2021 Italian GP

(12-09-2021, 08:34 PM)Antilochos Wrote:  What a surprising race. I was afraid for some boring stuff.

Fist, I love it for McLaren taking 1 and 2. Great to see Ricciardo finally doing well again. Good driving from both guys and well deserved.

Well, Verstappen and Hamilton. So Hamilton now has taken out four Red Bulls, that must be a record (funny, but to think about it not that good of a look).
Anyway, I think both guys are to blame but in my opinion Hamilton more than Verstappen. Verstappen had every right to stick in that corner, Hamilton left him no space and the curve elevated him into Hamilton's car.
I just hope this crap stops. I enjoy hard racing but this is ridiculous and destroying true racing and therefor a champion in the end that won by racing, not just the one that has fewer DNF's or engine penalties.

The stewards saw it differently though and so do I. Verstappen came from miles back, was at no point alongside, knew full well he wouldn't get past there and knew exactly what the outcome would be. Hamilton gave him room going into the chicane and had every right to take the racing line on the way out.

Read the stewards ruling in full. That was no racing incident and looked to me like Max preferred to crash than lose points to Lewis. Sorry, but that's the way I saw that one. I have the utmost respect for Max Verstappen's speed in the car, but his decision making is either shit or he did that on purpose. Which is it?

Hamilton the innocent party this time for sure. I think he could have gone on to win that one too (as he was on mediums).
[+] 3 users Like black's post

(12-09-2021, 08:40 PM)Antilochos Wrote:  Really? He was one of the few drivers with zero points on his licence (until today).

I've never seen Lewis take someone out on purpose though. As to him carrying licence points, don't forget some of those were for stupid reasons (e.g. Monza pit lane fiasco last year). I'm prepared to give Max the benefit of the doubt and say it was a rush of blood to the head / red mist today. But if I'm honest to me it looked like an ugly attempt to ensure his rival DNF today. A couple of the sky pundits thought the same. Max never knows when to back off.

(12-09-2021, 08:40 PM)Antilochos Wrote:  Lets  compare him with Hamilton (who did not had a clean licence).
Look at Hamilton what he did at Silverstone. Verstappen left him all the space (other that Hamilton did today) and Hamilton still hit him, knowing that he was going to hit him with that speed.

Bullshit, IMO. The Silverstone incident Hamilton was all over Max and got himself *fully* alongside into copse, realised Max wasn't going to back down and tried to back out himself. Yes Max initially left Lewis some room but then went on to chop across knowing full well there was a car alongside moments before. The stewards disagreed with me on that occasion saying Hamilton predominantly at fault, so we suck it up and move on. I still say that one was more of a "racing incident" than today's lunge. There was no way Max was getting past there today, seemed deliberate to me.

Interesting how quiet Horner was about it. He knew Max was hotheaded today.
[+] 3 users Like morini's post

I wonder if Red Bull will bring in Albon for a reenactment.      Laughing

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 3 users Like PapaofGags's post

Well that was an interesting race to say the least. Congratulations to McLaren for an amazing result. So happy for Ricciardo and what a mature attitude from Lando Norris to hold position in the interests of the team. As a Hamilton fan it was hugely disappointing.

As for the Verstappen/Hamilton crash it was all on Verstappen at no time was he close enough in the rulebook to warrant consideration. Like Morini said I was shocked to see the stewards punish Max because there is no doubt in my mind an 'agenda' this season. Did he take him out deliberately, possibly but in truth Max is the only one who knows for sure. My gut feeling is no he did not. I will repeat what I have said many times before Max was not penalized enough in his early years this has made him think he is entitled to do anything without any fear of reprisals.

This is why I say Hamilton is still miles ahead of Verstappen as a driver. Anti he screwed up in Brazil with Albon for sure but in my eyes did nothing wrong at Silverstone and nothing wrong today. Perhaps Toto should be pushing for Max to be banned for a race!!!

Red Bull again bitching all weekend... god awful team. It makes it impossible for me to even like Max.

McLaren were the big winners today with Red Bull a close second. I was also impressed with pace of Ferrari especially Leclerc. Disasterous day for Alpha Tauri. Another good performance by George Russell.

Again today we saw the weakness of Bottas anyone can be fast on fresh rubber but as usual he burned them far too fast to be effective later on in the stint.
[+] 3 users Like NeilP's post

(12-09-2021, 10:19 PM)NeilP Wrote:  Again today we saw the weakness of Bottas anyone can be fast on fresh rubber but as usual he burned them far too fast to be effective later on in the stint.

