2020 Italian GP

(06-09-2020, 08:31 PM)morini Wrote:  
(06-09-2020, 08:27 PM)pennywise Wrote:  the only nation in WW 2 that had tanks with 9 gears...all in reverse.

I now have red wine all over my laptop screen. You twat Laughing
Italian red wine?
[+] 1 user Likes Antilochos's post

(06-09-2020, 08:34 PM)Antilochos Wrote:  Italian red wine?

Lol. No, it's an Australian (very) cheap shiraz form Asda!

We buy our red wine according to the "morini ratio" - divide the alcoholic content by the price per litre. Cheapest wins Laughing
[+] 1 user Likes morini's post

(06-09-2020, 08:38 PM)morini Wrote:  
(06-09-2020, 08:34 PM)Antilochos Wrote:  Italian red wine?

Lol. No, it's an Australian (very) cheap shiraz form Asda!

We buy our red wine according to the "morini ratio" - divide the alcoholic content by the price per litre. Cheapest wins Laughing
Big Grin
My wallet wished that I thought the same, but I made myself believe that life is to short for bad wine. Problem is, I am sipping whisky now with that same philosophy.
[+] 2 users Like Antilochos's post

(06-09-2020, 08:42 PM)Antilochos Wrote:  My wallet wished that I thought the same, but I made myself believe that life is to short for bad wine.

Bad wine is better than no wine! That is the only philosophy I live by Wink

(06-09-2020, 08:42 PM)Antilochos Wrote:  Problem is, I am sipping whisky now with that same philosophy.

I'm no expert on whisky as I've never liked it much myself. My Grandfather, rest his soul, loved his whisky and I always remember that glenmorangie was his favourite tipple. That is the single malt I always used to buy for him.
[+] 1 user Likes morini's post

(06-09-2020, 08:31 PM)morini Wrote:  
(06-09-2020, 08:27 PM)pennywise Wrote:  the only nation in WW 2 that had tanks with 9 gears...all in reverse.

I now have red wine all over my laptop screen. You twat Laughing
He He...I aim to please sir
[+] 2 users Like pennywise's post

Glenmorangie have some very nice whiskies. Weird to think that it is owned by Louis Vuitton now.
[+] 2 users Like Antilochos's post

(06-09-2020, 08:48 PM)morini Wrote:  
(06-09-2020, 08:42 PM)Antilochos Wrote:  My wallet wished that I thought the same, but I made myself believe that life is to short for bad wine.

Bad wine is better than no wine! That is the only philosophy I live by Wink

(06-09-2020, 08:42 PM)Antilochos Wrote:  Problem is, I am sipping whisky now with that same philosophy.

I'm no expert on whisky as I've never liked it much myself. My Grandfather, rest his soul, loved his whisky and I always remember that glenmorangie was his favourite tipple. That is the single malt I always used to buy for him.
He had great taste  ...Glen M is the best you could taste....no mixer..just ice....The Highlander's drink
[+] 3 users Like pennywise's post

Anybody else wish they'd had a tenner on the young French lad today?

[+] 2 users Like morini's post

Am I disappointed as a Hamilton fan what happened to him? Yes. That said it was his own and teams fault. I think the penalty was extreme. Many will say well its only fair because he gained a massive advantage but penalties are not supposed to be handed out based on anything but the incident involved. I mean I still cannot believe Vettel was not Black flagged for deliberately driving into another car in Baku!!!!!. The same applies to Giovinazzi but that was WAY after Hamilton but even so again much too big of a penalty in my view. Its about time F1 standardized the penalties. I mean in this case you either broke the rule or you did not its Black and White. Maybe in the rule book the penalty is Black and White. I dont know I am not that knowledgeable. I also did not like the fact Giovinazzi was handed his penalty first. That suggests Hamilton was getting favourable treatment and that should never ever be allowed to happen.

Anti you asked am I pissed off more because Hamilton lost. Fair question. The answer is a resounding no. I have been anti safety car from the very start of the safety car era. The reasons I say its very unfair is a driver drives his race as planned and then through no fault of his own can find himself in a terribly unfair situation. That driver does not have to be the leader either it could be midfield car who having a great day with what he has got and boom it just gets taken away from him. It is easy to say well that is racing but when push comes to shove what is so different about a safety car or the famed switch hoses on to the track at a random time both result in a randomness that to me is not what F1 is about.

