2021 Spanish GP

Jack Doohan is also in this race Forza. Another famous name and is indeed Micks son.
[+] 3 users Like NeilP's post

Marzipan given a 3 place grid drop for blocking Norris, qualified P20 will start the race, er, P20 like every other race....also collected a further point on his license....I presume its a tv license cause there is no way that crayon could hold a super license.

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 2 users Like forzaferrari's post

Near identical laps at every corner, only T9 + 10 differ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWb4ojUv...AMRacingF1

My previous sig was obsolete, McLaren ain't disappointing Heshy no more.
[+] 3 users Like Monster Hesh's post

Watching the C4 rerun. Billy Monger knows the score, the most compelling, refreshing presenter in F1 by far. He just did a great running commentary on the pole lap finishing up with "a very special lap from a very special driver" (or words to that effect).

Pleased we were all able to witness sporting greatness today.
[+] 1 user Likes morini's post

(08-05-2021, 06:00 PM)Monster Hesh Wrote:  Near identical laps at every corner, only T9 + 10 differ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWb4ojUv...AMRacingF1

Sure, but how often is it that Hamilton finds that tiny little edge? "Very often" is the answer Wink

Disappointed Lando didn't nail one at the end, but credos to Charlie. Amazing lap from him too!
[+] 2 users Like morini's post

(08-05-2021, 04:02 PM)NeilP Wrote:  Formula E from Monaco. Hmmm.  Its hard enough to watch a F1 GP in Monaco Formula E. Well I would have to be strapped to a chair with my eye lids held open to watch that crap.

Mitch Evans Amazing overtake over António Félix da Costa for the lead at Beau Rivage | MonacoEprix - YouTube   (9s)

I know a lot of us have different views on FE, that's fine, though I recon we would all admit this was a bit special.

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 1 user Likes PapaofGags's post

Meant to say earlier, I loved the Pedro de la Rosa post quali interviews. He clearly has a real respect for Lewis Hamilton having been part of McLaren set up when Lewis was brought in and was immediately fast in testing. Did you hear the "100 poles, I'm proud of you man" comment? those tow seem to get on well.
[+] 1 user Likes morini's post

Could not watch live and will miss race tomorrow as well Sad but just watched it.
Nothing really special. Two absolute great runs from Hamilton and Verstappen. Those two are amazing.

But, and it is a big but again, this qualifying made it clear to me that there will not be a championship fight this year. I said it before but I am sure now; the Mercedes is the faster car, there is a significant gap with Red Bull. Kudos to Verstappen for getting very close, but he has no change over the season. I mean, look at the number two drivers of both teams. All four races it is showing. Perez is a better driver than Bottas, but always seems not in the top 4 fight. Bloody Bottas, who I don't even put in my top 10, is always at the top. Nobody can tell me Bottas is a top 2 or top 3 driver. Like I said; the guy is not even top 10 and makes it so easily into the top (also in championship). Russell already showed us last year how a young guy with zero preparation even can beat the guy in the same car. Hell, Russell showed us this year in a Williams that he can beat Buttass.

So during this qualifying I got a bit of a disappointment that there will be no fight between Verstappen and Hamilton this year. Damn that Mercedes is good.
Not to take anything away from Hamilton. He is a great driver. But because of this they should get rid of Bottas and put a real racer next to Hamilton so the latter can prove the world what he really is about and with that give us a real championship battle. Now, he gets one handed to him I am sure. Some will not like this take, but that is how I see it. Bloody Bottas, seems like a nice guy but I really hate him being in that spot.

Got to have a 27B-6.

(08-05-2021, 10:54 PM)Antilochos Wrote:  But, and it is a big but again, this qualifying made it clear to me that there will not be a championship fight this year. I said it before but I am sure now; the Mercedes is the faster car, there is a significant gap with Red Bull. Kudos to Verstappen for getting very close, but he has no change over the season. I mean, look at the number two drivers of both teams. All four races it is showing. Perez is a better driver than Bottas, but always seems not in the top 4 fight. Bloody Bottas, who I don't even put in my top 10, is always at the top. Nobody can tell me Bottas is a top 2 or top 3 driver. Like I said; the guy is not even top 10 and makes it so easily into the top (also in championship). Russell already showed us last year how a young guy with zero preparation even can beat the guy in the same car. Hell, Russell showed us this year in a Williams that he can beat Buttass.

Quite weird really, we watch the same sport but see completely different things. 

I disagree with the statement in bold 100%. Sergio Perez has certain good qualities but I would never say one lap pace was one of them. His races so far have been a bit unlucky in some respects, but it is clear he cannot get the same pace out of that Red Bull that Max can (and he is making a lot of mistakes). It is hardly surprising though, given the Red Bull has been built to suit Max over the last 5 years. I hope Checo can bring the car setup towards himself over the year, otherwise he has absolutely no chance.

Is Perez really a better driver than Bottas? Over 1 lap, definitely not (no way in a million years). Bottas is one of the very quickest out there in my opinion and he has shown that on plenty of occasions, even before driving the Merc. Over a race distance? Maybe Checo is better, but he needs to get comfortable in a new car so it's hardly a fair comparison at the moment.

Is the Red Bull a quicker car than the Mercedes? I would say from what we have seen so far this year, yes it is in quali trim on soft tyres / low fuel. But the Mercedes is still the better race car. Hamilton is also the best driver in the field and at the top of his game.
[+] 2 users Like morini's post

I do not see it that way either Anti. Verstappen is literally as close as it is possible to be to Hamilton in all three races and qualifying right now. It will be a season long battle. One DNF and win could tip the scales either way this season.

I agree Bottas does not belong in the second Mercedes but we need to apply your logic to Red Bull too. Who has pushed Verstappen in that car since Danny Ricciardo? Answer is nobody. I am not even going to cut Perez the slack Morini does 3 races in he does not belong. As I have stated before he is a great underdog driver but when the pressure is on he cannot handle it. So many mistakes already this year. Sure he will get some results and may even win a race here or there but he is not in the same league as either Verstappen or Hamilton. The best driver for that second Red Bull right now would be Pierre Gasly and we all know that is never going to happen (IMHO)

I think this season is going to get very ugly between Mercedes and Red Bull. I see a lot of shots fired at each other which will inevitably lead to a massive fight both through this season and maybe more so next season. About the only thing that could fan the flames more right now would be if Mercedes snatched Adrian Newey from Red Bull. Personally not sure they would be better off I think James Allison is doing a great job and I am sure Newey would never leave I am just using this as an example to make a point.

Personally I am thrilled with the season so far. It is not only promising but delivering. With the exception of the last 3 teams all are closing in on each other which has made for great racing. At the risk of sounding and saying the same as I always do F1 has always been this way. It is a shame we are changing rules next year because that is actually (again IMHO) simply going to stretch the gap between the top teams and the rest.

Do not despair Anti. Hang in there your guy is right in the fight and has a good chance of becoming a World Champion this year.
[+] 2 users Like NeilP's post