Is there something wrong with Max?

(26-05-2018, 06:13 PM)Jody Barton Wrote:  I'm asking the question because so far this season he's been far too error prone, and although there were mitigating circumstances in his FP3 crash today, he's not entirely blameless, and as Hill has said in FP3 if you're unsighted why not just abort the lap and play it safe? I have to say on reflection I agree with Hill. So here are his blunders so far this season:

Australia: Spinning in every FP session, running wide in Q1 and Q2, and being lucky not to pick up a grid penalty for a fairly blatant block on Grosjean (well blatant according to Grosjean, it was, but I just don't like the French twit). Then screwing up his race start and then spinning in Turn one later in the race.

Bahrain: Chopping Lewis unnecessarily and puncturing his rear tyre and having to retire from the race, I still lay all of the blame for that at his feet.

China: Again, spins and mistakes in FP, and just driving a little too erratically, attempting moves in places that were never going to work and ultimately crashing into Vettel in arguably the most brain dead display of his career.

Baku: Where to begin. Multiple dangerous double moves on his team mate, not only wrecking his race but Danny's as well, culminating in a very late double move in the braking zone that caused the crash between them. Should Danny have seen it coming? Yes, because Verstappen is not beyond cheating in defending a position... but... Max shouldn't have done it.

Barcelona: Had a clean race then drove into Stroll... I actually blame Stroll for this one, but again, he found himself in the wars.

Monaco: Well, we all saw it, almost a carbon copy of his 2016 Monaco crash. I still think Sainz unsighted him, but as Hill said, given it's FP3 and it doesn't matter why not just abort the lap and pit, and live to race another day?

I personally believe he is simply not learning the craft he needs to take him from being a really good and exciting racer to being a genuine World Championship driver. The hype around him was huge and still is and I am sure that pressure has some baggage that comes with it. 

Some of his moves are breathtaking but an equal amount are ill advised and borderline unfair.  His defensive driving is highly questionable and I feel he has got the benefit of a lot of decisions in the past which may not actually have been in his interest because he has not really learned a lesson because he faced no consequences.

I do not think there is any question about his potential it is immense, but again I repeat he does not seem to be learning on the job. Six races this year he has had major issues in all 6, that tells you a lot.

Lets hope for his sake and indeed the F1 of the future he can get himself back on track because at his best he is an astounding talent.

As a side note Leclerc may not get the same hype as Max but he looks to be another really, really promising talent and I feel in the right car he and Max could be really close in the not too distant future
[+] 1 user Likes NeilP's post

(26-05-2018, 09:01 PM)Jody Barton Wrote:  I still think the bumper deal / contract might actually be part of his problem this year. It's a lot to put on such a young driver, I think it's caused him to crack under the weight.

I believe this could be a big part of it.

First, we often seem to forget the kid is only 20 years old. Twenty years and just 4 years in Formula cars (this I don't know for sure, but it has not been long). He already is competing with the very best and among them multiple world champions with loads of years experience. 

To expect him to achieve the same and even more, is not realistic. Comparing him with Senna and Schumacher. He gets a good contract with high expectations of winning a WC with the team, being the best. But is the kid matured enough for that? Is the car capable to deliver? 
Still, this is what is happening and the kid tries to meet the expectations, but he just is not ready for it. I believe he has it in him, to be the very best. But not yet, he needs some years of experience, to learn. Like some one hear said (sorry, to lazy to check) it is a marginale sport and when he is going on the edge, that small margin that he needs to learn, is there to take him out of the race.

He needs to calm down and accept he will not win every race, every fight, not even every contest with his teammate (wich I think is also one of the best on the field). He needs to understand ánd accept that his time will come. 
But it is hard when you are a 20 year old kid. I know how silly I was at that age, how much I had to learn.

Let's hope Verstappen figures it out and will become that great and exiting driver that clearly is hiding inside that hothead of a kid.

PS. He has been my captain of the dreamteam and since I'm to lazy to adjust a single thing about it, he if pissing me of quite a bit. Just for my laziness he needs to learn it fast!

(26-05-2018, 09:01 PM)Jody Barton Wrote:  I still think the bumper deal / contract might actually be part of his problem this year. It's a lot to put on such a young driver, I think it's caused him to crack under the weight.

I believe this could be a big part of it.

First, we often seem to forget the kid is only 20 years old. Twenty years and just 4 years in Formula cars (this I don't know for sure, but it has not been long). He already is competing with the very best and among them multiple world champions with loads of years experience. 

To expect him to achieve the same and even more, is not realistic. Comparing him with Senna and Schumacher. He gets a good contract with high expectations of winning a WC with the team, being the best. But is the kid matured enough for that? Is the car capable to deliver? 
Still, this is what is happening and the kid tries to meet the expectations, but he just is not ready for it. I believe he has it in him, to be the very best. But not yet, he needs some years of experience, to learn. Like some one hear said (sorry, to lazy to check) it is a marginale sport and when he is going on the edge, that small margin that he needs to learn, is there to take him out of the race.

He needs to calm down and accept he will not win every race, every fight, not even every contest with his teammate (wich I think is also one of the best on the field). He needs to understand ánd accept that his time will come. 
But it is hard when you are a 20 year old kid. I know how silly I was at that age, how much I had to learn.

