12-2021, 05:45 PM)forzaferrari Wrote:  Doesnt look like a penalty to me

Not available footage here in the USA Sad

I just saw he is okay on the double yellows.

To be honest there is no way he should take a penalty for the Mazepin and Gsly incidents there were no flags even  so I think a repremand for the team and maybe a fine.
[+] 3 users Like NeilP's post

You know the chances of a penalty are bloody slim when whinger spice isnt even being asked his opinion Wink