2020 Toscana Ferrari 1000 GP

(10-09-2020, 10:01 PM)morini Wrote:  
(10-09-2020, 09:57 PM)Beano Wrote:  Sorry I’ve highlighted area I wanted to reply to. I wanted to add they may just be starting out ie: Russell, Norris, Latifi as an example

Which is fair enough comment. However, there is no real way to get empirical evidence of whether these guys are quick to master circuits. With race winners you kind of can.

“Empirical” is definitely your word of the week  Big Grin. I need to google that one but yeah stats like these are formed by those drivers who have “won” races and started on Pole. Also I don’t think any of the current crop have ever raced Imola in any formula series I think

Hmmm, you are saying Bottas is the second best driver on the grid then?
I am absolute sure you know very well better then this Morini. There are only two cars best out there (by far at some era's, like this one) and there are not just two drivers good. And that is what I am trying to say; a lot of drivers are better then the statistics of wins show. And certainly these stats say absolutely nothing about the learning and adaptation of the drivers.
And to top it off; if it was just the driver and not a whole team of who knows how many people working very hard, some machinery and not only the car, that makes the result, it certainly would not be F1.

PS. I just got a marvellous idea; put Hamilton in a Williams, or Alpha Tauri for that matters, this weekend. Following the statistics he still should win?
Hope this explains best why I think your summery has not that much value.

(10-09-2020, 10:37 PM)Antilochos Wrote:  Hmmm, you are saying Bottas is the second best driver on the grid then?
No I'm not. I can't see how you could deduce that from what I have said? Though he is the second best qualifier on the grid IMO. Hamilton has had many more team mates than just Bottas.

(10-09-2020, 10:37 PM)Antilochos Wrote:  I am absolute sure you know very well better then this Morini. There are only two cars best out there (by far at some era's, like this one) and there are not just two drivers good. And that is what I am trying to say; a lot of drivers are better then the statistics of wins show. And certainly these stats say absolutely nothing about the learning and adaptation of the drivers.
It is the only data I have to work with I'm afraid. Everything else is subjective if you want to consider drivers who have not won races (I purposefully did not consider them). And if you don't believe that Hamilton and Vettel stats prove they are quick to learn new circuits just compare their results to their team mates over time. There aren't many circuits Hamilton and Vettel have not won at least once on. There are plenty Rosberg never won on, for example.

(10-09-2020, 10:37 PM)Antilochos Wrote:  And to top it off; if it was just the driver and not a whole team of who knows how many people working very hard, some machinery and not only the car, that makes the result, it certainly would not be F1.
This I can agree on. But at the end of the day the driver has to deliver on a track they've never raced on before.

(10-09-2020, 10:37 PM)Antilochos Wrote:  PS. I just got a marvellous idea; put Hamilton in a Williams, or Alpha Tauri for that matters, this weekend. Following the statistics he still should win?
Hope this enplanes best why I think your summery has not that much value.
No, Hamilton wouldn't win in a Williams. But you are implying from your tone that if we put George Russell in the Mercedes car he would get poles and wins on every circuit out there. I'm not so sure on that. He would have to start by beating his team mate.

Just for the record and as an example, the first time we raced at Sochi (and Baku if I remember correctly) when they were new to all the drivers Hamilton won both of those. Nico Rosberg was not a number two team mate.

(10-09-2020, 10:07 PM)Beano Wrote:  “Empirical” is definitely your word of the week  Big Grin. I need to google that one

Definition: Empirical evidence is information acquired by observation or experimentation, in the form of recorded data, which may be the subject of analysis

F1 has lots of recorded data (in this case driver stats).

Well Morini, we see it differently here then.

That colour is really nice on the Ferrari today very striking! I wonder with Ferrari that they must have so much set up data here as it’s there test track. Surely a nice advantage for them this practise?

(11-09-2020, 10:47 AM)Beano Wrote:  That colour is really nice on the Ferrari today very striking! I wonder with Ferrari that they must have so much set up data here as it’s there test track. Surely a nice advantage for them this practise?

Yeah, they will know 100% for sure which corners they will be slowest and in which they will be second slowest  Tongue

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 3 users Like forzaferrari's post

(11-09-2020, 10:54 AM)forzaferrari Wrote:  
(11-09-2020, 10:47 AM)Beano Wrote:  That colour is really nice on the Ferrari today very striking! I wonder with Ferrari that they must have so much set up data here as it’s there test track. Surely a nice advantage for them this practise?

Yeah, they will know 100% for sure which corners they will be slowest and in which they will be second slowest  Tongue

Hahaha I love the glass half empty approach Forza although probably best approach or you’d be REALLY PISSED
[+] 1 user Likes Beano's post

(11-09-2020, 10:54 AM)forzaferrari Wrote:  Yeah, they will know 100% for sure which corners they will be slowest and in which they will be second slowest  Tongue

Laughing

The wonderful sky commentary crew said data won't be any advantage anyway. The teams will have everything they need within 20 minutes of running.

Onboard, it looks a great track.

[edit]
Ferrari either running a lot, lot lighter than merc or they have made a miraculous step in 1 week. Charles splitting the mercs currently (and a massive gap between Bottas and Hamilton too). P1 is P1 though.
[+] 1 user Likes morini's post

How are the tyre holding out?

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli