2018 Hungarian GP

(31-07-2018, 10:54 PM)Jody Barton Wrote:  @F1 Fan, no one is claiming Seb was to blame, but we are saying he should have taken a wider line, the move wasn't quite done, but it was obviously going to be done. I rate Seb as a quick driver, always have, and I'm sure Morini will back me up on that one. However, I do sometimes question his judgement. Should he have had a go at passing Bottas? Hell yes!!! But I stand by my comment that an Alonso, Hamilton or a Ricciardo wouldn't have chopped Bottas off like that and taken the wider line through turn 2 and opened up turn 3 and given Bottas the much safer and firmer shoulder, which compromises the run up to turn 4 for your opponent. How do I know this? Because there's video evidence of them doing it. I really, really want Seb to cut out his errors, because on his day he can be great, unbeatable even. But throughout his career, even though he's matured, he is still prone to silly moves and poor judgement.

I dont want to be controversial so early on, but in my book that was a brilliant overtake, Bottas's race was over, he had nothing to gain going that hot into turn 2, regardless of whether he had room or not he wouldn't have made turn 2 at the speed and angle he was coming in. The move was done and he should have backed off.  It was Sebs apex, had he taken a wider line it would have compromised turn 3 and most likely been broadsided by Bottas, as Dan found out.

Still, regardless of the various opinions on this one, I for one want to see more of it and I hope we get Lewis and Seb at it later in the season.
[+] 3 users Like F1 Fan's post

I want to see more overtaking, but the Seb "chop"? For his own sake I hope he drops it, it's usually unnecessary and carries far too much risk. Every top driver in history has an Achilles heel. I would argue, and it might be controversial, that the true greats learned to grow out of there's eventually... and for me only Prost and Schumacher fall into That category. They polished their rough edges away to become complete drivers. I think both Seb and Lewis are in that process right now, and I'd like to see the Seb "chop" gone from his locker. Lewis is further along his polishing act because he had the McLaren wilderness years whereby if he wanted to be competitive he had to lose his rough edges. Was very sad to hear the reason Lewis was losing so much time in Austria and struggling was because his fuel pump had started to fail, and wasn't regulating fuel flow correctly. The race between him and Seb was shaping up nicely before that

@F1 Fan what I've been saying all along on this particular topic is Vettel did not handle that scenario like a driver who is contesting a WDC. Hamilton would have approached it very differently, I am 100 percent sure of it. Nobody said don't do the overtake, by all means do it (but get it done without risking your own race). Vettel could have been cleverer, he wasn't. It seems only Jody can see this viewpoint.

It could be his undoing if he carries on like that. Personally, I hope he does!
[+] 3 users Like morini's post

(01-08-2018, 11:11 AM)morini Wrote:  @F1 Fan It seems only Jody can see this viewpoint.

Ahem.... I Also stated going for a WDC this was a risk Sebastian didn't need to take.

"Same as I saw it first time I thought Sebastian turned in too early, then second time we watched there was a tell tale puff of tyre smoke, pity they didn't give us Bottas's on board as that was obviously the best shot, I like to think that the stewards would have had it, thought racing incident was the right decision, as you have said I was also surprised (racing for a championship) that Sebastian took such a risk had he opened up the corner a little bit I still feel he would have got the job done with less risk, still he got away with it this time, for him & Ferrari that's all that mattered."

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 3 users Like PapaofGags's post

Yes paps, I should have included you and Neil too. I think we've done this one to death now though.

Well done on the quoting!
[+] 2 users Like morini's post

(01-08-2018, 11:11 AM)morini Wrote:  @F1 Fan what I've been saying all along on this particular topic is Vettel did not handle that scenario like a driver who is contesting a WDC. Hamilton would have approached it very differently, I am 100 percent sure of it. Nobody said don't do the overtake, by all means do it (but get it done without risking your own race). Vettel could have been cleverer, he wasn't. It seems only Jody can see this viewpoint.

It could be his undoing if he carries on like that. Personally, I hope he does!

They are racers its in their blood, All greats have done some risky/audacious moves its in their DNA imo
[+] 2 users Like LotusLover's post

LotusLover, of course all great drivers have done risky moves, but the point about Sebs chop across Bottas was that he didn't need to be that risky. If he'd left some space and tightened towards the apex at corner 2, like most drivers do at turn 2, there would be no risk. But he HAD to do the petty Vettel "chop" to show his vanquished for who was boss.

But he did it and it paid off whats the problem? lol honestly they cannot win, I've said it before many greats have done some cheeky moves it is all part of racing personally I don't see a problem with what he did just my opinion but it was move that gained him vital points, ifs and buts really now
[+] 1 user Likes LotusLover's post

LotusLover, the point is the needless chop, wasn't needed. He'd have got the move done taking a wider line and leaving space. No one is saying don't make the move, that'd be bloody daft. But chopping across like he does always invites unnecessary risk. It also seems petulant. Not going to convince me otherwise. Lewis used to give the shoulder squeeze a la Schumacher and Prost, but like both of them he's learned to tone it down because of the risk, and only really squeezes opponents when it is 100% necessary. Just think Seb needs to learn that sometimes it's better to get a move done cleanly, than risk being taken out.
[+] 1 user Likes Jody Barton's post

(01-08-2018, 06:53 PM)Jody Barton Wrote:  Lewis used to give the shoulder squeeze a la Schumacher and Prost, but like both of them he's learned to tone it down because of the risk, and only really squeezes opponents when it is 100% necessary. Just think Seb needs to learn that sometimes it's better to get a move done cleanly, than risk being taken out.

I pretty much agree completely Jody, certainly on Seb, though, when it comes to drivers like Lewis, Senna, Prost, (and yes Morini) Alonso. I think some of their, "chopping" passes, in the past have been more about the psychological warfare, to get the upper hand, on a team mate or other diver, in the mental game. I thought an interesting comment, from Hungary, from one of the commentators, was, about Danny Ric:

Paraphrasing but: now that he has developed a reputation, for his late breaking, look at how much room, other drivers give him, when they know, it's the Honey badger, coming up for a pass. But then again, he is more times than not extremely, "clean" with his passes. Point being, how much is it down to the psychology of each driver.

Seb, certainly didn't need to turn in, he had no point to prove in that scenario Smile

"I Say, I say . . . . The satisfaction you have in a few minutes when you become champion. It's enough to live forever 
[+] 1 user Likes Foghorn Leghorn's post