2020 Austrian GP

(05-07-2020, 10:58 PM)morini Wrote:  Really disillusioned with how Saturday / Sunday was handled by the officials. They looked like rank amateurs and need to take a long look at themselves.

Completely agree, 100% correct no one could argue against it...…. BUT..... are you surprised?   F1....  Confused

"clever people & common sense"     Rolleyes

Think we both know Lewis will be on a mission now  Cool

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 2 users Like PapaofGags's post

An interesting opening to the season, the first five letters are the same but the track is very different indeed.  Firstly it was great to get back to some racing regardless of how the event itself unfolded.  My major concerns with the race itself were the poor stewarding and the terrible amount of attrition on the cars themselves.

Congratulations to Bottas he came from behind this weekend when it mattered. Sadly I did not see any practice or qualifying so I do not feel able to comment on anything that happened during those times.  I really like Austria. The circuit looks good and is in amazing surroundings.  Overtaking is possible and so is defending; which to me is equally a part of F1 racing. However these days everyone always wants more excitement. It takes a lot of skill to defend correctly and successfully in F1.

Thrilled for Lando Norris, a bit of an unsung driver given the impending super star status of Leclerc and Verstappen. I give a shout out to George Russell too. I wonder what he is capable of in the right car. He looks the part to me from where I sit.

I have never been a fan of safety cars.  Yes they make the race more unpredictable and I guess exciting to the average fan but it still really rankles with me you can dominate a race and through no fault of your own not even finish on the podium.  You can build a lead, drive a to a plan and have it totally thrown in your face. I do not know what the answer is, maybe there is no answer. I would suggest that if we can have a point for the fastest lap why not a point or more for a race leader if they lose places through no fault of their own with a safety car and unlucky timing for pit stops but rather the circumstances of the race. I know it could/would be a bit of a Disney idea but I am sure you get my point. It is not happening and I can hear the cry of thats Formula 1 some you win some you lose. I know. I get it.

Talking of some you win some you lose I think Hamilton was very unlucky to be penalized with his coming together with Albon.  Overtaking on a corner is a huge risk and I admire Albon and his effort.  Was he in front of Hamilton when they hit, yes absolutely he was but how was Hamilton supposed to react mid corner to that in a split second when he has already chosen his line of (in this case) defense. Maybe I am biased because I root for Hamilton to win every race but I also think I am open minded in all my sports and indeed life to the ideas of others. I am a big fan of Albon as you guys probably already know but he showed his inexperience and poor judgement on that corner overtake. He had Hamilton for the taking whenever he wanted but rushed it and mental mistake highlights the differences that separates the good from the great . Pick your moment wisely Alex. It is a case of what could have been for you.

Its all too easy to pick on Sebastian Vettel but has he to use the vernacular "Mailed it in"? That was as lame a race as I can recall from him.  To be honest as a racing fan and a human being I feel for him I truly do. I dont mean feel sorry for his life he is made and some and from what we see from the outside happy. His achievements will mark him out as an all time great regardless of what is written and said about him. Nobody says Fangio had no real competition and barely raced more than a single hand of races each year. Nobody says the same about Clark either. Its always about the car AND the driver. One without the other has next to no chance of winning Championships.

I think its fair to say that Mercedes and their drivers must be favourites for both titles although the gearbox issues are obviously a concern. I am already excited to see what McLaren can do with a Mecedes engine in next season but that is on hold for now.

Its good to be back in all senses of the word but my excitement is a little on hold right now, maybe its just the way things are in the world.

Stay safe everyone its good to "see" you all.
[+] 4 users Like NeilP's post

(06-07-2020, 02:36 AM)NeilP Wrote:  Stay safe everyone its good to "see" you all.

Good to see you too Neil. In fact, nice to see so many members logged on and commenting during / after  the race. The place has been like a ghost town since winter testing.

Most of what you say is spot on but I'm not sure I agree with this circuit being a good one, I actually think the opposite and have never really liked it much. It's very difficult to follow / overtake without a tyre advantage, they put an extra DRS zone in and that hasn't helped either. Lewis pass on Albon early in the race was far too easy, he breezed on by before the braking zone was anywhere near. Kind of "not the answer". Like you, I don't like safety cars but unfortunately races like this one need them otherwise they'd not be interesting at all.

Are the Mercedes gearbox problems real? Anybody have any information on that? I was (still am) suspecting a lot of that was to discourage the drivers from taking each other out. Hamilton looked a lot quicker than Bottas in race trim (Jody pointed out on Friday that was the case and he was correct) yet Bottas was doing a determined job of holding position. The chances are they would have had contact at some point if they let them fight all the way. My gut says that they didn't really have major gearbox problems but it was a means of ensuring the one two finish.

Disappointingly I think the Mercedes performance advantage is way too big. This is only a 63 second lap and the gaps were enormous. Rumours are that the second race at this circuit could be wet. I'm hoping so as that may well level the field a bit (or not, we will see).
[+] 3 users Like morini's post

(06-07-2020, 12:43 AM)PapaofGags Wrote:  Completely agree, 100% correct no one could argue against it...…. BUT..... are you surprised?   F1....  Confused

No Papa, I'm not surprised in the slightest. Disappointed, but not surprised.

And VB deserved his win, no question. I was impressed with how he built up over the weekend and only showed his hand during Q2 / Q3. Nobody could say he wasn't handed all the cards on race day though! Made his Sunday job a lot easier for sure (too easy), which is why the circumstances in the stewards room spoiled the race for me. It meant we didn't get to see a fair fight between the two title challengers at the start of the race.

