2020 Italian GP

Gasly in the Pen. I like the guy, he is worth another shot in the first team. More experienced now, it would help Max too.

Alex is struggling, let's be honest.
[+] 2 users Like morini's post

Well Bottas is contracted for next year so is Russell so I doubt that is happening

Reverse grids, watering the track randomly, drawing lots for Position.... I wonder what is next for LM

Happy for Gasly but my biggest disappointment from the race (no...its not hamiltons 7th) was McLaren could well have finished 2nd and 3rd in this race.
[+] 2 users Like NeilP's post

(06-09-2020, 04:47 PM)morini Wrote:  Gasly in the Pen. I like the guy, he is worth another shot in the first team. More experienced now, it would help Max too.

Alex is struggling, let's be honest.

Yes he deserves a shot but if I were him I’d dodge RedBull they are toxic with their drivers imo, and they clearly weren’t a good fit you could argue Max is ruining his teammates which is a compliment for Max also. Where else could Gasly go though? Maybe AlpineF1 in 2022

(06-09-2020, 04:49 PM)NeilP Wrote:  Well Bottas is contracted for next year so is Russell so I doubt that is happening

Reverse grids, watering the track randomly, drawing lots for Position.... I wonder what is next for LM

Happy for Gasly but my biggest disappointment from the race (no...its not hamiltons 7th) was McLaren could well have finished 2nd and 3rd in this race.

yeah bit of a shame but 2nd was a great result. Poor Carlos is gutted isn’t he

Neil apart from Ferrari destroying their cars, the rest was just racing incidents no fake input at all. Mercedes should of won today easily but that’s on Lewis and the Pitwall today.

I know it’s not popular amongst you Merc fans and Lewis fans but today is a breath of fresh air for neutrals and it was needed. Not everyone enjoys seeing the same results week in week out. It was unusual circumstances but I will take that thank you! 
[+] 2 users Like Beano's post

No argument from me. Mercedes are totally to blame. That said I hate the safety car rules they screw up the 'fairness" of a race and it goes to "luck". Some people I get love that fact. I do not. The pits should be closed for all safety car incidents in my opinion. Good race for Renault too.
[+] 2 users Like NeilP's post

(06-09-2020, 05:02 PM)NeilP Wrote:  No argument from me. Mercedes are totally to blame. That said I hate the safety car rules they screw up the 'fairness" of a race and it goes to "luck". Some people I get love that fact. I do not. The pits should be closed for all safety car incidents in my opinion. Good race for Renault too.

safety cars are part of F1 Neil that is the unpredictability side of it. Anyway let us neutrals enjoy our moment no “get in there Lewis” is like having a nine hour uninterrupted sleep” a thing of rarity and beauty  Tongue

(06-09-2020, 04:49 PM)NeilP Wrote:  
 my biggest disappointment from the race  was McLaren could well have finished 2nd and 3rd in this race.

I was thinking about McLaren team myself. About a third spot for Norris I don't know, but Saintz for a P1. Not sure if he could, but his team sure as hell didn't help. When Saintz was attacking for second so he could go after Gasly, they alread were holding him back, saying not to rush, take it easy, etc. It is that Saintz has that racing instinct that he said "screw you guys, I am going for it" and from there he went. What if that team smelled a victory earlier, what if they really went for it with Saintz? It was only Saintz, because even when he was going after Gasly they were holding him back, saying to settle for second. 
Anyway, great result and even without the weird stuff, McLaren was looking good.

(06-09-2020, 05:02 PM)NeilP Wrote:  No argument from me. Mercedes are totally to blame. That said I hate the safety car rules they screw up the 'fairness" of a race and it goes to "luck". Some people I get love that fact. I do not. The pits should be closed for all safety car incidents in my opinion. Good race for Renault too.
Neil, why does it screw up the fairness of a race?
The rules and circumstances are the same for everyone (except the budgets, team and car is not and you could argue that there is a bit of unfairness). Some are just better at it and sometimes things turn out quite well for one while bad for another. 
Could it be that you feel stronger about this because it turned out bad for Hamilton? Because this type of stuff happens all the time but never seems such a big deal.

I thought it ended up great with all this weird stuff. Of course I don't want this every race, but this track is usually boring as hell (and it was turning out to be that way) and thanks to the weird stuff it was worth watching. Maybe it helps that I don't support any particular driver or team, but this way we saw more real racing that we usually do on this track and is that not what it is all about?
[+] 1 user Likes Antilochos's post

(06-09-2020, 05:07 PM)Beano Wrote:  safety cars are part of F1 Neil that is the unpredictability side of it. Anyway let us neutrals enjoy our moment no “get in there Lewis” is like having a nine hour uninterrupted sleep” a thing of rarity and beauty  Tongue

Got to take the rough with the smooth wrt safety cars. You win some, you lose some. However, the first one today was pure fantasy, was never a SC in a month of Sundays (as we all said during race chat). That one was called purely to spice up the (at that time) very, very boring race. Double waved yellows at worst, maybe a VSC at a push, but never a full SC.

