Croft, are you listening?

(13-09-2020, 10:26 AM)morini Wrote:  
(13-09-2020, 10:09 AM)Beano Wrote:  Ok as one for of a mighty 6 against,  then it’s now time to drop until/IF it becomes part of F1. Closed

Well, there are 11 members on here who I would class as regular posters not 6. So that makes you roughly 10% of the population.

Also, just to put that poll you posted into some sort of rational context, apparently that site allowed anonymous voting. This chap commenting under that poll points out there is also a youtube vid that goes with it (I have not looked for it) where people can only post comments if they have a google account. Apparently that tells a completely different story.

So, you appear to be basing your argument on something about as trustworthy as Flavio Briatore!!

If you want the thread closed one of the moderators can oblige.

I thought we were finished lol. Why is this my argument btw? You do realise there are thousands and thousands of people out there. You can’t just have your argument and think you’re the voice of the majority, that’s just not how these things work. You’ve cited a few people one of whom works for Mercedes who don’t want it? Yet because Toto says it you think he speaks for the majority?? 
You can’t even cite the said survey so what does that tell you?? I happen to voice against the majority in here well all 7 who speak that’s fine. I’m not here to sway I’m here to say “it’s not all how you think it should be” that’s all. I happen to have other people on another site who are both in agreement yourself and with myself. Whether you like it or not it’s quite a divided argument and not a landslide against, as you would believe, nor the cheap narrative that only “kids” want it that’s your own made up thing. So happy to debate “fors and against“ rather than STFU we don’t want it approach. Maybe in this little forum yes but certainly not outside in the bigger world.

Final point it may/may not happen but I bet my house you’ll watch it and that makes you a hypocrite in my book. LM will only care that you watch it initially whether you continue to is a different story entirely.

I don’t want it closed you said it wasn’t worth talking about I said fine “closed” as in discussion not the thread that wouldn’t be very fair for anyone who wanted to talk about it.

(13-09-2020, 10:54 AM)Beano Wrote:  Final point it may/may not happen but I bet my house you’ll watch it and that makes you a hypocrite in my book. LM will only care that you watch it initially whether you continue to is a different story entirely.

I don’t want it closed you said it wasn’t worth talking about I said fine “closed” as in discussion not the thread that wouldn’t be very fair for anyone who wanted to talk about it.

You don't know me, I don't really appreciate being called a hypocrite much. You will lose your house as I'm not interested in a sport which handicaps the best to give the weaker opponents a better chance.

Here is the video the guy who quoted on that "the race" site refers to in the picture I attached above. The comments below the video that suggest there isn't as much support for this idea as you think there is and it also indicates that the poll you referred to isn't trustworthy. That was the point I was making as I already know what I think about the idea and no amount of debating will ever change my opinion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAO5stJaMrY

I like the majority of others (on here at least) want to watch a sport where the best performers are not handicapped. It is as simple as that for me. F1 isn't mario kart and "the show" means nothing to me.

(13-09-2020, 11:11 AM)morini Wrote:  
(13-09-2020, 10:54 AM)Beano Wrote:  Final point it may/may not happen but I bet my house you’ll watch it and that makes you a hypocrite in my book. LM will only care that you watch it initially whether you continue to is a different story entirely.

You don't know me, I don't really appreciate being called a hypocrite much. You will lose your house as I'm not interested in a sport which handicaps the best to give the weaker opponents a better chance.

Here is the video the guy who quoted on that "the race" site refers to in the picture I attached above. The comments below the video that suggest there isn't as much support for this idea as you think there is and it also indicates that the poll you referred to isn't trustworthy. That was the point I was making as I already know what I think about the idea and no amount of debating will ever change my opinion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAO5stJaMrY

I like the majority of others (on here at least) want to watch a sport where the best performers are not handicapped. It is as simple as that for me. F1 isn't mario kart and "the show" means nothing to me.

As I said not here to sway. We all have our opinions time to move on from this now. Too much sport to watch today.

The best argument I've heard against this idea comes from one of my paddock spies. He said sports have continuity, and that's an important part of all sports, that on some level you can compare past teams achievements with current teams, past athletes etc. etc. etc. Pole positions are one of the ways F1 has continuity. Sure, we've had different formats for finding pole sitter, but fundamentally it has been about the fastest driver / car combo doing the fastest lap. You take that away from the sport and you lose the continuity and it's no longer the same sport. That's the best argument against reverse grid races to set pole I've heard.
[+] 2 users Like Jody Barton's post

(13-09-2020, 08:33 PM)Jody Barton Wrote:  The best argument I've heard against this idea comes from one of my paddock spies. He said sports have continuity, and that's an important part of all sports, that on some level you can compare past teams achievements with current teams, past athletes etc. etc. etc. Pole positions are one of the ways F1 has continuity. Sure, we've had different formats for finding pole sitter, but fundamentally it has been about the fastest driver / car combo doing the fastest lap. You take that away from the sport and you lose the continuity and it's no longer the same sport. That's the best argument against reverse grid races to set pole I've heard.

This ^^^^

But my key gripe with the whole stupid idea is that it is fundamentally unfair. Very, very surprised Ross Brawn is pushing for this. He has always come across as a level headed and "sporting" person. This idea is anything but.
[+] 3 users Like morini's post

https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/...qualifying

Another experiment which failed miserably.

In my view there are a few things that need changing in F1.

The tyres and the fact that long periods are spent nursing them because they are artificially made to degrade more than they should.
If we want more pit stops, make it mandatory for each team to do 2 pit stops during a race.
Toughen up on drivers being coached - Lewis was asking where Bottas was quicker today - enforce the rules for gods sake!
More consistency on the track limits - its the white line FFS
Take points away from teams and/or drivers rather than fining them - it hurts more and they will think twice

and only allow cofty to commentate on the crappest race of the year - Monaco, because it can't be made exciting or any more dull. Get someone else to do the rest of the races.

One thing that doesn't need changing is qually - in fact it is often the best part of the weekend in my view so for goodness sake leave it alone and fix the things that need fixing!
We saw today what happens when much faster cars accelerate into much slower cars on a straight when there are lots of them together, all moving sideways to get an advantage. Today it was mildly amusing but only because no-one was hurt.
Jody's argument is a decent one but, being pedantic, the format has changed over the years to a modest extent. It has, however always at least tried to be about the fastest car at the front and the slowest car at the back so "pole position" meant something which is the real aspect of continuity which matters.
[+] 6 users Like PaddyB's post

(13-09-2020, 09:50 PM)PaddyB Wrote:  One thing that doesn't need changing is qually - in fact it is often the best part of the weekend in my view so for goodness sake leave it alone and fix the things that need fixing!

Couldn't agree more. Saturdays are great, the format is perfect as far as I am concerned.

When I look fast, I'm not smooth and I am going slowly. And when I look slow, I am smooth and going fast.
[+] 3 users Like The Professor's post

(13-09-2020, 09:50 PM)PaddyB Wrote:  being pedantic, the format has changed over the years to a modest extent. It has, however always at least tried to be about the fastest car at the front and the slowest car at the back so "pole position" meant something which is the real aspect of continuity which matters.

To be pedantic I made that point already so your comment is redundant.
[+] 1 user Likes Jody Barton's post

(14-09-2020, 03:35 PM)Jody Barton Wrote:  
(13-09-2020, 09:50 PM)PaddyB Wrote:  being pedantic, the format has changed over the years to a modest extent. It has, however always at least tried to be about the fastest car at the front and the slowest car at the back so "pole position" meant something which is the real aspect of continuity which matters.

To be pedantic I made that point already so your comment is redundant.

Fair point well made.

Well said Seb Vettel

https://www.planetf1.com/news/sebastian-...erse-grid/

And now Jean Todt.

https://www.planetf1.com/news/jean-todt-...erse-grid/

With so many detractors I will be surprised if this ever saw the light of day.

When I look fast, I'm not smooth and I am going slowly. And when I look slow, I am smooth and going fast.
[+] 3 users Like The Professor's post