Sport vs Politics

(11-02-2023, 01:04 PM)PapaofGags Wrote:  Six Just Stop Oil members convicted over last year's British Grand Prix protest were all told they face a possible prison sentence when they return to court on March 31 I all the defendants were granted bail after providing a verbal commitment not to become involved in further protests

Prison seems pretty harsh IMO.

We might not all agree with the methods used by protestors, but I reckon most reasonable people would agree that they do have a right to get their point of view across? I'm not siding with the greenies either (very far from it, in reality), but I will always rail against the establishment criminalising free speech. Unless we all want to give in to Putin and live under a dictatorship regime?
[+] 2 users Like morini's post

Former Brazilian president Jair Bolsonaro reportedly used former Formula 1 driver Nelson Piquet's farm to store a set of jewels given to him by the Saudi government.

Brazilian outlet Globo claims it confirmed reports by O Estado de S. Paulo that Bolsonaro stashed the jewels and other items in a shed on the farm after being voted out of office last year.

The jewels – one of multiple sets gifted on that trip – were given to the then-president of Brazil on a trip to Qatar and Saudi Arabia in 2019.

The implication reportedly being made is that Bolsonaro tried to 'be smart' and not declare the existence of the jewels, allowing him to keep them for himself without declaring the gift for legal and tax purposes.

Piquet and Bolsonaro

Three-time F1 world champion Piquet has been a vocal supporter of the right-wing politician, describing himself as 'Bolsonaro to death', and got in hot water last year after the president was defeated by Lula da Silva in a close election.

"We're going to get Lula, son of a *****, out of here," he said in a video posted online. The other man in the video added: "That's it! Brazil above everything, God above everything," before Piquet said: "And Lula there in a cemetery, son of a *****."

Last month, Piquet was ordered to pay around £780k by a Brazilian court for racist and homophobic comments about Lewis Hamilton, the judge declaring that the large fine was given "so that, as a society, we can some day be free from the pernicious acts that are racism and homophobia."

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 4 users Like PapaofGags's post

Imagine that a crooked Politician... whatever is our world coming to <ER>
[+] 4 users Like NeilP's post

Ben Sulayem been making friends & infuencing peeps for a while now with his ego. (imo) 

Saying he would bring Masi back was just daft.    Dodgy

F1 has threatened this before but looks like its back on the table, #Leverage.

https://www.crash.net/f1/news/1042575/1/...akaway-fia

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

[+] 3 users Like PapaofGags's post

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/motorspo...872&ei=606

Ben Sulayem hits back at critics: 'I know who is attacking me'

Anyone else think this guy's a tosser?    Dodgy

(07-01-2024, 01:34 AM)PapaofGags Wrote:  Anyone else think this guy's a tosser?   

Its a YES from me

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 2 users Like forzaferrari's post

(07-01-2024, 12:41 PM)forzaferrari Wrote:  

Its a YES from me

I vote yes but I also think it would be quicker to ask who doesn't think this guy is an arsehole.
[+] 3 users Like PaddyB's post

(07-01-2024, 12:44 PM)PaddyB Wrote:  
(07-01-2024, 12:41 PM)forzaferrari Wrote:  

Its a YES from me

I vote yes but I also think it would be quicker to ask who doesn't think this guy is an arsehole.

Good point, well presented   Laughing