2020 Italian GP

Second in a triple header, Monza GP. Will this one throw up any surprises?

Well it would be if you count Ferrari getting a car into the top 10 as a surprise Smile

(30-08-2020, 11:29 PM)NeilP Wrote:  Well it would be if you count Ferrari getting a car into the top 10 as a surprise Smile

RP have copied the Mercedes 2019 car and everyone is up in arms. I'm pretty sure Ferrari have cloned the 2019 Haas car this season!!

Seriously though, how can a top team go so far backwards so quickly? It can't all be lost PU power.
[+] 1 user Likes morini's post

To the original question... unless there's a hurricane. Or act of God there'll be no surprises. I expect Lewis to ace things again, and Bottas to have no answers, and Max to cut a frustrated figure in third while Albon battles for 6th and 7th.

As to the Ferrari and their customer teams, their engine R&D from 2016 was clearly all about circumnavigating the fuel flow sensor, anf ERS limit sensor to exceed maximum limits. Hence the super complex circuitry. So everything they've developed since then has been based around having way more acceleration, bhp, top end speed than the regulations should permit. Including their aero and chassis. They're essentially back to the 2016 spec PU in R&D terms going forward.

So yeah, it is all power related and we can see that in Silverstone and Spa specifically where their engine traces show they are over 100bhp down on last year, and their acceleration curve is way, way down too. No weird second pull moment / double curve in the traces. They were cheating. Everyone knows they were cheating, but no one is willing to go public. The problem Ferrari have now is they set the other teams an impossible target and Mercedes have all but matched it, presumably legally, and Honda and Renault aren't far off either. My gut instincts tell me it is a very long way back for Ferrari from here.

I think if Ferrari suffer another humiliation at Monza and Mugello Binotto will be fired.
[+] 1 user Likes Jody Barton's post

Renault podium.
but,
Renault and midfield will be more than 1 second back in qually. Which is what we see in races, when qually engine modes are nowhere to be seen.

My previous sig was obsolete, McLaren ain't disappointing Heshy no more.
[+] 1 user Likes Monster Hesh's post

(31-08-2020, 12:55 PM)Monster Hesh Wrote:  Renault podium.
but,
Renault and midfield will be more than 1 second back in qually. Which is what we see in races, when qually engine modes are nowhere to be seen.

I'll be very, very surprised if Renault get on the podium.

No quali modes from here on in. BUT, it isn't going to make any difference IMO - Mercedes will be able to use a higher "fixed" mode than anyone else and they'll still be faster than the rest in quali and the race. FIA have wasted their time on this one (and for the record I don't buy the reason they have given for doing it either).

Mercedes did not, I repeat did not use their quali modes for the whole of the Spanish quali or Spa. I do not believe for one second that it'll impact them. Apparently both Renault and Honda officially asked for it to be delayed until after Mugello. Ferrari have no quali modes, and Mercedes don't care, they know they actually gain the least from quali modes according to data. I think it might actually widen the gap in qualifying, which would be embarrassing wouldn't it?
[+] 3 users Like Jody Barton's post

(31-08-2020, 01:36 PM)Jody Barton Wrote:  Mercedes did not, I repeat did not use their quali modes for the whole of the Spanish quali or Spa. I do not beli be för One second that it'll impact them. Apparently both Renault and Honda officially asked for it to be delayed until after Mugello. Ferrari have no quali modes, and Mercedes don't care, they know they actually gain the least from quali modes according to data. I think it might actually widen th gap in qualifying, which would be embarrassing wouldn't it?

I thought Mercedes were changing modes right through the Spa event? What did Bottas mean when he asked "aren't we allowed one go each?" and he was told "not against each other". I thought he was referring to turning the motor up?

(31-08-2020, 02:17 PM)morini Wrote:  
(31-08-2020, 01:36 PM)Jody Barton Wrote:  Mercedes did not, I repeat did not use their quali modes for the whole of the Spanish quali or Spa. I do not beli be för One second that it'll impact them. Apparently both Renault and Honda officially asked for it to be delayed until after Mugello. Ferrari have no quali modes, and Mercedes don't care, they know they actually gain the least from quali modes according to data. I think it might actually widen th gap in qualifying, which would be embarrassing wouldn't it?

I thought Mercedes were changing modes right through the Spa event? What did Bottas mean when he asked "aren't we allowed one go each?" and he was told "not against each other". I thought he was referring to turning the motor up?

There are multiple high performance engine modes they can use, as well as a full deployment of ERS in one go, but none of those things are "quali modes" and actually won't be banned going forward. Push to pass (deploying full ERS) was actually developed by Sassi when he was at Ferrari and was deemed legal as it did not exceed the deployment rate over an entire lap. They still have multiple modes during the race, most notably for Mercedes their Strat 1 modes. Strat 0 is there quali modes and they've not used them during the last two races. This will not harm Mercedes, they've even gone on record to say it'll allow them to use their strat one race modes for longer on Sundays. My guess is we'll arguably see any gaps widen after Monza, not narrow.
[+] 1 user Likes Jody Barton's post

(31-08-2020, 02:27 PM)Jody Barton Wrote:  There are multiple high performance engine modes they can use, as well as a full deployment of ERS in one go, but none of those things are "quali modes" and actually won't be banned going forward. Push to pass (deploying full ERS) was actually developed by Sassi when he was at Ferrari and was deemed legal as it did not exceed the deployment rate over an entire lap. They still have multiple modes during the race, most notably for Mercedes their Strat 1 modes. Strat 0 is there quali modes and they've not used them during the last two races. This will not harm Mercedes, they've even gone on record to say it'll allow them to use their strat one race modes for longer on Sundays. My guess is we'll arguably see any gaps widen after Monza, not narrow.

Oh, right. That's bloody complex, to be fair.

I (perhaps naively) thought that all mode switching would be banned form Monza on. That is, teams pick a level / mode at which to run their motors going into quali and they then keep that until the end of the event. Have I misunderstood this? To me any ability to switch modes (strat settings, whatever you want to call them) is a quali mode. At best it's incredibly grey.