2020 Australian GP - event cancelled

As there's not much longer to go until the start of the season ....

Too soon, eh?
[+] 7 users Like morini's post

I think we can talk about this now winter testing is over. There are a number of questions that I can't wait to find out the answers too:

1) How quick are Racing Point? I still expect them to be in a scrap with Renault and McLaren, possibly a bit ahead, but how cool would it be to see then nipping at the heels of Ferrari and Red Bull in Melbourne?
2) Where the hell are Renault? Are they the Renault of day 2 and 3 of test 2, or the Renault of the first 4 days?
3) Just how good is the McLaren? It looks good, the race stints look good, but is it as close to the top three as times suggest?
4) How much better is the Mercedes than the rest? It looks quicker than the others running in safe engine mode.
5) Can Mercedes sort out their engine woes? If so how far ahead will this put them, and if not how badly will it hamper them?
6) How good / bad are Ferrari? It's no where near as bad as some are claiming, and according to Leclercs race stint on Friday that's a good car.
7) What's the top 3 pecking order?
8) Will the race even take place?
[+] 2 users Like Jody Barton's post

The race will surely happen. Face masks a plenty, even F1 branded perhaps...
The elements might have another thing to say, today is 34 degrees, tomorrow is 17!! That could be such a swing in performance should it happen during the race weekend. We get all hype about finding out the pace order, then it'll be wet, totally fubaring a true picture,lol.

My gut feeling is that form is going to be as last year ended. Not taking or making any predictions from testing, just enjoyed it for what it was, 6 days of F1 binging.

Merc, Redbull, Ferrari, nothing special or surprising. Ferrari have been good here, after seeming to be behind in testing, but really it's a Merc track.
Merc's engine, for the sake of the championship, some problems would be nice, but i imagine it'll be nothing (hoping for McLarens sake that if there are niggles, they are rectified for 2021, when they switch back)
Redbull with its Honda, hearing testing, most entertaining sounding engine on the grid, off throttle pops and bangs are brilliant, they'll be in the mix, and like last year have a much better race than qually car.

Hoping that McLaren make the next step after finishing strong last year, and halve the 0.9-1.6s gap to pole. What that would do is put them in contention with 3rd placed team on the grid, which would be nice.
Perhaps same goes for Renault, but only for the sake of the team, it's investment and the sport, not from a supportive point of view.
Both teams had great reliability in testing apparently, which sure is a positive from Renault after 5 years..

Racing Point, been top of midfield in recent years, perhaps this years design takes 'em back there. They say they have a Melbourne package that was a tonne more potential so their form is highly anticipated.

Alfas and Alphas, Bahrain these folks will be involved, but could struggle here.

Haas, well as I said in the Haas team gossip, they need to have a good result at this track. I do feel for the team, but to retain both drivers was a bit baffling.

Williams, praying they are comfortably back into the midfield, and not seconds back.

This year, I might even get up for FP2, or at least up earlier for work so Ive got enough time to watch the first 45 mins before the race sims start.

My previous sig was obsolete, McLaren ain't disappointing Heshy no more.
[+] 2 users Like Monster Hesh's post

(01-03-2020, 01:12 PM)Monster Hesh Wrote:  The race will surely happen.

I hope you are right, but I'm not so confident with recent comments in the media. I refer to general comments regardig large gatherings rather than anything specifically about F1.

(01-03-2020, 01:12 PM)Monster Hesh Wrote:  My gut feeling is that form is going to be as last year ended. Not taking or making any predictions from testing, just enjoyed it for what it was, 6 days of F1 binging.

Exactly my outlook. I couldn't watch it all, but the bits I could I really enjoyed and was not looking for any answers. Definitely helped with the winter emptiness having TV coverage this year. I was impressed that sky did full sessions with no ad breaks.

(01-03-2020, 01:12 PM)Monster Hesh Wrote:  Merc's engine, for the sake of the championship, some problems would be nice

This I just don't get. Have to say don't like that kind of thinking much, sorry Hesh. I would prefer to see the teams fight it out on a level playing field. Wishing a strong competitor has reliability issues just to "give the others a chance" is a losers mentality. I know Ferrari and Red Bull teams would much rather beat a Mercedes team on top of it's game rather than wishing for reliability problems to keep them in it.

(01-03-2020, 01:12 PM)Monster Hesh Wrote:  Redbull with its Honda, hearing testing, most entertaining sounding engine on the grid, off throttle pops and bangs are brilliant, they'll be in the mix, and like last year have a much better race than qually car.

Remains to be seen. I can't really comment on the sound as TV's generally don't do the sound justice. I would need to judge that in real life - still trying to decide which race to go to this year. On board shots last year the Merc had the best sound (to my ears), onboard shots at testing seemed very muted on all the cars during the periods I had the sound on at all. Red Bull body language seems to suggest they will be in the fight this year though. I hope Alex Albon shows people what he's capable of and I genuinely hope Red Bull don't reign him in from the very start to favour Max. It is already clear they favour one driver but I'd like to see what kind of driver Alex is before they start making him move over to support a team title bid.

(01-03-2020, 01:12 PM)Monster Hesh Wrote:  Hoping that McLaren make the next step after finishing strong last year, and halve the 0.9-1.6s gap to pole. What that would do is put them in contention with 3rd placed team on the grid, which would be nice.

Williams, praying they are comfortably back into the midfield, and not seconds back.

I too am hoping for big step ups for McLaren and Williams. Always hurts seeing two iconic teams struggling. Both teams require a change of leadership though and I would sack Brown as a matter of principle because of his preoccupation with Indycar. Put an F1 guy in that role and forget about other series.

Also hoping Lando and George do well against their respective teammates (I think Lando has very stiff competition against Carlos Sainz).
[+] 2 users Like morini's post

Having just read the Coronavirus count increase in the UK, and possible city lock downs and big gathering bans, might change my view on the race happening. Might go with my previous thoughts in the Winter Testing thread, and the season being cancelled, or happening behind closed doors...

[+] 2 users Like Monster Hesh's post

(01-03-2020, 04:41 PM)Monster Hesh Wrote:  Having just read the Coronavirus count increase in the UK, and possible city lock downs and big gathering bans, might change my view on the race happening. Might go with my previous thoughts in the Winter Testing thread, and the season being cancelled, or happening behind closed doors...

MotoGP in Qatar has just been officially cancelled, although moto 2 & 3 will go ahead as planned.

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli

(01-03-2020, 08:30 PM)forzaferrari Wrote:  MotoGP in Qatar has just been officially cancelled, although moto 2 & 3 will go ahead as planned.

It's a shit state of affairs Sad

I fear the worst for mass gatherings over the next couple of months at least.
[+] 1 user Likes morini's post

Guess it's a year for Esports...

[+] 1 user Likes Monster Hesh's post

Ferrari are threatening to pull out of the opening GP in Australia. I primarily think this is because Australian authorities are discussing putting travel restrictions on Italian passports and people travelling from Italy. Someone joked on Reddit that it's probably because they hope to get the GP cancelled to give them more time to fix their car, but I call BS on that. How the hell could they even put a car on the grid if the aforementioned ban goes ahead? I have a feeling the opening 3 races are at the very least under threat.
[+] 2 users Like Jody Barton's post

SSF1 seems to think all systems are go for Aus. This report is new this morning

https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/...irus-fears

There's two weeks to go yet so I won't start believing that until the teams start turning up in Melbourne.
[+] 1 user Likes morini's post