2021 Emilia Romagna GP

(19-04-2021, 07:41 PM)morini Wrote:  My view on the Bottas / Russell prang differs greatly from Neils.

I don't blame him for having a go, but it was very badly executed. Rush of blood to the head. 

What it showed though is Mercedes really do have pace in hand when it comes to race day. 

I reckon that mistake robbed us of a great finish. 

Very entertaining and enjoyable race though.

Lando showed is going to be right up there as a WDC contender (and soon too). He is owning Daniel currently and, frankly, I didn't expect to see that.

Yeah I also see it differently, though that's why we all love this place, you can express a view & it may differ to others but no one gets flayed for it.

Again same, I get he had a chance to really stake his claim & it was obvious he was going to try but that was clumsy at best, his actions after taking out the team he was trying to join/impress...... just wish he had handled the aftermath better.

I was really starting to think Mercedes were 2nd best as I still believe the last race win was taken/stolen but as you say Lewis's race pace was "rapid" so I'm hoping they are as close as it looks on a Sunday here on in, Is Mercedes tyre deg better?

Yeah we were gutted..... "what if" I'd rather he went toe to toe with Max to see who came out on top, but the recovery was exciting, I predicted 5th, Mama 4th Gags a podium......... & didn't we hear about it from him after! Haha

Yeah motorsport is back! & more to come!

We have been so lucky as Brits over the years, Nigel being most of our favorite, since then we have been spoilt with Lewis being so successful but with Lando & George the future is very bright.

Happy Brit F1 fan.   Big Grin

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 3 users Like PapaofGags's post

Morini, I do not generally disagree with you on the incident we simply see some things differently. The fact the stewards held an investigation and declared it a racing incident suggests to me there was sufficient fault on both sides to call it as they did.

What has got my panties in a twist is the way Wolff and Mercedes are treating Russell. Its disgusting. I am not so sure if I am George Russell I want to continue with Wolff as my manager. You mean to tell me Toto's words and behaviour are supporting his driver. That is a crock of shit. He is being treated very shoddily and the only reason Mercedes are getting away with it is because of who they are and their market position. Russell has to swallow his pride because if he says anything he knows Mercedes will treat him like an outcast.

Those who know me understand I am big Mercedes and Hamilton fan but not here . They are being arrogant beyond what is acceptable and being the big bully on the block. I cannot condone that. I liked Toto Wolff think he is good if not great at his job but in my view he has gone well beyond his remit here and he should practice what he preaches and shut the hell up.

Shame on Williams too for not standing up for their driver. Disgraceful. Frank would be turning in his grave.
[+] 3 users Like NeilP's post

(19-04-2021, 08:43 PM)PapaofGags Wrote:  Is Mercedes tyre deg better?

Well, Christian Horner thinks so and I agree with him (I rarely agree with that tosspot!)

Hamilton was significantly quicker at the end of both stints. The late fastest lap attempts of Max and Lewis were  both set at the same time of day on the same lap. There was almost 9/10th difference and that IMO is very telling. I noticed at the time and both Horner and Toto picked up on it in the after race interviews.

Believe me, both drivers wanted the extra point.
[+] 4 users Like morini's post

While we are all excited about the potential, and early show in the season, of the battle between Lewis and Max.
I think the real star battle of the season is going to be McLaren vs Ferrari.

Both teams have had their worst years in the sport recently, for whatever reasons, and varying lengths of hardships. Both are now vying for 3rd place, and both are insanely evenly matched.
Both have a young gun, settled into the team drivers, and also a seasoned newcomer. Delta between the drivers are running quite parallel between the two teams, with maybe Sainz getting up to pace a little quick that DRic, but no doubt more pace will come with comfort.
Charlie, we all know is speed, and some of the Q laps he can deliver. Norris performance is sterling, another very strong start to the season for him. His defence against Lewis in the race was really something.
On a personal note: Something bugs me though, with my judgements of Norris, I dont get too hung up on drivers, but I do rate them, and for some reason even though with reasons above and many more, I don't think "what an amazing driver" I want too, I know I should, but something is blocking the thoughts, maybe its his age. I really don't know.

Anyway: McLaren vs Ferrari its not a nostalgic thing, but it sure could be, there's just something about it. It's something that will have me invested in this season, more than I though I would be. Especially after supporting McLaren through the hard times of the last 7 years, with all the on track woes, and worse off track horror rumours, all coming to a head, for this battle with their oldest(?) rival.

Really is nice to see, hell, even McLarens Indycar adventurers are turning out to be pretty good. Might have to change my signature....

My previous sig was obsolete, McLaren ain't disappointing Heshy no more.
[+] 4 users Like Monster Hesh's post

(19-04-2021, 08:43 PM)PapaofGags Wrote:  
(19-04-2021, 07:41 PM)morini Wrote:  My view on the Bottas / Russell prang differs greatly from Neils.

