Engine Comparisons

I think there are two, or even maybe three or four issues effecting the hybrid sound...

1) The turbo’s do kill the high pitched screams, no question, making the engine bark and spit, sounding rough as hell, but also muffling the sound as the aim is to keep the pressure up, not let the air (sound) out.

2) Way lower revs. The lower revs were stipulated by the FIA for some reason. I remember at the time the teams scratched their heads and went “erm... OK?”... I don’t think any understood the point, and neither do I. The FIA claimed it was to ensure fuel efficiency... but they set a fuel flow limit rate sooo... yeah, redundant ruling was redundant.

3) The MGU-H also doesn’t help as it just exacerbates the effect of the Turbo, but also sits on the top of the engine stifling any sounds it might produce. In general the engines are now much better insulated, because of the energy recovery systems, and although the aim isn’t to stifle the sound, it is a by-product of the amazing efficiency drives.

4) Complex exhaust systems, that double back, twist and restrict, and that contain rather large catalytic converters, otherwise known as big bloody sound dampeners!

5) They’re V6 engines. It’s really as simple as that for an awful lot of it.

OK, so when I got going it turns out there were probably 5 good reason. I however, being a tech nerd love these engines. They are quite frankly staggering feats of engineering that both baffle and amaze me. They produce more BHP than almost any F1 engines from any era, and do so using way less fuel than before, and at efficiency rates many thought we’d never see from ICE’s only 5 or 6 years ago. I remember people scoffing when F1 said they’d have engines hitting 30% efficiency, then Mercedes rocked up day 1 hitting 38%. These engines, if allowed to develop, and given a bit more freedom on battery size / usage could be blisteringly fast if teams were allowed an engine a race, like the good old days. Actually, just give the teams 5 engines and let them turn the wick up and we’d see some fireworks. I thought I missed the sound, but you know what? I don’t, I’m too busy being amazed by the brutal acceleration they produce.
[+] 3 users Like Jody Barton's post

Technological marvels for sure, but they do sound like crap. And unfortunately, aural stimulation is a big part of the experience for most F1 fans. Agree with everything you say about the technological achievements and it is stunning how much power and torque they can get out of a 1.6 litre V6, but there is still something missing for me.
[+] 2 users Like morini's post

For me it's the RS25E Renault engine. 19.000 rpm red line V10, in excess of 900 Bhp.
Apart from that: any Ferrari V12 F1 engine.

Yes, I'm old school :-) I have an engineering background, and the V6 Hybrids are marvels of technology, but they just don't get me excited in any other way then just that.
[+] 2 users Like ReneSpeksnijder's post

(20-11-2017, 03:36 PM)ReneSpeksnijder Wrote:  For me it's the RS25E Renault engine. 19.000 rpm red line V10, in excess of 900 Bhp.

Yes, I'm old school :-) I have an engineering background, and the V6 Hybrids are marvels of technology, but they just don't get me excited in any other way then just that.

Hard to beat the scream of the v10 or v12....makes the hairs stand on end. (welcome to the forum by the way)

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 1 user Likes forzaferrari's post

(20-11-2017, 04:25 PM)forzaferrari Wrote:  
(20-11-2017, 03:36 PM)ReneSpeksnijder Wrote:  For me it's the RS25E Renault engine. 19.000 rpm red line V10, in excess of 900 Bhp.

Hard to beat the scream of the v10 or v12....makes the hairs stand on end. (welcome to the forum by the way)

Thank you! Absolutely, I will never forget the first time I heard/saw the Ferrari 412, oh boy.

That was Berger/Alesi in 95 right?

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli

Yes that is correct, even better: was at Monza, they both did not finish though. My favourite team won however.

I had to look that one up, DC in a Williams-RenaultWink

(18-11-2017, 02:35 PM)Chloe17b Wrote:  I've just heard the 2-seater V10's and the v8's and hybrids, to remember. The hybrids are loud enough but not musical somehow.  The v8's you could hear from miles away then at the circuit you had to wear earplugs so what was the point?

The hybrids are amazing as they whoosh past with a mix of all kinds of noise and generally i love them for being so clever.  They're the best afaic.  I think Liberty have improve the sound on TV recently, anyone else found this?

A lot of the wanting noise is like fireworks imo, like a boysie power thing that is just some ancient instinct about power generally, like hunting and guns and things like that.

I'd like it if they could just make the hybrids be more tuneful instead of that flat bark kind of sound.  i have no idea how they could do that, i suppose the blades in the turbine kill the pulses from the cylinders.  Could they have some kind of resonator in the exhaust after the turbine?  Bit fake...
Earplugs???? No way :-) Never had earplugs. It could be that I'm pretty deaf after playing in different bands for 20 years though.

(20-11-2017, 06:33 PM)forzaferrari Wrote:  I had to look that one up, DC in a Williams-RenaultWink

If I remember correctly it was Herbert in a Benneton-Renault: the Enstone guys :-) DC had pole position (had to Google that one to be honest)
[+] 1 user Likes ReneSpeksnijder's post

(21-11-2017, 03:55 PM)ReneSpeksnijder Wrote:  
(18-11-2017, 02:35 PM)Chloe17b Wrote:  I've just heard the 2-seater V10's and the v8's and hybrids, to remember. The hybrids are loud enough but not musical somehow.  The v8's you could hear from miles away then at the circuit you had to wear earplugs so what was the point?

The hybrids are amazing as they whoosh past with a mix of all kinds of noise and generally i love them for being so clever.  They're the best afaic.  I think Liberty have improve the sound on TV recently, anyone else found this?

A lot of the wanting noise is like fireworks imo, like a boysie power thing that is just some ancient instinct about power generally, like hunting and guns and things like that.

I'd like it if they could just make the hybrids be more tuneful instead of that flat bark kind of sound.  i have no idea how they could do that, i suppose the blades in the turbine kill the pulses from the cylinders.  Could they have some kind of resonator in the exhaust after the turbine?  Bit fake...
Earplugs???? No way :-) Never had earplugs. It could be that I'm pretty deaf after playing in different bands for 20 years though.

(20-11-2017, 06:33 PM)forzaferrari Wrote:  I had to look that one up, DC in a Williams-RenaultWink

If I remember correctly it was Herbert in a Benneton-Renault: the Enstone guys :-) DC had pole position (had to Google that one to be honest)

oops, sorry you are correct