2 Seconds a Lap Quicker?

[/url][url=2 Seconds a lap quicker]https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/133562...st-in-2018

So teams have given Pirelli data, and indications that the 2018 cars will be 2 seconds a lap quicker... it’s more than believable to me. At the start of other previous rule changes the second season normally saw bigger gains as teams suss the rules out, then contraction as everyone homed in on the optimal design. In fact generally speaking a 2 second a lap bump is actually quite low, and I think we all know the reasons:

1) No monkey seat
2) No Shark fin
3) No T-Wing

And super delux kick in the speed pants... drum roll please...

4) The bloody Halo

Force India are claiming the Halo is adding an extra 14kgs to the car, Haas, Toro Rosso, Renault and Williams have all mentioned similar figures as they try to meat FIA load bearing tests. That’s a lot of weight added to the cars, and a lot of performance taken away. So...

Here’s my prediction...

The big teams were never going to be as badly hit by the aero changes as the also ran teams. They just aren’t. They are also likely to be able to meet the FIA stress tests with less weight too, just as there current front wings do, because, well... they employ the very best material scientists. So, I predict the gap to the also ran teams from the front runners will actually increase rather than retract as has been the case in previous regulation changes. I expect the big teams to be 2 to 2.5 seconds quicker in Melbourne, with the rest between 0.5 to 1 second quicker, and with the lower teams being more aero element limited that gap will actually widen as the season progresses.
[+] 1 user Likes Jody Barton's post

(16-12-2017, 08:47 AM)Jody Barton Wrote:  Force India are claiming the Halo is adding an extra 14kgs to the car

I think everyone knows my opinion on the Halo, so I won't start that argument up again. Bur 14Kgs!!! That is bloody ridiculous, the FIA need a serious rethink. They know it's not right for the sport, but are too worried about losing face to back down.

Formula 1 = open wheel, open cockpit formula (for me anyway).
[+] 3 users Like morini's post

It’s not just 14kg it’s 14kg that’s high up, it puts into perspectives Neweys gripes about it adding between 4 to 6kgs a car. I fully expect the big teams to have more of a weight advantage yet again and be able to shift ballast around low down and gain performance over the lower teams. It’s stupid. The limiting of aero elements (I know people don’t like Shark fins and T-wings) will adversely affect the smaller teams too. I do wonder if those in charge know what they’re doing.
[+] 1 user Likes Jody Barton's post

Like most I hate the halo because of looks and because of principle; F1 is open cockpit and F1 drivers do not need more protection than all the other sporters (motorcycle drivers, bicycle drivers, etc).

But if this is true, the gap between top teams and the rest will be even bigger than it is (and it already is that big it's killing the sport for some fans).
Kill that bloody halo, please.
[+] 2 users Like Antilochos's post

This is probably the best argument against them. An almost 10kg difference could be worth between 0.5 to 0.8 second difference. Especially when considering that it’s high up on the cars and will be unsettling to them. I just think if the big teams are able to do it for the 6kg target or under, and the rest are hitting 14 to 16kg that some are mentioning it’ll kill the competition further. Seeing the big boys circulate at 4 Seconds a Lap Quicker in race trim could be disastrous.
[+] 2 users Like Jody Barton's post