Arise Sir Lewis!!!

Okay I know over the years the Knighthood has become much less of an award (which in of itself is sad) but based on what I see he totally deserves it.

Forza, get your head out of the oven its bad for you and anyway its electric you idiot !
[+] 4 users Like NeilP's post

I am conflicted by this if I am honest.

On the plus side it will send the hateful plebs on the internet into fits of apoplectic rage which is highly amusing and will cheer me up no end in the grim January to come. On the negative side the concept of the "royals" is something there should be no place for in modern society. Pleased that Lewis Hamilton has been recognised for his outstanding achievements as he deserves all the accolades (and is fundamentally a good person too), but it would impress me more if he turned it down. "Thank you Liz, but I don't need any seal of approval from some archaic, irrelevant institution" or something along those lines Laughing

He will accept it of course as he already has the MBE and I won't let it change my opinion of the bloke. A once in a lifetime talent who has rewritten the record books in his chosen sport. Makes no difference to me whether he calls himself sir or not.

For anyone who doesn't want to go searching for it the list in full is here https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/63218. I only looked to see who else had been made a KB.
[+] 4 users Like morini's post

(31-12-2020, 11:39 AM)morini Wrote:   I only looked to see who else had been made a KB.

"Made a KB"....one could argue he has been a KnoB for years  Tongue

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 3 users Like forzaferrari's post

(31-12-2020, 11:43 AM)forzaferrari Wrote:  "Made a KB"....one could argue he has been a KnoB for years  Tongue

Yeay, yeah, same old same old and I know you mean that in a light hearted way but I've heard that all before. You like everyone else are entitled to your opinion, but I believe it is misguided and your argument that he has "been a knob for years" is flawed. Nobody can make you like the chap and you never will, I get that and fill your boots cos it makes no difference to anyone else. Lewis Hamilton won't read it or much care if he did Tongue

Let's just say if he were my son I would be incredibly proud. Well done Anthony Hamilton who deserves a lot of credit for where his son ended up. He is clearly a much better parent than me! Perhaps I should ask him to come live in my house for a year and sort my two kids out?

(31-12-2020, 12:14 PM)morini Wrote:  Let's just say if he were my son I would be incredibly proud. Well done Anthony Hamilton who deserves a lot of credit for where his son ended up.

He is clearly a much better parent than me! Perhaps I should ask him to come live in my house for a year and sort my two kids out?

Yeah agree, hard not to be with what Lewis has achieved, working all those jobs with all the stress that goes with it to fund him, then his boy achieves on another level, yes I think all of us would be proud.

Haha, Sir you are not alone! parenthood...... how hard can it be?    Laughing

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 2 users Like PapaofGags's post

(31-12-2020, 12:14 PM)morini Wrote:  Yeay, yeah, same old same old and I know you mean that in a light hearted way but I've heard that all before. You like everyone else are entitled to your opinion, but I believe it is misguided and your argument that he has "been a knob for years" is flawed. Nobody can make you like the chap and you never will, I get that and fill your boots cos it makes no difference to anyone else. Lewis Hamilton won't read it or much care if he did 

Yes the comment was made in jest......but I dont see it as misguided nor flawed, he does come across as a knob for the most part.....just for a minute, take away his excellence as a f1 driver and being the most successful driver in history.... what are we left with?.....

Big Grin

(I should add I dont begrudge him his knighthood, fair play to him)

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli

Found this Damon Hill put up.    Cool

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

[+] 3 users Like PapaofGags's post

Is it necessary for me to call him Sir Bellend from now on? Wink

(01-01-2021, 02:51 PM)forzaferrari Wrote:  Is it necessary for me to call him Sir Bellend from now on? Wink

Yup...... you'll also have to doff your hat mate...... then give up your seat on the bus to Sir Lewis...   Haha  Laughing

[+] 3 users Like PapaofGags's post

(31-12-2020, 02:25 PM)forzaferrari Wrote:  just for a minute, take away his excellence as a f1 driver and being the most successful driver in history.... what are we left with?.....

A fundamentally good person with a strong moral compass who appears to care about doing good for others. Someone who demonstrates sportsmanship while continually improving himself in a highly pressured environment. That's what I see anyway. YMMV.

What's more his achievements are even more remarkable because of the manner in which he went about attaining them. I'm not basing that purely on my own opinion either, have another read of what James Allison says in the recent BBC article (link for those who have not read it). The man wants to win at all costs but also has a line he will not cross. I really admire that and in my eyes it is what makes him better than Michael Schumacher (and to a lesser degree of "I'll cheat to win if I have to" also Prost and Senna).

Yeah, he certainly made a lot of mistakes with the media earlier in his career, but he should be forgiven most of that as he grew up (emotionally) in the glare of the public eye. Max Verstappen is also saying some similarly stupid things in public (also having to grow up under intense media scrutiny) but for some reason he doesn't get the same level of online criticism. No idea why that is? I'd guess it's because he doesn't have the same level of success or his supporters aren't British who love to despise success, probably both!

I do get why Lewis rubs a lot of people up the wrong way and he is surely not "conventional" in the way he looks and conducts his life. Me, I have never paid attention to any of that because at the end of the day it is his business how he chooses to live his life. Live and let live I say.

Anyway, I've said what I think so will end by repeating what I said earlier. If I were Anthony Hamilton I would be more than proud to call Lewis my son.