(08-09-2020, 12:32 PM)PaddyB Wrote:  Personally I have no real problem with electric cars and (like it or not) we will all be driving them in the decades to come (even if we aren't watching them race). 

Not me Paddy Wink Not in my lifetime, if I can help it!

I'll always have a petrol engined car even if / when we are forced to buy electric ones there will also be a petrol engined car in my household. It makes me laugh, always used to have this debate with a guy in the office at the last place I was contracting. He was as "eco warrior" as they come (lovely bloke, actually) and he drove a Zoe (I think it was). He used to get quite upset when I told him his car was as eco unfriendly as mine but his Zoe did all it's polluting at the point of production of energy rather than the point of consumption of energy. Until the world has 100% clean renewable electricity this will *always* be the case.

Don't believe the hype blindly.
[+] 2 users Like morini's post

(08-09-2020, 12:32 PM)PaddyB Wrote:  Credit us with a little more sense Lewis, please! At least wait until you have retired from F1 before you become a tree-hugger! The two aren't compatible!

Careful now Paddy, you will be disbarred from the LH fanclub for showing objectivity like that  Tongue

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 2 users Like forzaferrari's post

(08-09-2020, 12:41 PM)morini Wrote:  
(08-09-2020, 12:32 PM)PaddyB Wrote:  Personally I have no real problem with electric cars and (like it or not) we will all be driving them in the decades to come (even if we aren't watching them race). 

Not me Paddy Wink Not in my lifetime, if I can help it!

I'll always have a petrol engined car even if / when we are forced to buy electric ones there will also be a petrol engined car in my household. It makes me laugh, always used to have this debate with a guy in the office at the last place I was contracting. He was as "eco warrior" as they come (lovely bloke, actually) and he drove a Zoe (I think it was). He used to get quite upset when I told him his car was as eco unfriendly as mine but his Zoe did all it's polluting at the point of production of energy rather than the point of consumption of energy. Until the world has 100% clean renewable electricity this will *always* be the case.

Don't believe the hype blindly.

I agree that the analysis has to be done on a "cradle to grave" or as one of my colleagues says "soup to nuts" basis and believe me when i say i don't believe the hype for anything unless it passes a dose of "well that's utter bollocks" critical thinking. 

I am however a realist and the introduction of hybrid and then full electric cars  is the only way this is all heading for most people. I agree that it will be nice to still have transport that will work "when the leccy goes off".

I also suspect that over time petrol (diesel less so because the lorries, tractors etc will still use it) will become more difficult to get hold of a bit like "leaded" did.  Not many options for those who don't want to be running a "classic" car in the future (like my mates 2.8i capri which he had to have converted with a tear in his eye to "Unleaded")

Probably a different thread to be honest.
[+] 1 user Likes PaddyB's post

(08-09-2020, 01:34 PM)PaddyB Wrote:  I also suspect that over time petrol (diesel less so because the lorries, tractors etc will still use it) will become more difficult to get hold of a bit like "leaded" did.  Not many options for those who don't want to be running a "classic" car in the future (like my mates 2.8i capri which he had to have converted with a tear in his eye to "Unleaded")[/size].

Well, the government are already pushing for high ethanol fuel and that won't run in most older cars. That will have to be gotten around with additives I guess?

However, I'm not sure we'll see petrol disappearing from forecourts for many, many years even after they stop making petrol vehicles. Certainly not in our lifetimes anyway. There will always be a demand for it.

Your mate did the correct thing converting the heads on his capri to harder valve seats. I wouldn't have tears in my eyes as it doesn't count as a modification in originality terms (not in my eyes anyway) and makes his car even more desirable / valuable as there's no messing around with bottles of lead additive. If I had a classic and it had not already been modified it would be the first thing on my list.

(08-09-2020, 01:34 PM)PaddyB Wrote:  Probably a different thread to be honest.

Probably! But you know this place, conversations diverge and it's impossible to stop Laughing

I'm sure Lewis won't mind us hickjacking his thread to talk about cars. Failing that we could always create an appropriate thread in the other section of the board and move the posts.
[+] 2 users Like morini's post

Most of the farmers (95%) around here grow corn that is destined strictly for Ethanol plants. All these plants have shut down with the price of Gas (Petrol in the USA) that plummeted at one time to 1.19 US per gallon (7/8 imperial) It has recovered somewhat but is still only 1.95 US here in Michigan (where Gas is highly taxed in US terms).

Its all very well people banging on about electric cars I just wonder where all this electricity is going to come from and how is it going to be produced. Most grids in the Western world are pretty much running to capacity as it is what happens when 90% of the people plug in their car. Geez the grid used to complain at half time in the FA Cup final when everyone plugged the kettle in for a brew!!!!

How does that tie in with F1 Well I will give you a tenuous link before Morini berates me. Formula E is NOT the future of F1. It is a genre of its own making .

Long live the King, death to Liberty Media!!!!
[+] 4 users Like NeilP's post

(09-09-2020, 04:21 PM)NeilP Wrote:  Most of the farmers (95%) around here grow corn that is destined strictly for Ethanol plants. All these plants have shut down with the price of Gas (Petrol in the USA)  that plummeted at one time to 1.19 US per gallon (7/8 imperial) It has recovered somewhat but is still only 1.95 US here in Michigan (where Gas is highly taxed in US terms).

Its all very well people banging on about electric cars I just wonder where all this electricity is going to come from and how is it going to be produced. Most grids in the Western world are pretty much running to capacity as it is what happens when 90% of the people plug in their car.  Geez the grid used to complain at half time in the FA Cup final when everyone plugged the kettle in for a brew!!!!

How does that tie in with F1 Well I will give you a tenuous link before Morini berates me.  Formula E is NOT the future of F1. It is a genre of its own making .

Long live the King, death to Liberty Media!!!!

Isn’t there a big issue of where and how the batteries are dispensed when no longer used? Is that not an issue itself? Agreed FE is it’s own formula but heavens knows what it will look like in 30 or 40yrs time!! Not that I’ll care because I’ll have the used batteries buried next to me  Tongue
[+] 3 users Like Beano's post

Yup, batteries are dirty to produce and dirty to dispose of, the `Fair Cobalt Alliance` is just yet another corrupt farce.

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 3 users Like forzaferrari's post

LOL, he`s the gift that just keeps giving  Big Grin

[+] 3 users Like forzaferrari's post

(10-09-2020, 03:59 PM)forzaferrari Wrote:  LOL, he`s the gift that just keeps giving  Big Grin

Nice PJs to be fair
[+] 2 users Like Beano's post

(10-09-2020, 03:59 PM)forzaferrari Wrote:  LOL, he`s the gift that just keeps giving  Big Grin

I see you've committed yourself full time to the fashion police now then? I'm sure it's the perfect career move for you Laughing
[+] 3 users Like morini's post