2024 Australian GP

Carlos Sainz is expected to return at the Australian Grand Prix for Ferrari after recovering from successful appendix surgery. (SKY F1)

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 3 users Like PapaofGags's post

I feel sorry for Carlos - the rest of the year he will have his performances constantly compared to the performance from a guy in one race. He's already lost his seat - he doesn't deserve the nonsense that the press will spew for the rest of the season.

Having said that Bearman's performance should be a warning to ALL the drivers on the grid - it seems that these cars are not as hard to drive as is made out. Either Bearman is a significant talent - Or most likely any of the F2 grid could make a fist of finishing anywhere other than first in a race....or maybe even first if RBR would allow anyone better than Perez in that second RBR seat.
[+] 4 users Like Westie's post

I think Sainz is a second tier driver. That is still pretty special as I always say very few get this far in their careers. Interesting comment from Westie, I think Bearman's performance was exceptional, the only caveat I would add is it was a Ferrari he was driving which looks to be the second best car on the grid right now.

I do think the gap between F2 and F1 has closed over the years certainly the top drivers not the whole field. The number of former F2 drivers doing well in F1 has increased it seems.

Australia is not one of my favourite circuits I find it exceptionally boring. My abiding memory in recent years of the place was Alonso's crash in the McLaren. I am staggered he walked away from that it was a totally horrific crash there was nothing left of that car. I dont think I have ever been so amazed and relieved at the same time watching any sport. Grosjeans crash at Bahrain will rival that of course.

Not sure I will be around for much of this meeting but I will probably be around to Chat for the race. Not so sure you guys will due to the time of the event.

I hope everyone is doing well.
[+] 4 users Like NeilP's post

Sergio Perez thinks it would be “a blow” for Red Bull if Max Verstappen was to leave the team at the end of the 2024 F1 season.

My translation... "I hope he feck's off so I get a chance of a WDC"

In a car Logan Sargeant could be a champion in. Wink

[+] 4 users Like PapaofGags's post

There is no way in hell Verstappen is leaving Red Bull whilst the car is so far ahead of everyone else. In fairness to him no driver would.

Perez should have been dropped long ago, it is reasonable to assume that Red Bull do not want anyone to challenge Verstappen.
[+] 4 users Like NeilP's post

Agreed Neil - whilst Vers is doing the job he currently is there is no need to put anyone else in that car. 

The tables may turn if the gaggle behind suddenly unlock something that make it "interesting" and challenging for Vers though that looks unlikely. 

I think Merc and the FIA fell into a trap by agreeing to freeze engine development - or was it just Merc?  They effectively handed this set of rules to RBR on a plate and tied everyone elses hands.  They should have at least kept the token system as other teams may have been able to "outpower" RBR's aero.

One team that has imploded because of this is Alpine - I can't imagine they were happy to live with a budget cap and have the engine development frozen as well..... and of course it shows.

I'm not interested in who is fighting for second when the same person is in first week in and week out.  The only happy people in F1 at the moment are Max Verstappen fans.  If the rights holders believe that F1 can continue as it is without intervention then they are mistaken.  I don't think they can wait for 2026 if Max whitewashes this season like he did last.  I don't care what anyone says about Merc from 2014 onwards ... it was exciting cos there were other teams that came to fore and Merc were clever enough to "hide" some of their dominance and they allowed free racing within the team,  whereas RedBull are merely making a mockery of the field at the moment and the FIA is allowing it to continue.  Which reminds me - we never needed RedBull or anyone else for that matter to say too much before they fiddled with the rules to try to put Merc off.  When are we going to see such shenanigans from them for these regs?

So back on topic again... Australia - meh - we know who is going to win - it's a boring track - I'm not particularly interested in the nonsense that surrounds Short Spice at the moment,  this is not what I tune in to watch so whilst dramatic - it's usually the kind of thing that makes me skip channels and we all know it's simply a distraction made more interesting because the racing is dire.
[+] 4 users Like Westie's post

"Well Liberty, you wanted to bring F1 to a modern audience and now you have it. A nauseating, toxic, self righteous circus show of scandal and soap opera drama.

Snarling V10’s, grid girls, The Chain, gladiatorial drivers and exotic beautiful custom-built race tracks seem so very, very far away.

Whatever this freak show is, it is not Formula One anymore."

This was a comment I saw, hard to argue with isn't it?...    Cry

[+] 5 users Like PapaofGags's post

Domination has always been a feature of the sport but this ridiculous. At the same time a I am angry and disappointed I cannot help but admire the car itself it is amazing! As for Short spice he is guilty in my eyes how guilty is the question but like you I dont give the tiniest S$%T about the outcome.

Good quote Papa whoever that was is saying what most of us think.

Eaten any good cheese lately?
[+] 2 users Like NeilP's post

(21-03-2024, 10:33 PM)NeilP Wrote:  1) Domination has always been a feature of the sport

2) I cannot help but admire the car itself it is amazing!

3) As for Short spice he is guilty in my eyes 

4) Good quote Papa whoever that was is saying what most of us think.

5) Eaten any good cheese lately?

1) Yeah mate, this does feel like the cap has stopped anyone catching up though, I remember some of you saying this would happen when it came into force, 2026 seems a long time away.

2) Agree its the millennium falcon of its day, Newey's a ground effect genius, hope he goes to Ferrari! 

3) 100%, a man, a married man in a position power...

4) Sad but true.

5) Please don't tell my Dr, I've cut down on cheese soo much... but I as you know I "love" cheese, this weekend we have F1, Moto GP & WSBK so as a treat for lunch I have home made tomato soup, sour dough toasted with Brie de meaux...

FFS don't tell the lads I'm eating French cheese, lets keep it between us ok  Wink

[+] 4 users Like PapaofGags's post

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 4 users Like forzaferrari's post