Not sure about that one Neil. I thought VB drove pretty well today as it isn't easy to pass on this circuit (when you get up to the faster cars). Look how long it took Hamilton to pass Norris. Everyone has a dower on Valtteri and even I admit he's had a poor season this year. Today he did all he could and he scored all the teams points this weekend to extend Mercs lead in the WCC. Won "real pole" and "Bollocks pole". Can't ask for much more really.
[+] 4 users Like morini's post

Well done Danny Ricc and Lando, bloody awesome drives! ( though I think I deserve some credit for recently pointing out Lando was on his own & Mclaren couldnt rely on D.Ricc to perform lol)

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 4 users Like forzaferrari's post

I also have to say I was impressed with McLaren today and in particular DRicc who has been a long time sorting himself out in the orange car (papaya - give me a break, I would buy a shirt or two if it wasn't for the awful colour, in fact I did and they weren't half as good as they are this year). DRicc did very well today and if he now gets to be consistently like that McLaren should have a good second half of the season which will be music to my ears.

Lando was brilliant also, particularly the overtake using the grass.

I thought VB did ok, after all he came from 19th to being on the podium and although some luck was involved (the children squabbling in the chicane) it is still a fair feat. I would still be a bit critical in terms of his tyre wear but we are comparing him with LH who is pretty good at looking after his tyres (even though he constantly cries wolf on them being "tyres are finished, gone man").

So I genuinely enjoyed the race today. Sorry I couldn't be in the chat but I was repairing stuff at mums before selling so watched about an hour late.

For what it is worth (very little) my opinion is that when Max came down the straight and Lewis was obviously going into the chicane first, he decided that he was going to stick it in for a chance and wasn't going to yield. I suspect that he had some red mist because of the poor pit-stop but also that Lewis had at least some pink mist as well.

In my book, Max knew there would only be two outcomes:
1. Lewis yielded and gave him space - in which case he won both the head-game and the position - he didn't know that Lewis had had a bad stop though.
2. Lewis didn't yield and they came together - given the gravel on the other side of the chicane that was always going to be end of race for the one on the outside but probably both - in which case Max wins again (or at least draws which is still advantage Max).

I don't think this was an "intentional crash" but basically an "ambivalent crash" which sums up his radio quip before he got out of the car "that's what happens when you don't give me space" or something similar - he didn't seem particularly livid at all at that moment.

However I think that Lewis has done with yielding to Max after he (Lewis) made a few mistakes in both the racing and importantly press conferences and responses to questions implying he (and everyone else) gave Max plenty of space. I don't think that Max has adjusted to this yet and some of his style uses this fear as a tactic. There may be a lot more contact to come !
[+] 5 users Like PaddyB's post

(12-09-2021, 11:39 PM)PaddyB Wrote:  In my book, Max knew there would only be two outcomes:
1. Lewis yielded and gave him space - in which case he won both the head-game and the position - he didn't know that Lewis had had a bad stop though.
2. Lewis didn't yield and they came together - given the gravel on the other side of the chicane that was always going to be end of race for the one on the outside but probably both - in which case Max wins again (or at least draws which is still advantage Max).

The pass was never on IMO Paddy. Hence my thinking Max knew exactly what he wanted out of that encounter. I've lost a bit more respect for him.

Agree with the rest of it though, particularly McLaren getting some long overdue joy.
[+] 4 users Like morini's post

Reading the comments on the bbc regarding the crash just confirms to me everything I feel about Verstappen and Red Bull.

Verstappen after Silverstone and his disrespect comment walked right past a fellow driver in a major crash. Classy.

Red Bull. The most disgusting team in F1.

I just hope when the real big crash that Verstappen and his ignorant, arrogant attitude causes he is the one that suffers the most.

Sadly all this distracts attention away from a fantastic weekend for McLaren.
[+] 3 users Like NeilP's post

(13-09-2021, 09:42 AM)NeilP Wrote:  Reading the comments on the bbc regarding the crash just confirms to me everything I feel about Verstappen and Red Bull.

Marko and Horner are the biggest problem. The team are a bunch of good guys. But like you I will never be able to warm to them while those two are at the helm.

(13-09-2021, 09:42 AM)NeilP Wrote:  Verstappen after Silverstone and his disrespect comment walked right past a fellow driver in a major crash. Classy.

Well, in fairness Lewis was trying to reverse his car out of the gravel. Max could see he was ok, so I won't hold that one against him. The hissy fit he gave post Silverstone whilst "in hospital" was laughable though. That was purely designed to make Hamilton look like the bad guy.

(13-09-2021, 09:42 AM)NeilP Wrote:  Red Bull. The most disgusting team in F1.

Not the team, the people running it.

(13-09-2021, 09:42 AM)NeilP Wrote:  Sadly all this distracts attention away from a fantastic weekend for McLaren.

Understandable. The crash was the biggest news in what was (without the drama) a pretty processional affair. Lets hope the 2022 cars really do allow following closely. Apart from Lewis losing points I was very pleased with the result yesterday. Lando has done enough since he joined F1 to show he is a potential WDC.
[+] 3 users Like morini's post