Was Michael Masi the right guy to replace Charlie?

Plenty of controversy around the chap this year. 

Apparently it isn't "good governance" to change the penalty points system mid season even though it clearly isn't doing what was designed to do (i.e. deter drivers from being dangerous). Points being awarded for minor infractions is stupid but Masi digging his heels in again and on the defensive as has become the norm with him. Ironic that it is ok to change the rules mid season to try and slow teams down but it isn't ok to change the rules mid season to correct a system that is badly conceived.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/fia-c...ce/4900890

My view is he isn't the right man for the job. What do others think?

<perhaps I should add a poll?>
[+] 1 user Likes morini's post

I didnt read the article but I thought the teams were involved in deciding things like this pre season?......if so surely you/we cant lay the blame at Masi alone
(I still think he`s a cockwomble either way)

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 2 users Like forzaferrari's post

(30-10-2020, 08:09 PM)forzaferrari Wrote:  surely you/we cant lay the blame at Masi alone

Nice to at least get some engagement on here. It's been like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFW6yUlgGdI on here last few weeks.

FWIW, I don't blame the guy for the (stupid) rules, I blame the guy for not being willing to change the (stupid) rules at short notice. The irony of not being able to change these penalty point rules mid season when they clearly are willing to change some "other" rules was my target with this post! Laughing

The guy needs to go IMO. Open to hear arguments to other opinions.

My view -> Charlie was driver focussed and had their best interests at heart. Masi has the FIA interests at heart.
[+] 3 users Like morini's post

Honestly I've not heard much about the state of affairs in this area, interesting to be brought up though. You maybe right about the focus orientation shift, I imagine should this become more apparent we will certainly start to hear more when a driver breaks silence. Worth keeping an eye on.

My previous sig was obsolete, McLaren ain't disappointing Heshy no more.
[+] 2 users Like Monster Hesh's post

All the drivers loved Charlie as he had their interests at heart and would listen to their opinions beyond the "rules". There was a lot of mutual respect which looks to be completely missing with this new guy. Perhaps that level of trust will come in time, but at this point I'd say Masi is an FIA man rather than a drivers man.

Charlie is badly missed I think. He was always a voice of reason and obviously on the drivers side.
[+] 3 users Like The Professor's post

I think my personal thoughts on Masi are well known. If we take this season out of the equation, because it's a weird year, he's still made multiple questionable decisions so far. He has had some open dissent from some drivers too, including Grosjean, Perez, Ricciardo, Verstappen, Bottas, Vettel and Hamilton. The younger guys (Max aside) have been quiet, but those with a bit of experience haven't had a problem calling Masi out on things. His handling of the restart of the Tuscan GP was a calamity. As was his handling of the pitlane entrance in Monza. There have been a few other balls ups most recently missing the drain covers were loose in Portugal at a track inspection a few days prior to the race. I know he has impossibly big boots to fill, but he's not getting close. There are done seriously experienced race directors out there in other formula, Masi has had his chance to step up, and he's failed in my opinion. Not good enough.
[+] 2 users Like Jody Barton's post

Not sure if this has been posted elsewhere but another judgement error:

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/vette...rev&nrt=54
[+] 3 users Like PaddyB's post

(16-11-2020, 05:57 PM)PaddyB Wrote:  Not sure if this has been posted elsewhere but another judgement error:

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/vette...rev&nrt=54

Yeah, I did see that article earlier. What makes me most uncomfortable about the guy is his reluctance to ever front up and say "yes, we made a mistake and will learn from it". Rather he is constantly on the defensive and justifying himself. Not the right approach.
[+] 2 users Like morini's post

Just found this by accident, worked out well didn't it...     Laughing

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 1 user Likes PapaofGags's post