Do not get me wrong I am thrilled for Gasly with what he has been through. Red Bull are now in an even bigger dilemma of their own making and as a person who really dis;likes the team I am smiling a very broad smile. As thrilled as I am for Gasly I am as disappointed for Sainz in my opinion he deserved to win that race he was second when that damn safety car happened and lost position because of it. Yes he has the rests of the race to win it I guess but it still does not sit right with me.

I do not know what the answer is. Its bad enough having built a lead (as Hamilton did today) and losing that to a Safety car but them to lose position ala Sainz is a double kick in the teeth. The one thing they absolutely could and should do is close the pits for EVERY safety car at least that preserves the order if not the spacing. Taking Morini's point was there really a need for a full safety car he was parked right next to access point, he did not need to be pushed all the way to the pits. It was on the inside of the Parabolica for goodness sake I doubt anyone has driven a car on the tarmac there in the last 25 years! I call it very suspicious.

People will go on about how exciting the race was and I agree it was. It was great to see new faces on the podium but be honest it was all about luck and chance and if we are dependent upon luck making it a spectacle then in my mind its not what F1 was. Sure I appreciate I am in a small minority here I get it.

I have always (well in my advanced years) tried to be objective about my sports, my thoughts on sports and I like to think I have an open mind. Do not mistake my concerns with Mercedes and Hamilton it has nothing to do with that. Both are going to win their respective championships regardless of today. I will also add that Hamilton has benefited several times from the safety car rule so I guess what goes around come around but that still does not make it okay in my eyes.
[+] 2 users Like NeilP's post

There are a number of things that needs to be said about today's race, firstly congratulations to Gasly, I said when the crap hit the fan he'd win, he didn't let me down. Great to see McLaren at the front on merit again, Ricciardo and Norris will be fighting for podiums next year no question.

Next Bottas and Albon don't deserve their seats in their respective teams. I've said it about both for a while now, but today proves neither have what it takes to drive the machinery they've been given.

The new engine regs mixed nothing up really, other than causing Honda problems and Ferrari a few problems too. I predicted elsewhere that at some point the FIA will decide engine modes are OK after all because it clearly favours Mercedes, which is ironic.

The SC situation. As some of you know I've actually been a marshal, and was actually asked to walk the proposed Copenhagen street circuit with an FIA delegation. So when it comes to marshaling I think I have some knowledge... the standard of marshaling today was poor. It has been at a few races this season and last. The two races at Silverstone the marshaling was crap too i both races. But today part of the issue was race control being trigger happy with the SC. Firstly the place where Magnussen stopped didn't necessarily "need" to be marked as a collection point, but it was. So if the marshals couldn't secure his car there it shouldn't have been marked as a collection point, so no blame on Magnussen at all. He stopped where he should. If it wasn't possible to secure a stricken vehicle there the marshals and race control should have spotted this firstly. Secondly they should have used a VSC initially as the car was out of the firing line. ALWAYS give your marshals time to assess. Race control didn't do that because they chose to spice things up with an SC...

And that's been a gripe of mine for years. I can't remember the race, but in 2018 I think a SC was called out when Lewis and Seb were brewing for a scrap that Seb looked likely to win, was it China? But it totally ruined the race. a VSC was all that was needed that day and we had the joke of a SC being called out bunching things up and massively disadvantaging the race leaders and others throughout the pack. If they aren't going to use VSCs then bloody remove them, and if marshals aren't able to make assessments of their stations then get rid of them. Not for the first time I think F1 is starting to look bad when compared to other formula, particularly endurance and touring car series, but also Moto GP where these farces just don't happen. I do think an inquest should be held into why the marshals couldn't use the collection point, and why race control hadn't ensured it was a suitable collection point if it is proven they couldn't remove the car at that point. I would also ask questions as to why a full SC was called and not a VSC. I hate saying it, but since Charlie's death the race day management in F1 has been poor as hell in general, Charlie got things wrong, but it never felt like he got them wrong for the "show" and too often I feel like that's what's happening now in F1 for the past couple of seasons.

As to Lewis' and Giovinazzi's penalty? Maybe it's a slam dunk. But the penalty in the rulebook is a 10 second penalty, not a stop go penalty, unless entering the closed pitlane endagered people in the pitlane. I think that's a difficult one to argue. Still they screwed up as teams, oh yeah and there needs to be a red light on entry and exit to pitlane to meet the requirements of an F1 track, and it has to be at the entry, literally the entry to pitlan, and on the same side of the track as the pitlane entry. So if Monza can't provide that it isn't actually fit for F1.
[+] 1 user Likes Jody Barton's post