Let's hope Verstappen figures it out and will become that great and exiting driver that clearly is hiding inside that hothead of a kid.
[+] 2 users Like Antilochos's post

There could be something wrong when the demotion to Toro Rosso and swap with Pierre Gasly rumours start to build : P

My previous sig was obsolete, McLaren ain't disappointing Heshy no more.
[+] 2 users Like Monster Hesh's post

http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/1...f-approach

Canandian GP: Max Verstappen unhappy with media questions.

Unhappy with a line of inquiry about his incident-prone season in Thursday's Drivers' Press Conference for this weekend's Canadian GP, Verstappen responded: "I get really tired of all the questions. If I get any more I might headbutt someone."

The Red Bull driver was apparently joking when he made the remark.

But Verstappen told reporters on his arrival in Canada: "I get really tired of all the comments that I should change my approach. I will never do that because it has brought me to where I am right now."
Verstappen later clarified: "I know very well what can be done better and you try to put that in place for the next grand prix."
When pressed again to explain his 2018 form, Verstappen answered: "It's not as dramatic as people say it is. I haven't scored the points l should have scored but it's not only my fault. It could have been better but everyone makes it so dramatic."

The bit that stands out to me, "but it's not only my fault" Formula 1 drivers, a breed apart, bites lip.

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 4 users Like PapaofGags's post

(07-06-2018, 04:40 PM)PapaofGags Wrote:  http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/1...f-approach

Unhappy with a line of inquiry about his incident-prone season in Thursday's Drivers' Press Conference for this weekend's Canadian GP, Verstappen responded: "I get really tired of all the questions. If I get any more I might headbutt someone."

But Verstappen told reporters on his arrival in Canada: "I get really tired of all the comments that I should change my approach. I will never do that because it has brought me to where I am right now."
Verstappen later clarified: "I know very well what can be done better and you try to put that in place for the next grand prix."
When pressed again to explain his 2018 form, Verstappen answered: "It's not as dramatic as people say it is. I haven't scored the points l should have scored but it's not only my fault. It could have been better but everyone makes it so dramatic."

The bit that stands out to me, "but it's not only my fault" Formula 1 drivers, a breed apart, bites lip.
This is where his lack of experience is showing up and its hard not to feel some sympathy with his situation. As a driver he is maturing but has a way to go. As a human being he really is still very, very young. He really needs someone at Red Bull to step up here and defend him and help him deal with the press.

I think he is going to be right up there this weekend just as long as he does not push too hard and that to me that is his biggest fault.  Sometimes you need to let the race play out or come to you as they say.  He is constantly pushing and sometimes it backfires on you especially in a sport with such fine margins of success or failure.
[+] 3 users Like NeilP's post

Turned into a bullying situation. Everyone and everything picking on Max, highlighting every mistakes in extreme detail. What it might have gone an done is completely ruined him. He'll retreat, recluse, become afraid to do anything, one of the sports future greats lost.

My previous sig was obsolete, McLaren ain't disappointing Heshy no more.

(07-06-2018, 07:24 PM)Monster Hesh Wrote:  Turned into a bullying situation. Everyone and everything picking on Max, highlighting every mistakes in extreme detail. What it might have gone an done is completely ruined him. He'll retreat, recluse, become afraid to do anything, one of the sports future greats lost.

Hi Hesh, whilst I can see what your saying I think Max has way to much FU in him to be bullied, cant see him become a "recluse, afraid to do anything," I think he'll carry on the same, at least I hope he does, minus the mistakes, "if" he can admit he has made some of course.  

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 4 users Like PapaofGags's post

(07-06-2018, 05:25 PM)NeilP Wrote:  
(07-06-2018, 04:40 PM)PapaofGags Wrote:  http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/1...f-approach

This is where his lack of experience is showing up and its hard not to feel some sympathy with his situation. As a driver he is maturing but has a way to go. As a human being he really is still very, very young. He really needs someone at Red Bull to step up here and defend him and help him deal with the press.

I think he is going to be right up there this weekend just as long as he does not push too hard and that to me that is his biggest fault.  Sometimes you need to let the race play out or come to you as they say.  He is constantly pushing and sometimes it backfires on you especially in a sport with such fine margins of success or failure.

You are right if you ask me. With the media help he needs, as well as with his pushing character while driving.
But, that style of driving (pushing, aggressive, on the limit and sometimes over the edge) is what makes him that exciting driver, that fresh breath of air in the sport. 
I wish all the potential of a great driver comes out of him, but without losing that exciting style. Big question to me is; is that combination possible?
[+] 3 users Like Antilochos's post

After Max threatened to headbutt the next interviewer/presenter who brought up needing to change his style I am now praying Crofty asks him, please please please Crofty go ask him....oh and make sure you are on camera....dont want to miss it Wink

(I know it was said in jest, but I`m up for seeing Crofty getting lamped)

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 1 user Likes forzaferrari's post

The thing is, if Max doesn't want to keep answering these questions, he needs to stop driving into people or other cars. It really is as simply as that. He only has himself to blame, and it doesn't matter his age, he's driving for one of the big three teams and reputedly is the highest paid driver on the grid, topping two 4 time WDCs, so if he screws up he should expect the press to ask these questions. Honestly, he needs to grow up, and whether said in jest or not, his comments show how immature he is. I think clearly it's all got to him as I thought it had. I hope he can keep his head and mature a bit this season, because I have the feeling if this continues much longer Red Bull will lose faith.