2021 Spanish GP

So it's a rapid turnaround this week, 7 days to get the cars to Spain. Weather was supposed to be really hot this weekend, but now the forecast is for it to be overcast. Given the speculation (which I think might be unfounded) that the Merc doesn't like warmer weather that might please Mercedes. However, this circuit layout should favour RBR, certainly over 1 lap pace. I think looking back at the races so far I'd say in quali trim the RBR has been the quicker car, yes, that might sound odd given Merc have taken qualifying so far 2-to-1, but in Imola both RBR drivers made mistakes that cost them both significant time, while Lewis lap was utterly faultless (it's what he does). Then in Portugal Max's time was quick enough for P1 even with that huge moment in T4 that got his lap time deleted. He lost around a tenth & a half at T4 as well according to the lap tracker. So he should've comfortably been P1 in Portugal. So Spain is a real test of whether RBR are going to actually mount a challenge this season, because given their lead in apex speed in medium and low speed corners along with better accerleration out of the corners they should be odds on favourites here in Spain. If they're not when the checkered flag falls on Sunday we'll actually have to reappraise what was really going on in these first few races.
[+] 2 users Like Jody Barton's post

Im hoping Max can get a win as Merc have won 6 of the last 7 races at this circuit.

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 2 users Like forzaferrari's post

It will almost certainly be decided on Saturday as Spain isn't a track to follow / pass. That gives the advantage to Red Bull from what we have seen so far as the Mercedes haven't been able to optimise their pace on the softer compounds. By rights Red Bull should have taken pole in all three races so far, but in Portugal it was not critical (it will be in Spain I feel). The one lap gap at Bahrain was significant but I still believe Lewis is capable of beating anyone on a Saturday if he hooks up something special.

VB will be in the picture as well. Don't forget he out qualified Hamilton by 0.6 seconds in 2019 (I reckon he went "all in" on a quali setup but still impressive), so knows his way around Barcelona. As do all the drivers, in fairness Wink
[+] 2 users Like morini's post

[+] 1 user Likes morini's post

Agreed Morini, Saturday & lights out on Sunday normally determine the result in Spain. I kinda think if RBR leave Spain without the win it might be another season of Mercedes dominance on the cards. Looking forward to this one because as a track it really should give us some big clues as to what is going on with the cats & the pecking order this season.

(05-05-2021, 02:09 PM)Jody Barton Wrote:  should give us some big clues as to what is going on with the cats & the pecking order this season.

I have literally no clue what's going on with our two cats. The little shits still bring wildlife into the house every other day (and they are 13 years old now).

Smile
[+] 3 users Like morini's post

Not changing it. 

?

I now dub them F1 Cats & from henceforth from here on we should refer to them as F1 Cats.
[+] 3 users Like Jody Barton's post

(05-05-2021, 03:53 PM)Jody Barton Wrote:  I now dub them F1 Cats & from henceforth from here on we should refer to them as F1 Cats.

Well we all know the season is about

Mercedes W12

Versus

Red Bull Racing RB16B

Sorry, couldn't resist Laughing
[+] 5 users Like morini's post

All things being equal it is hard for me to look past Hamilton. He has won the last 4 races here and not always with the fastest car. Spain and Hungary are two similar circuits he seems to thrive on. Not saying Max cannot win he absolutely can. Obviously being a low speed circuit will probably suit Red Bull but have the changes they made this year made the car better or worse in low and medium speed corners than previous years because their superiority has not won them a race here since 2016 when Hamilton and Rosberg crashed out on the first lap and Max went on to win. Prior to that it was 2011 with Vettel. I bow to our resident expert Mr. Barton on such matters but I want to see it with my own eyes first. I am not sold on that idea.

Bottas is done, his performance in that last race was terrible and frankly his tyre management is atrocious. At some point he will collapse as a driver and I would not be shocked if that point has not been reached. I hope for his sake not.

It is a race that pole dominates. 3 out of the 4 races Hamilton has won in succession here have been from pole. The only other Pole guy in that run was Bottas in 2019 and as Morini said qualifying and the start are key here and sure enough when Bottas had pole in 2019 Hamilton got him at turn 1.

Its a race that is usually not much fun at the top but I am sure there will be plenty of overtakes in the midfield.
[+] 3 users Like NeilP's post

Well that was an interesting FP1 session insofar as nobody seemingly showed anything. I think that session was about race set up for Mercedes & RBR. The Merc looks squirrelly but fast, the RBR more planted but maybe a tad slower (who knows fuel amounts / engine modes), but it looks close again so far. But that was a nothing session for me.
[+] 1 user Likes Jody Barton's post