2020 Spanish GP

I think we have all said it at one time or another but.....It really does my nut in these "thou shalt not cut corner 1, 2, 3 etc etc" ....but its ok everywhere else........just make a fecking ruling.... if you run all 4 wheels outside of the white line regardless of where youre getting a bloody penalty of some description, end of story!

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 5 users Like forzaferrari's post

I think all cars should be fitted with a GPS sensor and 3kg of C4. If all four wheels go outside of the white line 3 times during the race it should trigger the C4 and kill the driver so they don't offend again. That'll learn 'em. All joking aside track limits pisses me off no end. The white lines are there for a reason, if a driver breaches them disqualify them. A few DSQ's and I'm sure they'd all be good little boys from then on.
[+] 5 users Like Jody Barton's post

Well, FP1 was exciting wasn't it? I'm sitting at the very beautiful Falsterbo beach wondering what exactly the FIA will attempt next to slow Mercedes down. It isn't the FIA's job to make the other teams competitive by slowing Mercedes down. The amount of innovations the FIA have taken away from Mercedes in the last seven years is ridiculous. RBR got to keep blown diffusers for 5 years. Mercedes had FRIC for 6 races. The truth is Mercedes 3 years ago were required to fully disclose their engine technical details, they already shared them with Honda voluntarily, and explained their MGU-H to Renault. If the other teams can't catch up after 7 years that's on them.

OK, Holy crap, Ferrari replaced Leclercs chassis after he tried mounting Vettel roughly from behind in the Styrian GP, but didn't, I repeat they DIDN'T replace Vettels!!! You what? His chassis probably had that crack in it from then, so he raced in Hungary and twice at Silverstone with a borked chassis? That's BS. Feel really sorry for Seb, that's no way to treat any driver, let alone a 4 time WDC.
[+] 4 users Like Jody Barton's post

(14-08-2020, 12:42 PM)Jody Barton Wrote:  Well, FP1 was exciting wasn't it? I'm sitting at the very beautiful Falsterbo beach wondering what exactly the FIA will attempt next to slow Mercedes down. It isn't the FIA's job to make the other teams competitive by slowing Mercedes down. The amount of innovations the FIA have taken away from Mercedes in the last seven years is ridiculous. RBR got to keep blown diffusers for 5 years. Mercedes had FRIC for 6 races. The truth is Mercedes 3 years ago were required to fully disclose their engine technical details, they already shared them with Honda voluntarily, and explained their MGU-H to Renault. If the other teams can't catch up after 7 years that's on them.

OK, Holy crap, Ferrari replaced Leclercs chassis after he tried mounting Vettel roughly from behind in the Styrian GP, but didn't, I repeat they DIDN'T replace Vettels!!! You what? His chassis probably had that crack in it from then, so he raced in Hungary and twice at Silverstone with a borked chassis? That's BS. Feel really sorry for Seb, that's no way to treat any driver, let alone a 4 time WDC.

Yes, taking away those inovations because the other teams can keep up with Mercedes goes against almost everything F1 used to be about.
On the other hand, they might feel forced doing this out of the fear F1 becomes boring and the fans (and therefor the money) go away.

As for Ferrari, that team is so untruthful in so many aspects. Such a shame because it used to be a beautiful and iconic team. It still can be that, but they need to change a lot, starting with sending their top home.
If I was Vettel, I would thinking as well what motivation I had to even try getting some points. Why would he still try, other than his own inner drive? There is nothing he can accomplish this year, the car is crap and otherwise his team will make sure he can't accomplish anything. He should be fully focused on what he wants (and can get, those are not the same things) for next year. Screw Ferrari, just have some fun racing without any care about points and pick up your salary from them.

And Jody, enjoy the beach.
[+] 3 users Like Antilochos's post

Well after doing my best to turn lobster red while watching FP2 a few things stood out. Ferrari teams were running higher engine modes. RBR seemed to do a proper quali run too with the engines turned up a little, and Mercedes went round a second or so quicker than everyone else in a bog standard race mode. I genuinely think, that if the FIA curtail quali modes it might only serve to widen the gap, especially on Sundays because Mercedes will be able to run their engines in higher modes within the race. At this point in time I'm not sure the FIA can really slow them down.
[+] 3 users Like Jody Barton's post

Yeah, i'm not sure its been about the Merc engine for a while, it's all aero and mechanical ability/grip of the Merc car now. I'm mean DAS, to have something of that level, thats finally visible gives a massive indication on how well the car is designed, and what innovative treats they have elsewhere, out of sight, which was alluded to by Bottas i think during testing.

My previous sig was obsolete, McLaren ain't disappointing Heshy no more.
[+] 2 users Like Monster Hesh's post

(14-08-2020, 01:11 PM)Antilochos Wrote:  Yes, taking away those inovations because the other teams can keep up with Mercedes goes against almost everything F1 used to be about.
On the other hand, they might feel forced doing this out of the fear F1 becomes boring and the fans (and therefor the money) go away.

Who cares if some races are boring? Serious question. IMO there is plenty of intrigue and interest in F1 besides the racing itself. F1 is first and foremost a technical team competition. Most older people who have watched the sport for a while get this and enjoy other aspects o top of the actual racing. If Liberty / FIA want to handicap the best teams to promote competition on track and get more interest from younger people then I would say two things :

1. Younger people should look a little deeper. But apparently they don't have enough attention span!

2. If they think F1 is dull then younger people could go and watch a different race series which includes gimmicks to artificially improve the on track racing.

Leave F1 alone, crippling teams mid season just because they are a lot better isn't helping the competition in any way. If I ran one of the "chasing" teams I would be wholly embarrassed. Also, there are plenty of ways of making money from the fans who do appreciate the way F1 works (and the way it has always worked).

(14-08-2020, 04:52 PM)Jody Barton Wrote:  I genuinely think, that if the FIA curtail quali modes it might only serve to widen the gap, especially on Sundays because Mercedes will be able to run their engines in higher modes within the race. At this point in time I'm not sure the FIA can really slow them down.

Yes, I feel the same and said this in the other "future vision" thread

https://www.f1banter.co.uk/showthread.ph...5#pid26455

(15-08-2020, 09:11 AM)Monster Hesh Wrote:  Yeah, i'm not sure its been about the Merc engine for a while, it's all aero and mechanical ability/grip of the Merc car now. I'm mean DAS, to have something of that level, thats finally visible gives a massive indication on how well the car is designed, and what innovative treats they have elsewhere, out of sight, which was alluded to by Bottas i think during testing.

All of this ^^^

It's just a great all round package this year. Mercedes seem to be able to pull a 1 second gap at will, even during P sessions in low engine modes.
[+] 1 user Likes morini's post

Max looking very close in P3 so far. Could maybe have a tight quali?

Probably not though as Merc usually have a good chunk in reserve.
[+] 2 users Like morini's post

Max is looking really handy during FP3. Bottas looking more comfortable than Hamilton as well, given how close the race sims on Friday were, I think Max could be a threat in the race. Mercedes need to stiffen up their front suspension and set the car up for the race, otherwise Max might do them again by pushing them into uncomfortable territory.

Was posting my comment as you posted yours Morini, not sure Max will be a threat in qualifying, but certainly he'll be a threat in the race.
[+] 2 users Like Jody Barton's post

Yeah, track is ramping anyway. Sainz got very close to VB's first time, but VB pulled another 0.5 since. Still think Merc have a decent wedge in hand. Lewis didn't set a representative time on his first run, so I'm not reading too much into it.

VB is very fast here though. After all, he holds the track record.

We will see in a couple of hours.