we need Jody for this

(14-11-2017, 01:18 PM)Jody Barton Wrote:  
(14-11-2017, 12:54 PM)Purple-banana Wrote:  Has the one helmet design change per season rule been quietly abandoned?  Lewis ran three significantly different ones in Austin alone. I noticed Seb's now has a subtle silver/grey chequered flag pattern too - although that could just be down to camera angle/lighting

I haven't got a problem with drivers changing their helmets by the way, just seems odd for all the flack they took when they announced the rule, and now it doesn't seem to be being enforced

I think the rule is still there, but I think the FIA were asked to relax it by Liberty Media. Seb has had 5 or 6 designs so far this season, Max a similar number, as has Lewis. I think Lewis’ 3 helmets from CotA were auctioned. I think it was a silly rule, and it has been made all the sillier by Liberty Media’s requirement that teams display drivers names and numbers more prominently.

I didn't read the rules so take my comment with a helping of salt.

From what I've gleaned from the TV people, I think the rule applies to a major design change and to race worn helmets. That gives the drivers a wider range of helmet 'looks' that they can use.
[+] 1 user Likes UncleElias's post

@UncleElias, the rules were firstly very badly written, they said the drivers helmets couldn't undergo substantial changes... what's substantial? They also allowed for a number of special helmets throughout the year for special occasions... what's a special occasion? Truth is after one season where drivers abided by the spirit of the rules, they went straight back to pushing them, Vettel constantly changing the pattern on the white section, Lewis altering the secondary colours etc. etc. etc.

In short it was silly, and honestly didn't help viewers identify the cars any better any way. LM were right about driver number size and placement, and names on the cars.