CONFIRMED!!! Alfa Romeo are back.

So there you have it, all the rumours were right, and Alfa will be back on the grid, so four red cars on the grid next year:

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/133337...ith-sauber

Thoughts?
[+] 1 user Likes Jody Barton's post

I think it's great for the team, although it' s a gutsy move, FIAT must be confident in Ferrari's 2018 PU to associate themselves with a back-marker team.

Hopefully it will bring some much needed cash too, and they can attract some higher calibre drivers. Unfortunately for Pascal it looks like it was a year too late, the writing must surely be on the wall for Ericsson too if he doesn't perform next Season - assuming he is about to be confirmed as a 2018 driver.

Purple Banana (a.k.a John or JB  Smile )
"The flowers of victory belong in many vases." - Michael Schumacher
[+] 1 user Likes Purple-banana's post

(29-11-2017, 12:43 PM)Purple-banana Wrote:  the writing must surely be on the wall for Ericsson too if he doesn't perform next Season - assuming he is about to be confirmed as a 2018 driver.

Well... you see, here in Sweden the news has been taken to mean Ericsson is out, and Giovinazzi is in. It sounds like quite a comprehensive link up. Ferrari junior personnel / engineering talent also seem to be part of the deal, with young engineers being given the chance to go and work on secondment, as it were, at another team and earn their stripes. For Ferrari / Fiat it'll be a win win, and Sauber shouldn't do too badly out of it. In Italy it is being seen as a precursor to a potential full buyout, depending on performance.

(29-11-2017, 01:29 PM)Jody Barton Wrote:  
(29-11-2017, 12:43 PM)Purple-banana Wrote:  the writing must surely be on the wall for Ericsson too if he doesn't perform next Season - assuming he is about to be confirmed as a 2018 driver.

Well... you see, here in Sweden the news has been taken to mean Ericsson is out, and Giovinazzi is in. It sounds like quite a comprehensive link up. Ferrari junior personnel / engineering talent also seem to be part of the deal, with young engineers being given the chance to go and work on secondment, as it were, at another team and earn their stripes. For Ferrari / Fiat it'll be a win win, and Sauber shouldn't do too badly out of it. In Italy it is being seen as a precursor to a potential full buyout, depending on performance.

As far as I heard Ericsson has done a deal with BMW DTM  (just needs signed off)

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 1 user Likes forzaferrari's post

Forza that's seemingly the news around these parts too re-Ericsson. The Swedish backers at Sauber also have very strong links in the DTM series. I'm hearing Wehrlein might be off to WEC and I heard strong rumours Penske are looking at him also for Indycar, as it looks like Montoya might finally be about to hang up his gloves. I just don't think we've seen the best of Wehrlein. In junior Formula he really, really impressed me. There are also his test drives for Mercedes for a couple of seasons where he essentially out performed Rosberg at one of them, and did the same to Hamilton at another, sure, Lewis and Nico probably weren't at full beans, but his times were mighty. Then their was his debut DTM performances which were nothing short of stunning. Can't remember which track it was now, but he managed to lap... yes lap in DTM up to 8th on the grid and finish nearly 45 seconds ahead of second place. It was a blistering faultless drive. Such a shame.
[+] 2 users Like Jody Barton's post

(29-11-2017, 01:53 PM)Jody Barton Wrote:  Forza that's seemingly the news around these parts too re-Ericsson. The Swedish backers at Sauber also have very strong links in the DTM series. I'm hearing Wehrlein might be off to WEC and I heard strong rumours Penske are looking at him also for Indycar, as it looks like Montoya might finally be about to hang up his gloves. I just don't think we've seen the best of Wehrlein. In junior Formula he really, really impressed me. There are also his test drives for Mercedes for a couple of seasons where he essentially out performed Rosberg at one of them, and did the same to Hamilton at another, sure, Lewis and Nico probably weren't at full beans, but his times were mighty. Then their was his debut DTM performances which were nothing short of stunning. Can't remember which track it was now, but he managed to lap... yes lap in DTM up to 8th on the grid and finish nearly 45 seconds ahead of second place. It was a blistering faultless drive. Such a shame.

100% agree there, Pascal is an immense talent who for various reasons never shone as he did in previous times, a huge pity he didn`t progress into a better team where he could show his true skills. As for Ericsson for some reason I never warmed to him and to be honest there are better drivers coming through the ranks from what I can see anyway.

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli

(29-11-2017, 01:41 PM)forzaferrari Wrote:  As far as I heard Ericsson has done a deal with BMW DTM  (just needs signed off)

Is there any website link confirming it? I think that's Joel Ericsson not Marcus.
[+] 2 users Like BrendanSylvester's post

(29-11-2017, 03:43 PM)BrendanSylvester Wrote:  
(29-11-2017, 01:41 PM)forzaferrari Wrote:  As far as I heard Ericsson has done a deal with BMW DTM  (just needs signed off)

Is there any website link confirming it? I think that's Joel Ericsson not Marcus.

Hi, that came from a buddy of mine in Germany (works along side a large car company with 3 initials Wink) last night in a phone call, perhaps I picked him up wrong...I will have to check that, apologies if that is the case

Brendon's right, it's Joel EriKsson, note the 'k' not the 'c'. Some sports writer at Aftonbladet got their wires crossed. lol. Website has now corrected the story.

(29-11-2017, 04:27 PM)Jody Barton Wrote:  Brendon's right, it's Joel EriKsson, note the 'k' not the 'c'. Some sports writer at Aftonbladet got their wires crossed. lol. Website has now corrected the story.

I heard the name Ericsson last night in a phone call so looks like I have picked that up wrong, apologies.