Max Verstappen ~ Best Driver in F1

Okay I would perhaps not expect Christian Horner to say anything else, its his guy. But really we are comparing Max to Lewis.

https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/32420/...-right-now

I think this is why I can never fully embrace liking Max and its not even his fault, he burst on the scene in stunning and amazing fashion and everyone loses their mind as he was exciting, young and audacious. Completely put to one side was his irresponsible driving driving style, his double moves, his moving under braking that if 90% of other drivers performed they would be roundly criticized.

He was never truly penalized as he should have been, on the contrary he praised for being a breathe of fresh air.  Now all of sudden he is made out to be someone to be feared, ala Ayrton Senna. his get out of my way or else style of driving now makes him the best in F1. Not for me.

In this time when penalties are a major discussion in the sport Verstappen still needs to learn a lot in my book. Its all very well driving as he does but come the time he is on a more equal footing I wonder how many drivers will adopt the Senna attitude towards him of "No Kid you are not doing that" Has he got better lately?  Maybe.  Is he a WDC of the future? Probably. Is he as good as Lewis Hamilton?  No way in hell, he has got a long, long, long way to go.

I was going to post this up yesterday but didn't, for two reasons.

1. It's a clickbait article. Came up on my newsfeed from Motorsport and sky F1 sites. Both click harvesting websites.

2. It was said by Christian Horner so doesn't deserve anybody's attention.
[+] 2 users Like morini's post

oooooh contentious, until we see them in the same machinery who can realistically say? This year you could easily argue Max has been at least as good as Lewis in an inferior car. LH fans will always argue Lewis is better, the rest of us could argue Max hasnt been beaten (yet) by his wingman Wink
(yes I know we cant compare Bottas with Absolutely Ghastly )

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli

(10-07-2019, 10:41 AM)forzaferrari Wrote:  oooooh contentious, until we see them in the same machinery who can realistically say? This year you could easily argue Max has been at least as good as Lewis in an inferior car. LH fans will always argue Lewis is better, the rest of us could argue Max hasnt been beaten (yet) by his wingman Wink

Look, I think he's good and a future WDC, but this is all hype at the moment. I like the way he races but he is NOT the complete article yet. He is 5 seasons in and still no pole (just for a start). Don't often watch him in quali and think he had outperformed the car. He'd miles ahead of a very inferior teammate, when paired against DR it was a different story and it was clear Dan was treated as an afterthought.

He has definitely raised his game and cut out the mistakes but (as Neil pointed out) drivers don't trust him wheel to wheel. That goes against him IMO.

Way too early to say Max I'd better than the current benchmark driver in the sport. Horner blowing smoke up his arse so he doesn't bugger off to a better team.
[+] 1 user Likes morini's post

I have no `dog in this fight` so to speak so not really interested though I would argue "(as Neil pointed out) drivers don't trust him wheel to wheel. That goes against him IMO."....I dont see how this goes against Max, Just like 2 greats before him Senna & Schumacher, they also instilled the same `fear/worry` (call it what you will) into the other drivers, I dont see that as a negative....It certainly worked for those 2 greats.

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 1 user Likes forzaferrari's post

Instilling fear and "not trusting" are two completely different things. Hamilton "instills fear" (particularly against Vettel) but I also think those two trust each other enough not to do anything stupid. Same can't be said of Max, he has a reputation for not being the cleanest in attack or defense. The drivers don't trust Max due to some dubious moves in the past. Like I said, I like his style and have always said I admire his talent, but he's not always shown the best race craft up to now.

Fairly sure he will iron all this stuff out. Whether he is special enough to beat his contemporaries often enough to get near Hamilton's records is a different question. IMO he won't, purely because there are others on his level. When Hamilton came into F1 nobody was on his level.

There are some records Hamilton holds Max already can't match.
[+] 2 users Like morini's post

I dont think there a chance of Max beating Lewis records.

*I was going more on the "Now all of sudden he is made out to be someone to be feared, ala Ayrton Senna. his get out of my way or else style of driving now makes him the best in F1" Neil had stated rather than trust issues....my bad

* I dont think Lewis instills fear at all (except when it comes to Seb) other drivers dont really fear Lewis as they know he is smart enough to wait until he has the advantage elsewhere, Lewis is def not the type to take a chance & just shove it up the inside like Senna, Schumacher or Max.

[+] 1 user Likes forzaferrari's post

Yeah I saw this, Like Morini I think Horner & Marco are bricking it Max will leave, is Max on Lewis's Level, in my view not yet, but closer than any other current driver, I have like most Lewis & Max as 1 & 2, with Lewis's experience (for me) giving him the no1 spot, I agree with what Forza said about other drivers not trusting him is not a bad thing, Ayrton & Michael gave you a choice/decision, do you want to crash or I'm coming past.

Max has a bit of this in him, so does Lewis when he *needs to* that's one of the things Max needs to learn *when he needs to* not every overtake just when needed, for me that's the main difference, experience, Max is only going to get better & I have no doubt that CLK, Ocon, Russel & Norris are going to have their hands full with him, I never thought anyone would get near Michaels records (glad a Brit has) so who knows what Max will achieve.

Honestly not convinced it will happen but Max & Lewis in the same car? yes please!

Quote Morini & agree > "Way too early to say Max I'd better than the current benchmark driver in the sport. Horner blowing smoke up his arse so he doesn't bugger off to a better team."

(10-07-2019, 11:41 AM)forzaferrari Wrote:  He is smart enough to wait until he has the advantage elsewhere,

Lewis is def not the type to take a chance & just shove it up the inside like Senna, Schumacher or Max.

Agree Lewis knows how to race for a Championship, but disagree Lewis wont "just shove it up the inside like Senna, Schumacher or Max." Lewis in my view is one of the best over takers in F1, when its needed he holds back, when its a *must do* he's as good as anyone, as I said in my other post its one of the things Max will learn, for me the main difference is experience, they both have a gift from the driving God's.

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 3 users Like PapaofGags's post

Max is a great driver but he cannot control himself when it matters..
Even at the Austrian GP he had plenty of time to pass Le Clerc safely but instead, he could have taken himself and Le C out of the race with his heavy handed pass.

In Brazil last year his behaviour towards Ocon in the weigh room was the difference between class and trash. He was lucky to escape with what was f1's answer to community service.

As I said great driver but a bit of a hot head that will never fully have control of his own emotions...just like Senna.(Who was great but a dirty, untrusting little bollocks of a man).
[+] 4 users Like pennywise's post

(10-07-2019, 01:46 PM)pennywise Wrote:  just like Senna.(Who was great but a dirty, untrusting little bollocks of a man).

Lol, dont hold back buddy, say what you really think  Tongue

[+] 3 users Like forzaferrari's post