Is there something wrong with Max?

I'm asking the question because so far this season he's been far too error prone, and although there were mitigating circumstances in his FP3 crash today, he's not entirely blameless, and as Hill has said in FP3 if you're unsighted why not just abort the lap and play it safe? I have to say on reflection I agree with Hill. So here are his blunders so far this season:

Australia: Spinning in every FP session, running wide in Q1 and Q2, and being lucky not to pick up a grid penalty for a fairly blatant block on Grosjean (well blatant according to Grosjean, it was, but I just don't like the French twit). Then screwing up his race start and then spinning in Turn one later in the race.

Bahrain: Chopping Lewis unnecessarily and puncturing his rear tyre and having to retire from the race, I still lay all of the blame for that at his feet.

China: Again, spins and mistakes in FP, and just driving a little too erratically, attempting moves in places that were never going to work and ultimately crashing into Vettel in arguably the most brain dead display of his career.

Baku: Where to begin. Multiple dangerous double moves on his team mate, not only wrecking his race but Danny's as well, culminating in a very late double move in the braking zone that caused the crash between them. Should Danny have seen it coming? Yes, because Verstappen is not beyond cheating in defending a position... but... Max shouldn't have done it.

Barcelona: Had a clean race then drove into Stroll... I actually blame Stroll for this one, but again, he found himself in the wars.

Monaco: Well, we all saw it, almost a carbon copy of his 2016 Monaco crash. I still think Sainz unsighted him, but as Hill said, given it's FP3 and it doesn't matter why not just abort the lap and pit, and live to race another day?
[+] 3 users Like Jody Barton's post

He's having a difficult season, but F1 is all about fine margins. But for 6 inches today he would have been in with a chance of pole. Front row a the very least. He's definitely got what it takes, but the competition is highly accomplished in the current era. I'd still back him to be WDC at some point.
[+] 1 user Likes morini's post

I had hoped the clean(ish) race in Barca had broken the cycle of bad fortune and/or recklessness but here we are again talking about another instance. I dont believe there is anything wrong with Max as such, more it is his nature to over drive and prove he has what it takes and live up to expectations. I still think he will come good and be consistently up at the sharp end without all the drama he currently seems to find.

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 2 users Like forzaferrari's post

(26-05-2018, 06:25 PM)forzaferrari Wrote:  I still think he will come good and be consistently up at the sharp end without all the drama he currently seems to find.

He's still a liability in the Dream Team though!!
[+] 2 users Like morini's post

As you all know, I've long held the belief that Max is a bit little league in his defensive driving, and I still believe he needs to clean that up, he is undoubtedly a very rapid driver. He is however error prone. I'm not forgetting he's 20 going on 21, but this is his fourth full season in F1, and some of the mistakes he still makes should have been gone from his performances by now. I have a feeling though the bumper deal Red Bull gave him has placed far too much responsibility on his young shoulders. Essentially he's the teams defacto number 1 driver, and supposedly now the second highest paid driver on the grid. Perhaps he feels he needs to start justifying that price tag and is pushing a bit too much? Either way, his head doesn't seem right this season.
[+] 2 users Like Jody Barton's post

Thing is I feel he's trying to live up to the "wonder kid" handle, its obvious he is trying to hard in general & making rash decisions in wheel to wheel racing/battle, playing rugby years ago there was a saying "heart in the fire, brain in the fridge" he just needs to think more clearly under pressure, the greatest drivers I have seen could do multiple things (think! discuss strategy, alter controls etc) at 10/10ths I wonder if Max struggles with this, so much natural talent though, I am convinced Max will be a W.D.C. but it will take longer if he doesn't start to learn from his mistakes.

Hoping he doesn't hit anyone driving through the field Sunday because the negativity around him will just grow adding even more pressure....

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 2 users Like PapaofGags's post

Papa I fear what will happen to him in the race if he can't make headway. Looking at it he has to start on the Super Softs and take the hit early doors and try to go longer than everyone else and I'm not sure he has the temperament for that sort of drive, the Schumi drive if you will from years ago where he went from last to 5th by just being calm and not over driving and staying out longer. I can see Max trying to shove one up the inside of somebody and coming a right cropper. I have fears over him and Magnussen, irresistible force meets immovable Dane. However, looking at Max's record of crashes and incidents over his time in the Red Bull seat doesn't make for pleasant reading, he's actually been way more error prone than Kvyat, and we do need to acknowledge that. I do fear that if he can't sort this out and fast he's likely to find people asking some serious questions of him and his temperament. Right now he's not looking like a potential WDC, I think the likes of Leclerc and Ocon look more likely, although they're not quite driving in the same sort of pressure cooker environment. Has the move to Red Bull, and the bumper contract potentially destroyed Max? I don't think it has, and as others have said he still is likely to pick up a few WDCs, but the longer this goes on, the more likely others will rise up and over take him.
[+] 2 users Like Jody Barton's post

(26-05-2018, 07:00 PM)Jody Barton Wrote:  As you all know, I've long held the belief that Max is a bit little league in his defensive driving, and I still believe he needs to clean that up, he is undoubtedly a very rapid driver. He is however error prone. I'm not forgetting he's 20 going on 21, but this is his fourth full season in F1, and some of the mistakes he still makes should have been gone from his performances by now. I have a feeling though the bumper deal Red Bull gave him has placed far too much responsibility on his young shoulders. Essentially he's the teams defacto number 1 driver, and supposedly now the second highest paid driver on the grid. Perhaps he feels he needs to start justifying that price tag and is pushing a bit too much? Either way, his head doesn't seem right this season.

There only one thought which comes to my mind when I watch drivers like Max. Raw speed is an inbuilt, natural talent / gift (call it what you will) and you can't teach it. A driver either has that or he doesn't (and I'm talking about the ability to outperform the car here). Race craft comes with experience and drivers can develop that as they mature with experience. 

All the very, very fast drivers have made mistakes. Hamilton was the fastest thing F1 had ever seen when he arrived in 2007, he wasn't exactly consistent though, not for a long while. Sky show a lot of old races to fill in time on the F1 channel and you watch some of Sennas races, he wasn't fault free either. Give me a naturally fast driver every time, they will learn the rest of the skill set as they go.

The boy is naturally fast.
[+] 3 users Like morini's post

There only one thought which comes to my mind when I watch drivers like Max. Raw speed is an inbuilt, natural talent / gift (call it what you will) and you can't teach it. A driver either has that or he doesn't (and I'm talking about the ability to outperform the car here). Race craft comes with experience and drivers can develop that as they mature with experience. 

All the very, very fast drivers have made mistakes. Hamilton was the fastest thing F1 had ever seen when he arrived in 2007, he wasn't exactly consistent though, not for a long while. Sky show a lot of old races to fill in time on the F1 channel and you watch some of Sennas races, he wasn't fault free either. Give me a naturally fast driver every time, they will learn the rest of the skill set as they go.

The boy is naturally fast.
[/quote]

I agree Morini, I remember Mick Doohan saying "you can teach a fast kid not to fall off, you cant teach a kid who does't fall off to be fast"

The lad has awsome speed, as we have all said he needs to learn from his mistakes.

Edit, fecking quotes lol.....

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 3 users Like PapaofGags's post

(26-05-2018, 08:19 PM)PapaofGags Wrote:  Edit, fecking quotes lol.....

I would try to teach you how to do it Paps, but it'd be like teaching a brick how to swim.

Smile
[+] 1 user Likes morini's post