Second one was a nasty off (glad charles is OK) and was definitely a full SC. In fact, they red flagged it which was the sensible thing to do. No problems with that one, but the damage Merc did (to themselves, BTW) was during the first one.

It was fun to watch today, but an outlier in terms of results. I think the biggest losers (result wise) were RBR and Ferrari. Mercedes won't be too worried, they increased their WCC lead on a weekend where the result got away. Their rivals performance was in the race was dire, which should worry everyone who wants to see some racing this year.

Oh, and there is no way you can really classify yourself in the "neutral" bucket. You are only happy when Mercedes (particularly Hamilton) do badly, that isn't neutral by any stretch of the imagination. Good recovery from him today in any event coming from flat last to 7th, we thought at one point he was not going to retake the start at all and save the engine. Very pleased he did as he showed it is possible to come through the field where his team mate struggled to do that.

People will probably find a way to slate him for this too, but 

https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/...erre-gasly

It was good to see how natural that looked in the media pen too. No lack of respect either way.

(06-09-2020, 06:17 PM)morini Wrote:  
(06-09-2020, 05:07 PM)Beano Wrote:  safety cars are part of F1 Neil that is the unpredictability side of it. Anyway let us neutrals enjoy our moment no “get in there Lewis” is like having a nine hour uninterrupted sleep” a thing of rarity and beauty  Tongue

Got to take the rough with the smooth wrt safety cars. You win some, you lose some. However, the first one today was pure fantasy, was never a SC in a month of Sundays (as we all said during race chat). That one was called purely to spice up the (at that time) very, very boring race. Double waved yellows at worst, maybe a VSC at a push, but never a full SC.

Second one was a nasty off (glad charles is OK) and was definitely a full SC. In fact, they red flagged it which was the sensible thing to do. No problems with that one, but the damage Merc did (to themselves, BTW) was during the first one.

It was fun to watch today, but an outlier in terms of results. I think the biggest losers (result wise) were RBR and Ferrari. Mercedes won't be too worried, they increased their WCC lead on a weekend where the result got away. Their rivals performance was in the race was dire, which should worry everyone who wants to see some racing this year.

Oh, and there is no way you can really classify yourself in the "neutral" bucket. You are only happy when Mercedes (particularly Hamilton) do badly, that isn't neutral by any stretch of the imagination. Good recovery from him today in any event coming from flat last to 7th, we thought at one point he was not going to retake the start at all and save the engine. Very pleased he did as he showed it is possible to come through the field where his team mate struggled to do that.

ok so here we won’t agree, SC because Marshalls moving car at entrance to pit lane that’s a no brainer and clearly they thought the same. You can say they closed off pit lane but that didn’t stop Lewis or Giovinazzi going in.

Not sure how you detracted I just wanted Ham to do badly? I knew he would make it back through the traffic unlike his poorer teammate. the satisfaction toda is Karma for Mercedes arrogance on Saturday. I didn’t mind who won today I think it would of been harsh on either losing out. I couldn’t care less MV DNFs. He’s great and I’ll support as an underdog, but I have no affiliation to him or RBR. Hence I’m neutral and anyone breaking the monotony of Mercs dominance is a plus as a Neutral viewer.

Epic!  Big Grin

Best 1st lap I've seen in ages, went hoarse cheering the McLaren lads, so happy to see them fighting again.

What is it with Lewis & red lights? remember Canada 08 Hehe.  Wink

As I read Morini said earlier "put George in the car" Lewis showed a Mercedes can pass here yet Valtteri struggled to pass all race, disappointing.

So do you think Alex will sleep well tonight, knowing there might well be a Helmut on the blower in the morning...  Rolleyes

Mr Gasly Sir..... clucking bell!  Cool

What a finish, holding off Carlos at the end under such pressure.

My driver didn't win but anyone who calls himself a F1 fan knows what a brilliant day F1 had today, like I said Epic.

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 2 users Like PapaofGags's post

(06-09-2020, 07:02 PM)PapaofGags Wrote:  Epic!  Big Grin

Best 1st lap I've seen in ages, went hoarse cheering the McLaren lads, so happy to see them fighting again.

What is it with Lewis & red lights? remember Canada 08 Hehe.  Wink

As I read Morini said earlier "put George in the car" Lewis showed a Mercedes can pass here yet Valtteri struggled to pass all race, disappointing.

So do you think Alex will sleep well tonight, knowing there might well be a Helmut on the blower in the morning...  Rolleyes

Mr Gasly Sir..... clucking bell!  Cool

What a finish, holding off Carlos at the end under such pressure.

My driver didn't win but anyone who calls himself a F1 fan knows what a brilliant day F1 had today, like I said Epic.
It was a whole lot of fun!
[+] 1 user Likes Beano's post