2020 Australian GP - event cancelled

It's going to really impact F1 and other global Motorsports this year I think. There are rumours the IOC is planning to meet within the next 48 hours to discuss "postponing" or cancelling the Olympics. If that happens I can't see how in all honesty the global road show that is F1 could continue. We might end up with a WDC and WCC decided by a handful of races.
[+] 4 users Like Jody Barton's post

@PeterDWindsor reports three more F1 team members are in quarantine due to coronavirus fears.

That's on top of the two members from Haas and one from McLaren who were placed in quarantine last night.

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 2 users Like forzaferrari's post

Pit lane open for spectators and not a face mask in sight  Tongue

Hamilton says what many think: "I am very surprised that we are here. It is good that we have races, but it is incredible that we are sitting here. They have already suspended the NBA, while F1 continues ... Money is king".

Sebastian Vettel says Formula 1 drivers would have no qualms in "pulling the handbrake" on the Australian Grand Prix if the coronavirus situation escalates....bit late now that everyone is already there is it not?

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 4 users Like forzaferrari's post

Honestly, I agree with the comments both Seb and Lewis have made. Seb's comments about dragging mechanics and staff away from their families for over a month being unfair and heart breaking shows what a decent and genuinely caring bloke he is. Lewis saying why are we all here, we're putting people at risk, and what for? Money? Also shows he actually cares too. I don't think the FIA and Liberty Media realise just how bad this might get. Nearly 200 people died in Italy in the last 24 hours alone, and according to infectious disease vector models they're only just starting the climb up the bell curve. This could get very, very bad.

McLaren pulls out of Australian GP after team member diagnosed with COVID-19 (Autosport)

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 3 users Like PapaofGags's post

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/artic...1RFJ3.html

Yup, just came here to post the link. It's fucking insane. Seeing the pit lane open like it was and people reporting there being sick people in the crowd coughing over everyone is it any surprise? The FIA and Liberty Media have fucked the handling of this event right up. Sure, run the race, but cut down on the exposure people.

Talking to a bloke I work with yesterday, there is a school of thought that now that this is a "pandemic" to just go about daily life as normal and let it burn itself out. I thought that was an interesting and valid approach given the early low predictions on death rates and the fact that a lot die of flu strains every year in any case. However, I'm not so sure now as it appears there are 857 deaths out of 12,500 cases in Italy. If those figures are correct then thats 7%, a lot higher than the <1% death rate predictions that were touted a week or so back.

Great Britains strategy is now (apparently) delay rather than containment. I can't see how the hell that helps, to be honest.
[+] 2 users Like morini's post

(12-03-2020, 10:44 AM)forzaferrari Wrote:  Pit lane open for spectators and not a face mask in sight  Tongue

Probably because most readily available face masks will do sweet FA.
[+] 1 user Likes morini's post

Says on BBC news race cancelled.      Cry

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/51849163

& on their F1 site.

This weekend's season-opening Australian Grand Prix has been called off over coronavirus concerns, two senior F1 sources have told BBC Sport.

There has been no official confirmation as yet from F1 or governing body the FIA but the news follows a McLaren team member testing positive for the virus.

Edit: (Motorsport)

The Australian Grand Prix is set to be called off following a team meeting in Melbourne on Friday night, high level sources have revealed.

Motorsport.com understands that in the talks with the FIA and F1 teams, a majority of squads said they were unhappy to continue with the event.

Sources indicate that the governing body said it would accept a majority decision of the teams so would now move to call off the event.

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 1 user Likes PapaofGags's post

(12-03-2020, 03:39 PM)morini Wrote:  Probably because most readily available face masks will do sweet FA.

I was joking, the whole thing is a shit show, Stevie Wonder could see the race should have been postponed/cancelled....dont wait until teams & spectators have landed en-masse then decide if the race should go ahead as the damage has been done, Dorna (motogp) are not perfect but they have taken a much more sensible approach in running the sport imo.

edit: favourite comment today from @MattyWTF1...."Rumour has it the F1 stewards are calling for coronavirus to be investigated after the race" Wink

[+] 4 users Like forzaferrari's post