Red Bull are going to need to do a lot more complaining to the stewards this year though, because their car just isn't fast enough to compete. That much was blatantly clear this weekend, it was only SC's which put a Red Bull car in the vicinity of a Mercedes yesterday. They were nowhere near Mercedes race pace.
[+] 4 users Like morini's post

I enjoyed the first race of the season but it was entertaining for the wrong reasons really. Brilliant seeing a podium for one of our upcoming Brits, strange circumstances but it will give Lando confidence in buckets. Couldn't wish it on a nicer guy. I don't think McLaren will get too excited though as they did look very ordinary at the start of the race. Pink cars not as quick in the race as I expected either.

Who was it who said Carlos Sainz may be regretting signing for Ferrari? Lol, I'd have to say, going on yesterdays showing he's probably looking for a get out clause Big Grin

When I look fast, I'm not smooth and I am going slowly. And when I look slow, I am smooth and going fast.
[+] 2 users Like The Professor's post

I have posted up a thread up for the next race in this double header so we can differentiate and keep the events separate

https://www.f1banter.co.uk/showthread.php?tid=650
[+] 2 users Like morini's post

Red Bull Formula 1 boss Christian Horner says Lewis Hamilton is the one who perhaps needs to race differently in the future, following his second clash with Alex Albon in three races. (Autosport)

Wolf when asked about the challenge of Red Bull both on and off the track in the season ahead, sent a very clear message.  (GP Fans)

Wolff said: "I thought the protest on Friday was actually fair play, but not on Sunday. 

Coming back on Sunday morning, turning around a decision from yesterday, if you have new evidence, that is what the rules allow, you have to take that on the chin. 

"But coming back to your question - the gloves are off." 

Hehe getting tasty    Wink

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 2 users Like PapaofGags's post

Driver ratings are up on the sky sports website (I would post a link but I don't like giving the muppets air time on here).

Predictably the media are on his back already and Hamilton given an (undeserved IMO) low score. Myself, I didn't think he had a 7.5 weekend, his only mistake was not lifting under a yellow on Saturday and that was marginal. No mention that he was actually the fastest car on the track in race trim, was catching Bottas at a very good rate before the first SC. The incident with poor Albon was unfortunate, but I've seen it many times now and I really am not sure what else he could have done. It was 50:50 at best. I'd have given Bottas a 9 and Hamilton a 8.5 for the weekend as a whole.
[+] 3 users Like morini's post

The sky driver ratings always laughable at best. However I am not sure where/how you determine "Predictably the media are on his back already and Hamilton given an (undeserved IMO) low score.

Yes I think Lewis deserved around the "8" mark for his performance (it wasnt his usual stellar drive that we have all come to expect from him)... but from the below article I dont see them "being on Lewis`s back already"....perhaps I just see things from a different perspective.

Sky driver ratings:

Rather like the man whose biggest records he's chasing this year, Michael Schumacher, the Austrian GP has not always been the kindest to Lewis Hamilton.
Still, the world champion looked to have hit the new season absolutely running by topping all three practice sessions on Friday and Saturday morning. Yet Bottas edged the pole battle in qualifying with Hamilton - eventually, once the stewards viewed the conclusive evidence - dropping down to fifth on the grid for not slowing for yellow lights. He was up to second by the race's 11th lap and fast-catching Bottas, but the first Safety Car cut down his strategy options considerably.

Mercedes' subsequent reliability worries, two more quick-fire Safety Cars, and a tangle with Alex Albon which he was penalised for meant that the opening weekend ultimately just didn't quite work out for the six-time champion. "I drove my heart out in the race, I did everything I could - but it was just one of those weekends. There are lots of areas where I can improve," concluded Hamilton, who is again playing points catch-up after race one of a shortened season.

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 1 user Likes forzaferrari's post

(06-07-2020, 01:15 PM)forzaferrari Wrote:  The sky driver ratings always laughable at best. However I am not sure where/how you determine "Predictably the media are on his back already and Hamilton given an (undeserved IMO) low score.

Yes I think Lewis deserved around the "8" mark for his performance (it wasnt his usual stellar drive that we have all come to expect from him)... but from the below article I don't see them "being on Lewis`s back already"....perhaps I just see things from a different perspective.

Maybe, yes. Perhaps I don't see the media coverage of Lewis Hamilton it the same way as you. I think they needle him a lot more than other drivers whenever he has setbacks. I felt as an all round weekend performance the guy actually drove very, very well. He'd definitely have finished second (minimum) without the carnage, which is damn good going considering he was handed a massive disadvantage just before lights out. He said that did not destabilise him, but I'm not sure how something like that can do anything but destabilise you? Good test of character though, I'm pretty sure he will bounce back.

Whatever anyone says I reckon Hamilton and Mercedes are holding a pretty big grudge against Red Bull now (which is only a good thing in my eyes). Also, I hope he tells Horner to f*ck off regarding an apology to Alex Albon too. I've had my views changed on that one since re-watching the link Paps put up yesterday multiple times. Alex actually had a fair bit more room to use on the outside but chose not to and cut across. If the roles were reversed and a more experienced driver was trying that move on the outside I'm pretty sure they'd have made it stick by staying out wide and not cutting across. No more than a 50:50, but I do feel sorry for Alex as he drove well all weekend. I hope he gets a podium soon to compensate for that.
[+] 2 users Like morini's post