I don't blame him for having a go, but it was very badly executed. Rush of blood to the head. 

What it showed though is Mercedes really do have pace in hand when it comes to race day. 

I reckon that mistake robbed us of a great finish. 

Very entertaining and enjoyable race though.

Lando showed is going to be right up there as a WDC contender (and soon too). He is owning Daniel currently and, frankly, I didn't expect to see that.

Yeah I also see it differently, though that's why we all love this place, you can express a view & it may differ to others but no one gets flayed for it.

Again same, I get he had a chance to really stake his claim & it was obvious he was going to try but that was clumsy at best, his actions after taking out the team he was trying to join/impress...... just wish he had handled the aftermath better.

I was really starting to think Mercedes were 2nd best as I still believe the last race win was taken/stolen but as you say Lewis's race pace was "rapid" so I'm hoping they are as close as it looks on a Sunday here on in, Is Mercedes tyre deg better?

Yeah we were gutted..... "what if" I'd rather he went toe to toe with Max to see who came out on top, but the recovery was exciting, I predicted 5th, Mama 4th Gags a podium......... & didn't we hear about it from him after! Haha

Yeah motorsport is back! & more to come!

We have been so lucky as Brits over the years, Nigel being most of our favorite, since then we have been spoilt with Lewis being so successful but with Lando & George the future is very bright.

Happy Brit F1 fan.   Big Grin

Great post Papa.

I wish we could see George and Lando at McLaren taking the rest of the fields lunch from them. One lives in hope!
[+] 2 users Like NeilP's post

(19-04-2021, 08:57 PM)morini Wrote:  
(19-04-2021, 08:43 PM)PapaofGags Wrote:  Is Mercedes tyre deg better?

Well, Christian Horner thinks so and I agree with him (I rarely agree with that tosspot!)

Hamilton was significantly quicker at the end of both stints. The late fastest lap attempts of Max and Lewis were  both set at the same time of day on the same lap. There was almost 9/10th difference and that IMO is very telling. I noticed at the time and both Horner and Toto picked up on it in the after race interviews.

Believe me, both drivers wanted the extra point.

That is very interesting PapaOG/Morini. I'd like to see Bottas and Perez brought into the mix. I mean Lewis always has pace left in his tyre, countless times he purple sectors at the end of stints, while Max can be a little lairy that probably takes that bit more out. Opposite to their teammates! So I think when all four drivers have a clean consistent race, we'll then get a good answer.

My previous sig was obsolete, McLaren ain't disappointing Heshy no more.
[+] 2 users Like Monster Hesh's post

(19-04-2021, 08:58 PM)Monster Hesh Wrote:  Really is nice to see, hell, even McLarens Indycar adventurers are turning out to be pretty good. Might have to change my signature....

I agree, it is fantastic to see McLaren on the up. You can tell Lewis Hamilton is sincere in being chuffed his old team are seeing improvements.

You know my thoughts on Fat Zak and the Indycar bullshit though. Really wish they would can that idea and focus on the F1.

Lando Norris looks the real deal to me though. He's getting better with every race.

(19-04-2021, 09:07 PM)Monster Hesh Wrote:  That is very interesting PapaOG/Morini. I'd like to see Bottas and Perez brought into the mix. I mean Lewis always has pace left in his tyre, countless times he purple sectors at the end of stints, while Max can be a little lairy that probably takes that bit more out. Opposite to their teammates! So I think when all four drivers have a clean consistent race, we'll then get a good answer.

You'll probably need to wait for a dry race to compare Bottas and Perez though. They were both awful yesterday.
[+] 3 users Like morini's post

(19-04-2021, 09:05 PM)NeilP Wrote:  I wish we could see George and Lando at McLaren taking the rest of the fields lunch from them. One lives in hope!

Ooooooo fecking YES Neil!!!!!   Big Grin

Lets live in hope!      Tongue

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 3 users Like PapaofGags's post

(19-04-2021, 08:55 PM)NeilP Wrote:  Morini, I do not generally disagree with you on the incident we simply see some things differently. The fact the stewards held an investigation and declared it a racing incident suggests to me there was sufficient fault on both sides to call it as they did.

Shame on Williams too for not standing up for their driver. Disgraceful. Frank would be turning in his grave.

Yeah, I get you Neil. I'm only commenting on the incident itself, not the aftermath or who said what to who in the heat of the moment. Toto is clearly pissed because it was incredibly unnecessary, but he should keep his anger behind closed doors and out of the media. I guess the stewards couldn't really call much else other than an racing incident, but for me George should have taken a "causing a collision" penalty (because he did).

Done and dusted now, but I know if George watches the replays and asks himself "how would I handle that if it happens tomorrow" it wouldn't be how he handled it yesterday Wink