Tech talk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGQqAuaofqE (13m 7s)

Who's Winning the Development Race? 2023 F1 Mid-Season Tech Talk Review

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 3 users Like PapaofGags's post

FIA have issued TD018 aimed at Flexiwings, but the changes won't come in until the Singapore GP

Teams have until September 8 to submit wing designs.

FIA believes teams are exploiting systems that rotate and flex front/rear wing elements in ways that cannot be detected through regular tests.

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 4 users Like forzaferrari's post

If you cannot detect it what is the point of having a rule?

This is a dog and pony show. Honestly some of these people who make the rules up need to be shot at dawn.
[+] 4 users Like NeilP's post

Lots of talk about the Singapore race being one which could upset Red Bull's winning streak and as much as I'd like that to happen,  I suspect we're in for a whitewash season. 

In fact one small part of me hopes that they accomplish that so that it becomes glaringly obvious and undeniable that Red Bull's advantage cannot be eroded with the cost cap in place.  I know some folks think that the cost cap is a good thing but if 24 goes the way of 23.  Then we won't only see Red Bull Racing win again,  but if things go the way Hell Mutt is suggesting - then there could be 4 red bull sponsored/owned cars in the top 4 places in 2024.  Before anyone poo poos that idea because there are supposedly rules to stop that..... remember the team and series we are dealing with.  It's the Red Bull Racing F1 series and they can do what the hell they like with impunity.

We need rid of the cost cap,  and if they want to make it more interesting,  allow customer teams or B teams.  I mean the amount of money that the sport costs these days the independent teams are basically priced out of it from the start.  Haas needs to sell up,  perhaps to Andretti?  They are going nowhere.  At least Alfa Romeo are in a good place if you consider Audi picking them up and of course the "independence" that anyone might tout... is gone from them as well.

The rules have been tied down too much for the independent teams to afford the brain power to challenge the large teams.  Merely putting a car on the track these days means that a team has to spend silly money - innovation is then just too expensive on top of the basics if you have aging infra to slow you down or you make a mistake on your design path.

So - unless the idea is to eventually drag F1 into a spec series (or just merge the series with Indy if the US get's it way) I don't see the point of a cost cap.  It was supposed to bring the teams together and open up the sport for more teams.  Well it's failed on point 1 and the members of the Concorde agreement don't want to share the business with any new teams so that has failed as well.
[+] 1 user Likes Westie's post

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/artic...ZIoCK.html

Have McLaren and other teams homed in on Red Bull’s secret ingredient?

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 5 users Like PapaofGags's post