2020 Bahrain GP

Do we think RG will race in F1 again or will he call it a day?

Overall it was an ok race in places, though it fizzled out to a disappointing anticlimax. Felt gutted for Checo but very pleased to see the Mclaren lads getting a strong result. It would please me no end if they secure third place in the WCC.

Good crowd in the the chatroom today as well!
[+] 3 users Like morini's post

Nice to see the FIA boss showing some concern

J.Todt: "Romain, how are you going to scratch your balls?"

Haas have stated that the impact speed for Grosjean's crash was 221 km/h - or 137 mph

(29-11-2020, 08:34 PM)morini Wrote:  Do we think RG will race in F1 again or will he call it a day?

Good crowd in the the chatroom today as well!

I suppose a lot will depend on the extent of his burns, as much stick as I/we give him he deserves to finish his time in f1 and sign off with a race and say Au revoir to his team.

Yes mate I fully enjoyed the chat & banter today....just how it should be.

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 4 users Like forzaferrari's post

(29-11-2020, 08:43 PM)forzaferrari Wrote:  Nice to see the FIA boss showing some concern

J.Todt: "Romain, how are you going to scratch your balls?"

Haas have stated that the impact speed for Grosjean's crash was 221 km/h - or 137 mph

Some interesting info coming out in drabs. Will be interesting to see a full investigation report at some point (if they are published like aircraft incidents). 53G has been reported as peak G  but the G profile will be more telling. 

I don't think he will race again and if he does his balls may be in a jar by the bedside courtesy of his wife.

Proper bravery by the medical car team (who are not fully equipped to deal with fires) and a vindication of the halo in my view.

Looking at the on-board, he definitely steers right which doesn't seem consistent with a debris hit on the right side so it may well have been an error on his part which caused the crash (Kyat couldn't do anything in my view).

Very lucky to get out intact, i suspect there will be Tec-pro or similar there next week or the barrier moved to be more parallel to the track in that section, as the barrier didn't do its job properly for me. It should deform and absorb the energy but not allow the car to get through.
[+] 4 users Like PaddyB's post

A message from the man himself

https://twitter.com/i/status/1333140470604701699

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 5 users Like forzaferrari's post

Really glad to see Romain is well. I doubt he'll race again this year if I'm honest. Have no idea how bad the burns are, but with a race this weekend and another the weekend after I doubt very much that we'll see him again.

Do we all agree that discussion about the halo is finished now? It is necessary and it saves lives.

As to the race? It was relatively dull out front. Lewis was in complete control I think at all points. Don't think Max was ever really a threat to the win, he was over 20 seconds behind when the SC came out for the last two laps. So I don't think Max ever really had an answer.

Elsewhere? Albon had a very average drive and lucked into third place, Checo was so unlucky, and quite frankly deserved his podium for a great drive yet again. If I were RBR boss it'd be a no brainsr tight now, I'd put Checo in that car. I just would. 

Another solid drive from Norris and Sainz, and a very good weekend for McLaren. At this point they're looking good for third in the constructors championship, and it all seems to be going wrong for Racing Point. 

Bottas seems to be the one switching off at the end of the season, not Lewis. I feel like his head isn't in the right place right now, and I don't know how he gets it there and ready for next season. He's having a nightmare end to the year, and with Russell driving so well it is questionable how long Mercedes will leave him in the second car.
[+] 4 users Like Jody Barton's post

(30-11-2020, 10:55 AM)Jody Barton Wrote:  Do we all agree that discussion about the halo is finished now? It is necessary and it saves lives.

Well the halo has proven its worth. Nobody wants to see people die competing in sport so the answer is "yes", halo has to stay, discussion over.

Nobody could argue that it is aesthetically pleasing though. The cars look much better without it, but like any of life's compromises you get used to the look of it with time. Personally I don't notice it too much these days.

18" wheels on the other hand - well, that change has no safety basis and I would rather see the idea binned. The benefits to tyre manufacturers are tenuous and it makes the cars look very odd. Looked at the F2 cars wearing those for long enough now and they will never look "right" to my eyes.
[+] 3 users Like morini's post

Yup, Haas have announced Pietro Fittipaldi for next weekend, and I just don't think Grosjean will be back for Abu Dhabi either.
[+] 3 users Like Jody Barton's post

Karun Chandhok: Interesting fact I learnt from someone at the fia last night, F1 introduced a new race suit this year which is heavier but protects the driver from fire for 20 seconds, whereas the gloves still only do 10 seconds, like the previous suits.

[+] 2 users Like forzaferrari's post

I think the gloves will change then too. Maybe they'll take a look at the shoes too, because that's where the burns happened.
[+] 3 users Like Jody Barton's post

Yeah, I would imagine you are right Jody and we will see the changes made asap....not sure there would be time to implement for the remaining 2 races so prob start of next season.

[+] 2 users Like forzaferrari's post