2024 Japanese GP

Trying to bring some enthusiasm  Big Grin

Who come's out on top at our new favourite team? Carlos is proving a point, Charles needs to fight back, can they take the fight to the Bull's who are predicted to be especially quick at Suzuka.

The McLaren was quick in Japan last year, hope they can do the same this year.

Will Red Bull bring a Zero pod as being reported? Horner would love to rub some salt in if he could I'm sure.

Possible rain & lower temp's expected, can the Merc's be better?.... ok that's maybe a stretch   Shutup

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 4 users Like PapaofGags's post

Horrible timing for me with this race. I will not be around for anything but I will probably stay up and watch the actual race.

You nailed it Papa it is very hard to summon much excitement for an event where the probable outcome is much the same every single race. Ferrari have made some progress they are not in the same postcode as Red Bull but they have closed the gap a little I feel. Sadly Mercedes season is already over. Barring unforeseen events in a given race there is no way they will win a race this season. I highly doubt anyone but Red Bull and Ferrari will.

McLaren are interesting they are I feel in play for a Podium at most races this season.

I feel bad for Carlos as he has done little wrong then I stop and think well if all of a sudden he is a better driver where has this been for the last multiple races. I would like to think Hamilton will elevate Ferrari more than either Leclerc or Sainz but that remains to be seen.

A Vettel sighting at Mercedes has raised questions of if he will be in the their seat next year. I would welcome him back but is he better than say Sainz would be, I dont know. I dont think so.
[+] 4 users Like NeilP's post

Japanese Grand Prix weather forecast

Saturday, April 6: FP3 & Qualifying

Saturday's final practice and qualifying sessions could be affected by rain, with a 30% chance of precipitation forecast. Temperatures will remain low, hovering around 17 degrees Celsius during the day and dipping to 11 degrees Celsius at night.

Maximum temperature: 17°C
Minimum temperature: 11°C
Chance of rain: 30%

Sunday, April 7: Race Day

Race day promises to be the most dramatic, with a 50% chance of rain forecasted. The maximum temperature is expected to reach 18 degrees Celsius, with a minimum of 12 degrees Celsius. This combination of potential rain and cool temperatures could significantly impact car performance and race strategy, making for a thrilling Suzuka showdown.

Maximum temperature: 18°C
Minimum temperature: 12°C
Chance of rain: 50%

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 3 users Like PapaofGags's post

(03-04-2024, 05:07 PM)NeilP Wrote:  A Vettel sighting at Mercedes has raised questions of if he will be in the their seat next year. 

But, but, but, GLOBAL WARMING!....and the pollution from his car (not to mention all those dirty air miles) would kill the bee`s.

Another hypocritical w@nkspangle Tongue

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 3 users Like forzaferrari's post

(05-04-2024, 02:00 PM)forzaferrari Wrote:  Another hypocritical w@nkspangle Tongue

I don't disagree with this sentiment per se. But, I also think it is possible to have a social conscience even if your job requires compromises to ones values.

In my view Sebastian Vettel is a decent human. If he chooses to come back to F1 and ends up flying around the word again (a necessity of the job) then at least he can do so safe in the knowledge he has done more than most to "offset" that behaviour.
[+] 4 users Like morini's post

(05-04-2024, 03:54 PM)morini Wrote:  I don't disagree with this sentiment per se. But, I also think it is possible to have a social conscience even if your job requires compromises to ones values.

In my view Sebastian Vettel is a decent human. If he chooses to come back to F1 and ends up flying around the word again (a necessity of the job) then at least he can do so safe in the knowledge he has done more than most to "offset" that behaviour.

Yup, I get that and 100% agree we all have a duty of care, however (in my simple mind) I think all this "carbon offsetting" is load of old tosh, for me its just box ticking & greenwashing.... a way for those concerned/self important type to feel better about themselves......they/you still have those xxx tonnes of footprint, just because they/you also drive an EV and use solar panels doesnt magically make that footprint disappear.....it just adds to that original footprint in what is classed as a "green" way.

