2019 Azerbaijan GP

Williams Formula 1 team driver George Russell will miss second Azerbaijan Grand Prix practice because his practice one collision with a loose manhole cover damaged his chassis beyond immediate repair.

The spare FW42 chassis is now being built up, but under FIA regulations if a driver making a chassis change cannot take part in another session on the same day.

In addition some of Russell's Mercedes engine elements are believed to have been damaged and may not be usable, which will move him closer to potential grid penalties.

"And for us as an independent team there are serious financial implications of this. We'd just taken the pressure out of the system and got ourselves back on an even keel.

"The chassis is split, and we have to revert to chassis 03.

"We're going to lose this afternoon's running, and we're potentially going to have to replace the ERS pack, which again has implications."

"It's just not OK."

After Romain Grosjean's Haas was damaged by a loose drain cover at the 2017 Malaysian GP, the team successfully claimed compensation.

Asked if she would try to make a similar claim, Williams said: "I think that those are conversations that will happen."

Second Formula 1 practice for the Azerbaijan Grand Prix will take place on time despite the cancellation of the opening session and subsequent Formula 2 qualifying delay.

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel

Well F2 qualifying was probably the most exciting thing we'll see this weekend.
[+] 1 user Likes Jody Barton's post

Sooo, *if* they are happy with the manhole covers being bolted down it kind of begs the question > did they miss/forget one?   Confused

Track looks really dusty 15 mins into P2. And LeClerc just had a brush with the wall.
[+] 1 user Likes morini's post

(26-04-2019, 02:15 PM)morini Wrote:  Track looks really dusty 15 mins into P2. And LeClerc just had a brush with the wall.

Lance's brush was more of a clump.....   Cry

[+] 1 user Likes PapaofGags's post

The tow Leclerc got behind the RBR was immense. I think we might get teams doing the tow thing... Ferrari will definitely do it after that, so sacrifice one of their drivers, so that'll be Leclerc, but Mercedes... that's a difficult call. Would not want to be Toto having that conversation with Bottas... because if Merc have to swing behind one of their drivers this season because of what Ferrari are doing, we know it'll be Lewis no question.

If leclerc has got away with that thwack he's a lucky boy. That can't be good for their rear suspension and gearbox. It was a hefty old hit.
[+] 2 users Like Jody Barton's post

LeClerc is clearly much faster than Vettel. Ferrari should back the lad. 6 tenths up on his first run and I'm not convinced his second run wouldn't of been quicker without Vet close in front end of lap.

He's fast. End of!

(26-04-2019, 02:37 PM)morini Wrote:  LeClerc is clearly much faster than Vettel. Ferrari should back the lad. 6 tenths up on his first run and I'm not convinced his second run wouldn't of been quicker without Vet close in front end of lap.

He's fast. End of!

Two things:

1) No he isn't, Vettel when he got a clear lap was quicker.

and 

2) Leclerc is running the updates and Seb isn't so we aren't comparing like for like any way, so who knows!!!

Also, engine mode and fuel levels permitting, the Ferrari looks great here right now. Obviously tomorrow and the Sunday are completely different days.
[+] 1 user Likes Jody Barton's post

Nah, LeClercs third lap was clean enough and over 3 tenths up. He just looks faster and more attacking than Vettel. It is obvious Vettel doesn't like having fast teammates. Look at his last RBR season for evidence of that.

Oh, and the track looks shit too. More lockups than a strangeways riot!

Maybe Morini, but 1st runs Vettel was .06 down because of traffic, second runs he was within 0.1 and it wasn't a clean start to the lap because of Leclerc. Third runs he was 2 tenths up when he had a clear track. Fourth runs Vettel got traffic in S2 and ended up 0.3 down. So we don't know. It's clear Leclerc is leaning on his car a bit more right now, which is certainly brave, but we don't know what's going on. However, I'd bet that the Ferrari upgrades are working well.