Engine Comparisons

New Hybrid to old or historical - can't compare myself, but would love to know from more well informed, torque - revs - turbos, etc, or what do any believe to be the best F1 engine ever - I get that that's a bit vague, but any info would be appreciated Smile

"I Say, I say . . . . The satisfaction you have in a few minutes when you become champion. It's enough to live forever 

Gordan Murray's fan car .....it was untouchable in design, though process. achievement and outright speed...so dangerous even he acknowledged it had to go....innovation beyond comprehension.
[+] 1 user Likes pennywise's post

(15-11-2017, 08:30 PM)IanF69 Wrote:  Gordan Murray's fan car design.....it was untouchable in design, though process. achievement and outright speed...so dangerous even he acknowledged  it had to go....innovation beyond comprehension.

howdy Ian, yeah, but my technical request was about engines, was the fan an integral part of that, or was that more car design, i.e.like aero?

also I saw you went with `Newey on dream team - care to change to Murray now - haha Smile

"I Say, I say . . . . The satisfaction you have in a few minutes when you become champion. It's enough to live forever 

I've only followed F1 in this turbo v6 hybrid era. I'm partial to the efficiency and performance. Near 50% fuel efficiency and over 1000 hp with incredible torque and acceleration. I don't know the specifics of the data but the current PUs really do push those big heavy cars around the tracks quickly.

Since the public's biggest complaint is the type of sound the current PU produces, using that criteria alone I really like the sound of those mid to late '60s V8s. The whine of the V10s are iconic but to my ear not really appealing.
[+] 1 user Likes UncleElias's post

(15-11-2017, 11:26 PM)UncleElias Wrote:  I've only followed F1 in this turbo v6 hybrid era. I'm partial to the efficiency and performance. Near 50% fuel efficiency and over 1000 hp with incredible torque and acceleration. I don't know the specifics of the data but the current PUs really do push those big heavy cars around the tracks quickly.

Since the public's biggest complaint is the type of sound the current PU produces, using that criteria alone I really like the sound of those mid to late '60s V8s. The whine of the V10s are iconic but to my ear not really appealing.

Hi Uncle, yeah - think the main problem on sound, isn't the Tv viewer, it when you hear it live, I only made one F1 race, which was prior to to the hybrid era - it was Lewis' famous win in the rain - but the sound - live was astonishing, had to check there, but I think it was V8, 2.4 litre - incredible sound live, I had no problem with the engine switch, as I think F1 always needs to be at the forefront, but we now have a real crossroads, to get through, because of electric and FE,

so do we think it should go back to nominally aspirated - or continue down the Hybrid route?

As a wee young one I got to hear V12's... and I think my ears are still ringing!!! I was standing near Copse, old Silverstone and you could feel them in your chest and they rattled your bones something awful. Terrifying. I think it was the wail and scream of them. People complained about the sound of the V10's, but honestly I don't think they sounded that different to the V12's (and yes I heard them), I happen to think the Ferrari V10 is probably the best sounding F1 engine ever produced, it just sang. The real sound changes came with the V8's and they sounded more guttural, they still screamed at high revs, but just not the same high pitched wail of the V10's and V12's, and they didn't quite hit you in the chest either, although they were still loud, just a very different note... these turbo hybrids? Erm... they don't sound good, and the Turbo's just don't allow for the exhaust note, and no, I don't think higher revving engines will help either, sorry Ross Brawn, I smell that BS you're peddling.

In terms of torque though there isn't really any comparison... the current hybrid PU's smoke everything else. They're phenomenal pieces of technology and the acceleration they achieve, and the traction too is amazing. The cars are heavier now than ever before, yet they are pushing them round at speeds in excess now of anything we've seen before, is part of that aero? Yeah sure, certainly cornering speeds it is, but I bet that if teams were allowed qualifying engines, and new race engines every track like they were in the past, rather than having to carry them over like they do now, we'd be seeing much, much faster races and speeds, ditto if they brought back refueling.

Sure, the V12's and and V10's revved like there was no tomorrow, and I love them, but they weren't efficient PU's and I'm not convinced that if you dumped them in the back of the current cars they'd match the speeds currently being achieved. When the Turbo Hybrids were announced I shuddered, and initially I thought I was right to be concerned... however, I really think they're hitting their stride now. Give teams 5 units per season, or more, let the manufacturers play with deployment of energy and have bigger battery stores, give the drivers more control over deployment and lets see how fast they can go. I really think by 2020 we'll be seeing something truly spectacular from these current engine regs, we might already be there if it wasn't for the bloody stupid engine token system.
[+] 3 users Like Jody Barton's post

Only just spotted this thread. For me, the V10's were the best sounding engine era. I wouldn't call it a whine, more of a glorious scream.

I've just heard the 2-seater V10's and the v8's and hybrids, to remember. The hybrids are loud enough but not musical somehow. The v8's you could hear from miles away then at the circuit you had to wear earplugs so what was the point?

The hybrids are amazing as they whoosh past with a mix of all kinds of noise and generally i love them for being so clever. They're the best afaic. I think Liberty have improve the sound on TV recently, anyone else found this?

A lot of the wanting noise is like fireworks imo, like a boysie power thing that is just some ancient instinct about power generally, like hunting and guns and things like that.

I'd like it if they could just make the hybrids be more tuneful instead of that flat bark kind of sound. i have no idea how they could do that, i suppose the blades in the turbine kill the pulses from the cylinders. Could they have some kind of resonator in the exhaust after the turbine? Bit fake...

(18-11-2017, 02:35 PM)Chloe17b Wrote:  The hybrids are amazing as they whoosh past with a mix of all kinds of noise and generally i love them for being so clever. They're the best afaic. I think Liberty have improve the sound on TV recently, anyone else found this?

I've only heard the hybrids live once in Austin 2015. My overriding memory was how awful the Hondas sounded. They sound rough on TV, but in the flesh they really do (did) sound like a bag of spanners. Awful sounding.

(18-11-2017, 02:35 PM)Chloe17b Wrote:  I've just heard the 2-seater V10's and the v8's and hybrids, to remember. The hybrids are loud enough but not musical somehow.  The v8's you could hear from miles away then at the circuit you had to wear earplugs so what was the point?

The hybrids are amazing as they whoosh past with a mix of all kinds of noise and generally i love them for being so clever.  They're the best afaic.  I think Liberty have improve the sound on TV recently, anyone else found this?

A lot of the wanting noise is like fireworks imo, like a boysie power thing that is just some ancient instinct about power generally, like hunting and guns and things like that.

I'd like it if they could just make the hybrids be more tuneful instead of that flat bark kind of sound.  i have no idea how they could do that, i suppose the blades in the turbine kill the pulses from the cylinders.  Could they have some kind of resonator in the exhaust after the turbine?  Bit fake...

haha - you'll have to excuse us from time to time Chloe, we are but men, (and one rooster in my case) - and I Guess there could well be something to that, instinctive thing,  I didn't bother with the earplugs so got the full effect, though as a DJ for 20 years, I'm probably a bit deaf anyway, perhaps why I didn't feel the need, - I don't like guns though, gets my feathers all ruffled them things Smile