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 2 users Like forzaferrari's post

(05-04-2024, 05:20 PM)forzaferrari Wrote:  they/you still have those xxx tonnes of footprint, just because they/you also drive an EV and use solar panels doesnt magically make that footprint disappear.....it just adds to that original footprint in what is classed as a "green" way.

All very valid points. You can't make carbon pollution "disappear", but it is possible to do things negate the effects.

Nobody is more sceptical about electric cars as a greener way forward than me bud. They certainly have their place in reducing emissions in cities and making the air nicer to breathe, but whilst coal powered generators still exist on the planet all they are doing is moving the point of CO2 generation. Cities are definitely better off for it, but the CO2 is still getting burnt to recharge all those EV's.

My point is mostly about attitude. Half the battle is about "consumers" realising the impact their behaviour is having on the world. Small changes when made by large numbers of humans can have a big impact. These are the sort of messages the likes of Seb Vettel and Lewis Hamilton are trying to get across. Just because they are huge consumers does not make them hypocrites. At least not to rational people Wink

I'm not a tree hugger, as you know. I'd just like to think future generations have a decent environment to live in.
[+] 4 users Like morini's post

And again I agree with you on almost all of what you say mate, however I do find it a tad hypocritical for anyone involved in F1 to preach about "green" issues, yes they have a platform to reach to the masses, but when they themselves produce more emissions in a single season than everyone on this site would in a lifetime, then perhaps they aint the right one(s) to promote the green message. Like I say, I do agree for the most part.

[+] 2 users Like forzaferrari's post

Formula One trying to be Green is beyond ridiculous. Twenty racing cars are going to make ZERO difference to the planet. If F1 was serious about being responsible it would make a better effort in so many areas. The supports systems for the races themselves are hugely inefficient and as flying back and forth across thousands of miles on a regular basis. Well its a joke. I know the schedule is a little better this year but I think that is more down to fitting in extra races rather than any attempt at being Green.

Did not watch a single second of anything F1 which is a shame I love Suzuka. I had a debate with myself (which I won) about staying up to watch the race then asked myself why. Verstappen is going to win by a mile, your guy stands zero chance of a podium and I have much more interest in Manchester United vs Liverpool which if I stayed up would be watched with very little sleep!

I truly see F1 losing more and more fans as time goes by. I am sorry there is only so many times I can/will repeat the obvious. My only interest for this season is can Lando win his first race. Odds are no but one lives in hope. Next up will be 2025 when Hamilton moves to Ferrari. I still expect to see Verstappen win 9/10 races but at least Hamilton can fight for the 1/10 he will not win. Mercedes are a disaster. The BBC's Bensons piece Saturday about Mercedes "Blossoming" was a very embarrassing piece of journalism at least in the days prior he told everyone Verstappen was all but sure to win the race. I am not a huge fan of his but when you see what is on offer to write about what can you do! You can only write so much about Verstappen winning every race before like this amateur here you run out of things to say...

"Ask not whom the bell tolls for, it tolls for thee"

That is my new motto for F1
[+] 2 users Like NeilP's post

I actually quite enjoyed the race. Ignoring Max out up front the rest of it was quite interesting with a mixture of different characteristics of cars bringing them into contention at different stages in the race. For once there were a few interesting passes.

I was pleased for Lando but in the end some of the strategy (some went well and some not so much) was quite tricky with the number of stops, tyre deg, the cars becoming lighter as fuel burned down and the track temp changing significantly being a bit of a tactical challenge. The pack were close enough for all of that to matter which hasn't been the case in previous seasons.

This meant that at different stages I thought Ferrari, McLaren, Aston (Fernando not the other chump) and even George might have a chance of the 3rd place.

I realise that this isn't much consolation as Max was always going to win but Checo had a decent race, Alonso, Lando and even George did pretty well as did Saintz.
The Alpines were absolutely shite and Danny Ricc is about two races short of the end of his F1 career in my view. I am also starting to think that Forza might have a point in that Charlie was the wrong pick to stay with the reds....

I would also have to say that the Japanese put on a good event and the professional way they sort stuff is always pretty good.
[+] 3 users Like PaddyB's post