2021 Monaco GP

Absolutely nothing that Hughes says is wrong. It's just when you look specifically at S3 in Barcelona, it's correlation with how strong teams do in Monaco is actually pretty much spot on. S2 at Imola also "used" to have a very strong correlation with Monaco performance. But we will see. RBR certainly weren't slow in S3 at Barcelona, but through the weekend they were slower than Mercedes. 

A wet Monaco might spice things up, or just make it even more of a procession. But I'm willing to give anything a go to help the race out.
[+] 3 users Like Jody Barton's post

(11-05-2021, 08:58 AM)Jody Barton Wrote:  Absolutely nothing that Hughes says is wrong. It's just when you look specifically at S3 in Barcelona, it's correlation with how strong teams do in Monaco is actually pretty much spot on. S2 at Imola also "used" to have a very strong correlation with Monaco performance. But we will see. RBR certainly weren't slow in S3 at Barcelona, but through the weekend they were slower than Mercedes. 

A wet Monaco might spice things up, or just make it even more of a procession. But I'm willing to give anything a go to help the race out.

Yeah, Barcelona may be a bit dull race wise (I don't think many of us would miss it if it was dropped), but as a circuit it does have "a little bit of everything" and has always been talked up as a good indicator of form for the rest of the season. This is why I thought it a weird comment by Hughes to say RBR's deficit at Spain was "track specific". Before the race his peers were saying "if Red Bull win at Spain they are set for the rest of the season". Now hughes says they lost but don't worry, it is "track specific"! Which is it then?

Don't get me wrong I know the guy is well respected in his field, but for me he's not much different from the rest of the F1 journos. Has said too many stupid things over the years for me to take him too seriously.

I agree with you Jody about S3. Mercedes did look a bit quicker, but at Monaco the cars will be in full "high downforce" configuration and the Bulls have always been impressive there. I see them as favourites, but we will know for sure a week Saturday.
[+] 1 user Likes morini's post

McLaren unveil special gulf inspired livery for Monaco

https://www.mclaren.com/racing/2021/mona...rix-livery

Looks ok.
[+] 3 users Like morini's post

Mazipin arriving in Monaco today  Big Grin

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 6 users Like forzaferrari's post

"Hamilton and Verstappen had an epic battle round the streets of Monaco last time out, Verstappen finishing second on the road but, after contact with Valtteri Bottas in the pit lane, was relegated to fourth for an unsafe release time penalty.

It means the Dutchman has yet to add a podium finish that counts in Monaco, which looks to change this season after a string of consecutive podiums so far this season."

I just read this online, bit taken aback Max hasn't had a podium at Monaco, still he has a chance of a podium/win this year.

Hoping Lando, Danny & CLK are at their best, they could really upset the apple cart.

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 2 users Like PapaofGags's post

(19-05-2021, 03:52 PM)PapaofGags Wrote:  "Hamilton and Verstappen had an epic battle round the streets of Monaco last time out, Verstappen finishing second on the road but, after contact with Valtteri Bottas in the pit lane, was relegated to fourth for an unsafe release time penalty.

It means the Dutchman has yet to add a podium finish that counts in Monaco, which looks to change this season after a string of consecutive podiums so far this season."

Monaco has not been a happy hunting ground for Verstappen. But then it hasn't really been a very successful event for Hamilton either, three wins and only two poles (just one win from pole) is a pretty dire record by his standards. Also, one slip up can be very costly and not just the risk of putting it in the wall. Remember 2017 where Hamilton didn't get a Q2 lap together and started 14th? That kind of thing can easily happen here.

Red Bull definitely go in as favourites, but it all depends who can handle the pressure on Saturday afternoon. Might record and fast forward through Sunday, unless it rains.
[+] 2 users Like morini's post

(19-05-2021, 04:52 PM)morini Wrote:  Red Bull definitely go in as favourites, 

Not saying you are wrong at all buddy but im not 100% convinced as the Mercs look to be much better in slow corners & traction from what Ive seen so far, plus they have a better track record here since the hybrid introduction... and as you say Max doesnt have the best of records round here... guess we will just have to wait and see.

Cant disagree with the Sunday comment though

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 2 users Like forzaferrari's post

(19-05-2021, 05:05 PM)forzaferrari Wrote:  Not saying you are wrong at all buddy but im not 100% convinced as the Mercs look to be much better in slow corners & traction from what Ive seen so far, plus they have a better track record here since the hybrid introduction...

Valid points. I think both RBR and Mercedes looked good in S3 at Barcelona. There's two things which make me think Red Bull will have the edge here

1. The cars will be in max downforce configuration (they haven't been up until now).
2. Softest tyre compounds used here. I reckon Mercedes might struggle to switch them on for quali.

Quite possible (likely even) I am wrong. But I have a gut feeling the Red Bulls will be faster here on Saturday (and we all know that is the only thing that matters for this event).
[+] 2 users Like morini's post

Could well be the case M, either way Im looking forward to Saturday a hell of a lot more than I am Sunday....hopefully we get a touch of rain... even if there is only a 2% chance going by the forecast

[+] 1 user Likes forzaferrari's post

Lewis Hamilton urges Monaco GP to act over lack of overtaking.

Lewis Hamilton has insisted the Monaco Grand Prix must change if it is to appeal to fans. The world champion highlighted the difficulties in overtaking on the narrow streets of Monte Carlo, which boasts a spectacular location but often less than stellar racing.

“There is zero opportunity to overtake in a race but that has been the case for some time, it needs to change, we have had the same format for years,” said Hamilton. “It is the best venue, the most beautiful place we get to race at but you know it is never exciting for fans.

“On the list of difficult places to overtake it’s off the scale, highly unlikely you would get the opportunity and I don’t think fans enjoy that. I don’t know what the solution is but I hope when we look forward it can be a more exciting race.”

Good on you Lewis, If they wont listen to the fans lets hope they listen to you.

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 1 user Likes PapaofGags's post