F1 Banter Online Forums
2019 Azerbaijan GP - Printable Version

+- F1 Banter Online Forums (https://www.f1banter.co.uk)
+-- Forum: Formula 1 Discussions (https://www.f1banter.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: F1 General Discussion Board (https://www.f1banter.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+---- Forum: 2019 Race Threads (https://www.f1banter.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+---- Thread: 2019 Azerbaijan GP (/showthread.php?tid=517)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

2019 Azerbaijan GP - Jody Barton - 14-04-2019

Right, I thought I'd get this one up quickly because I personally want to move on from that Chinese GP, because that was bloody dominant, at a track that Ferrari should have been strong at. If The red cars don't bounce back here in Baku... well... lets hope they do. On today's performance in China though I wouldn't bet against another Mercedes one, two.

RE: 2019 Azerbaijan GP - morini - 14-04-2019

(14-04-2019, 09:56 AM)Jody Barton Wrote:  Right, I thought I'd get this one up quickly because I personally want to move on from that Chinese GP, because that was bloody dominant, at a track that Ferrari should have been strong at. If The red cars don't bounce back here in Baku... well... lets hope they do. On today's performance in China though I wouldn't bet against another Mercedes one, two.

Right, Shanghai is over now and opinions are running heated in the race thread.  Whistle

For no other reason than wanting some interesting races worth watching later in the season lets see Ferrari show some form at Baku. Hopefully also let their drivers race so the fastest driver comes out on top.

RE: 2019 Azerbaijan GP - Jody Barton - 14-04-2019

I am praying that we get a Ferrari one, two and the supposed update RBR are bringing works and they look like challenging in the race. I also hope Renault bring engines to a race this year that can make the distance.

I am desperate for Ferrari to win in Baku, I'm sorry Morini, I know he's your man, but I can't take him and Mercedes winning again if there's no real challenge. The last two years Ferrari managed to mount a challenge of sorts. True they ultimately screwed it all up between Seb deciding he'd rather be a ballet dancer and spinning everywhere, and people forgetting to check spark plugs, but they at least pushed Mercedes. If we're back to 2014 to 2016 Merc dominance I'll probably switch off. I don't want to see him walk it again.

RE: 2019 Azerbaijan GP - morini - 14-04-2019

(14-04-2019, 10:42 PM)Jody Barton Wrote:  I'm sorry Morini, I know he's your man, but I can't take him and Mercedes winning again if there's no real challenge.

No, I can understand that and I'm cool with it. It's going to be a bloody boring season if it continues like the first 3 races. I want Ferrari and Red Bull to make a fight of it.

RE: 2019 Azerbaijan GP - NeilP - 14-04-2019

To me reading as much as I can about things its seems Ferrari have got the more powerful engine but for some reason cannot utilize all the power they have. I am at a loss to understand that with my limited knowledge. The only conclusion I can come to is either overheating or excessive fuel consumption. Our resident expert Jody has mentioned Aero issues and he is not alone in this thought from what I have read.

I think Mercedes with James Allison have done a magnificent job in making it a better all round car ironing out some of its previous deficiencies maybe at the compromise of not being as fast in a straight line.

Red Bull were pretty good here last year until they decided to take each other out (Max, you naughty boy) which to me is kind of ironic because they were using a Renault engine which is supposedly down on power, yet on a power circuit (is it?) They were right up there even beating a Ferrari in qualifying.

I think this is a huge race for Ferrari and I still say its one they must win. This will be the race Vettel must finish ahead of Leclerc on merit because if he does not I think he credibility as a number one driver will be highly questionable.

Baku is interesting the first race that was held as the "European" GP was boring as all hell with Rosberg just running away from everyone. The last two have been exciting. One has to feel sorry for Bottas last year that was as cruel as Leclerc's loss at Bahrain.

I am in full agreement with everyone else we need a different winner than Mercedes to sustain interest for many but the most dedicated followers.

But I am sorry I am still rooting for Hamilton.... Smile Smile Smile

RE: 2019 Azerbaijan GP - forzaferrari - 16-04-2019

RE: 2019 Azerbaijan GP - forzaferrari - 16-04-2019

Haas fears tyre weakness could be even worse in Baku:

Haas team boss Guenther Steiner admits their current tyre issues could be exaggerated in Azerbaijan.
Despite sitting as the fourth best team in qualifying at the opening two races and making Q3 in China, the American outfit has struggled for race pace at the past two Grands Prix.
As a result, only Kevin Magnussen's P6 in Melbourne and the unpredictable order in the midfield has kept Haas within four points of P4.

"We understood the problem after Bahrain but we couldn’t fix it in time for here [Shanghai], we still need to work on it," Steiner said.
"We didn’t have this in winter testing, as the track is completely different to these tracks like Bahrain, here and Baku.
"Baku is even worse - I’m readying myself for the disappointment. I hope we find something before Baku. At these race tracks, we can’t get energy into the tyre."

With the tyres very sensitive to just a few degrees of temperature change, finding and staying in the temperature window is the issue and, as Steiner explained...
"It’s high-speed tracks with long straights and low energy corners where we can’t get the heat into the tyres. That’s what it is,” the Haas boss said.
"In winter testing, even if it was cold in Barcelona, you load the tyres a lot, you have the energy to put in, you can keep the heat in it.
"In Australia, the temperature is higher and it was fine. But in Bahrain and here, it just doesn’t work."

RE: 2019 Azerbaijan GP - Jody Barton - 16-04-2019

That really sucks for Haas, but it's part of the sport, you need a car that can fire the tyres up correctly. It is a very difficult problem to solve. It took Mercedes nearly 5 seasons to get on top of their tyre issues.

RE: 2019 Azerbaijan GP - Jody Barton - 20-04-2019

So just been through the telemetry analysis Hesh posted in the Bahrain race thread... and I think if the prediction on what's inside the Merc gearbox is true I expect them to be very, very rapid through S2, and pretty quick through S1, where I expect Ferrari to have some difficulty. Plus, if they have gone long on gears 7 and 8 they won't be losing that much time on the long straight and S3 to Ferrari. I'm interested to see if that is the case now. Bring on Baku.

RE: 2019 Azerbaijan GP - forzaferrari - 23-04-2019

Ferrari has revealed that they are to bring their first upgrade this weekend in Azerbaijan for the development of the SF90 as they try and break the Mercedes 1-2 momentum. #fingerscrossed