The Sound of F1

To this day people complain that there's not enough noise in an F1 car and I keep seeing articles calling for the reintroduction of V8's or how wonderful the screaming V10's were.   We even had Alonso drive one of his old Renault car's last year at one of the tracks which I think was a V10 and I do remember it making an impression with the amount of noise it made.

I just don't get it though.  When Alonso drove that Renault around the track it just seemed out of place to me.  The thing was screaming it's arse off and frankly looked like it was going nowhere.  It's akin to watching kids drive by in a 1.2 Corsa which has an exhaust the size of a drainpipe waking the neighborhood doing 2 miles and hour.  There's a lot of show but absolutely no go.  

I was quite pleased when the hybrids came in and frankly I enjoyed hearing the tyres complaining as it brought an interesting dimension to the spectacle.....one which we had never heard before due to the noise of the V8's.

I know that a lot of petrolheads like noise and I can agree to a point.  However to me noise should only be there when it's demonstrating the performance of the vehicle.  If they are doing 60 - 80 in the pit lane and you can't hear yourself think what is the point? 

In person this noise or rather the frequency generated by the noise is part of the visceral experience you have/want when attending an F1 event.  So I do understand we need some noise.  As they have started to "manufacture" more noise back into the hybrids I'm finding I am missing the tyres squealing when they make mistakes.

At the moment I think I'm happy with the sound of F1,  I don't miss V8's or V10's and would not be happy to see or rather hear those noise levels return.

So how to you guys feel about what F1 should sound like?
[+] 3 users Like Westie's post

To be honest I enjoyed hearing the old high revving screamers of years gone by, more so when actually attending races......however, I dont see myself ever attending another f1 race so im fine with what I now hear on the telly.

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 3 users Like forzaferrari's post

(29-09-2022, 11:51 AM)Westie Wrote:  So how to you guys feel about what F1 should sound like?

Disclaimer: I'm a Dinosaur      Wink

I miss not just the sound/noise but the thump on the chest we used to feel as a "proper" engine screamed past taking gulping amounts of air out of the atmosphere, if you were lucky enough to be at a spot where they would be changing down 3 or 4 gears you could feel vibrating inside your chest, just incredible.

Its been 7 years since I took Gags to SPA & I thought live they sounded tame, except the Honda which sounded like a bag of spanners! the sound has obviously changed since then, think its Morini who has attended a race most recently he would be a better judge of the hybrids now.

What literally shook me was the MOTO GP bikes, clucking bell, sound/noise on another level, ground shaking and amazing!

Just my own opinion, as I said "I'm a Dinosaur"

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 3 users Like PapaofGags's post

(29-09-2022, 01:09 PM)PapaofGags Wrote:  What literally shook me was the MOTO GP bikes, clucking bell, sound/noise on another level, ground shaking and amazing!

This year was the return of the North West 200 after several years absence and my first time watching from one of the slowest sections of the circuit, York corner.....because the bikes come from over a brow there is next to no sound until they appear doing stupid mph.......the (sudden) thunder of a group of Superbikes coming (pretty much) straight at you and the deafening roar is something to behold......first lap of the first race im damn sure everyone including myself took a step or two backwards......the noise & feeling the ground move under your feet, the excitement mixed with a healthy dose of fear..... thats how motorsport should be, the sound of any racing engine should very much be part of the spectacle imo.

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 4 users Like forzaferrari's post