Thread Closed

Slow news month

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/artic...RYeQz.html

That means Ferrari aren't interested, and rumours the Merc top brass don't think he'd be a good "image" for their brand are confirmed.
[+] 2 users Like Jody Barton's post

(07-01-2020, 11:52 AM)Jody Barton Wrote:  https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/artic...RYeQz.html

That means Ferrari aren't interested, and rumours the Merc top brass don't think he'd be a good "image" for their brand are confirmed.

Personally I never thought telling the world that Ferrari were "cheating" was a clever career move...   Cry

Surprised at the Mercedes rumours, maybe they know Lewis will sign on the dotted line?  

Ok a Papa conspiracy theory, or stating the bleeding obvious, Lewis resigns then finishes career at Ferrari, to be replaced at Mercedes by an older more mature & complete Max?

Interesting to know how much cash Honda & Red Bull have promised to incentivize Max.

"large pallet of cash for young Mr Verstappen"   Wink

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 3 users Like PapaofGags's post

Nope... hearing Mercedes are sniffing round Ricciardo... 

Make of that what you will. Mercedes are a very brand conscious company, and Max's outbursts against Ferrari and fellow competitors is not nearly diplomatic enough for their board of directors. That's what I've been hearing. When I said to someone Max would replace Lewis, who by the way Mercedes think is off to Ferrari in 2021 (they think the agreement in principle has been hammered out) someone who knows the situation, not greatly, but way better than I said "I doubt it, they don't want his attitude or father linked to their brand". He also said he'd sign up to RBR because he now has nowhere else to go. I honestly thought he was talking bollocks, now I'm not so sure.
[+] 2 users Like Jody Barton's post

Red Bull sports director Helmut Marko was relieved to see the coup: “That was a very important step for us (to resign Max) Now we can look to the future with more confidence. ”The events of the past few weeks had put Red Bull under pressure. The Ferrari flirt with Lewis Hamilton, the red contract extension with Charles Leclerc. “To be honest, we had a hard time guessing what was wrong with the story between Ferrari and Hamilton. But it is also clear that Mercedes must act if Hamilton goes to Ferrari in 2021. And Max would have been the number one address. ”

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 2 users Like forzaferrari's post

(07-01-2020, 01:39 PM)Jody Barton Wrote:  Nope... hearing Mercedes are sniffing round Ricciardo... 
Make of that what you will. Mercedes are a very brand conscious company, and Max's outbursts against Ferrari and fellow competitors is not nearly diplomatic enough for their board of directors. That's what I've been hearing. When I said to someone Max would replace Lewis, who by the way Mercedes think is off to Ferrari in 2021 (they think the agreement in principle has been hammered out) someone who knows the situation, not greatly, but way better than I said "I doubt it, they don't want his attitude or father linked to their brand". He also said he'd sign up to RBR because he now has nowhere else to go. I honestly thought he was talking bollocks, now I'm not so sure.
(07-01-2020, 01:57 PM)forzaferrari Wrote:  Red Bull sports director Helmut Marko was relieved to see the coup: “That was a very important step for us (to resign Max) Now we can look to the future with more confidence. ”The events of the past few weeks had put Red Bull under pressure. The Ferrari flirt with Lewis Hamilton, the red contract extension with Charles Leclerc. “To be honest, we had a hard time guessing what was wrong with the story between Ferrari and Hamilton. But it is also clear that Mercedes must act if Hamilton goes to Ferrari in 2021. And Max would have been the number one address. ”

Wow, nice read Gents.

So "If" Lewis goes to Ferrari, Danny to Mercedes would Sebastian take on Danny in the same car again? bet he would want revenge over retirement, or hoping so, as I'm typing I thought wouldn't that make Mercedes want continuity with Bottas? so does that mean Sebastian must beat Charles this year to have any chance of a top seat...

Fun init Wink

[+] 1 user Likes PapaofGags's post

Well my first thoughts on hearing the news this morning:

That has 'ruined' months of speculation for us amateur observers.

That is two more years Max is probably not going to be a WDC!

My dream of Danny Ricc and Lewis in the same team is again a possibility.

If Lewis does NOT go to Ferrari who the hell will they sign... Bottas, Hulkenburg????
[+] 1 user Likes NeilP's post

The second seat at Ferrari is the interesting one. Looking at the field Ferrari have the following options:

1) Continuity with Sebastian Vettel

2) Blockbuster move with Lewis Hamilton

3) Hedging your future bets with Daniel Ricciardo

4) Back up option for Leclerc with Bottas, Hulkenberg or some other also ran

5) More youth with maybe someone like Norris.

The problem for Mercedes is they already have the best driver on the grid in my opinion, and retaining him is the biggest concern for them, but that hampers them long-term in many respects, as their focus will always be on Hamilton.
[+] 3 users Like Jody Barton's post

This Verstappen news came as a suprise. Not that he signed, but for such a long periode. Must have some clause in there to leave (for example if Honda leaves, or if car is not competable for championship/wins).
Not sure why he did that. Ferrari is not a team for Verstappen, but Mercedes certainly is. I don't believe Mercedes is to afraid to sign a outspoken driver like Verstappen. They can manage him. I don't see Ricciardo moving to Mercedes, but it would be the obvious choice now if Hamilton would move to Ferrari. But, would Mercedes choose Ricciardo over Verstappen? Would they keep Bottas after Hamilton would leave? Would Hamilton really move towards Ferrari with Leclerc over there (maybe Hamilton would, but don't see Ferrari want that. Would Leclerc accept to be number 2, wich he would be then)?

Weird, we got a lot of questions answered with this signing, but it gave us again new questions.
Still not sure if Verstappen made a admirable and brave step, or a silly one.
On the other hand, Red Bull is a great team with good people and Honda is doing a tremendous job. Also there seems to be a good match between those three (Red Bull, Honda and Verstappen). Would love to see it work.

One thing though; why the hell is it still Austin Martin Red Bull? Austin Martin, if you don't deliver a engine, why be on the car? And why spent money if you fighting to excist as a company? Did they even made profit, ever? Lost like 70% since moving to stock market in 2018. Just leave, it is a Honda engine, Austin Martin has nothing to do with the car.
[+] 2 users Like Antilochos's post

Just been watching a bit of Spanish tv where they claimed Max`s contract is worth a tad over 40 mil euros per season (they also said Honda had stumped up extra dosh to ensure he signed)....cant see how he could command that sort of money (if true)

edit: also just read this in Italian press...."The Japanese manufacturer should have ensured coverage of part of Max's engagement, confirming Honda's growing involvement in the Red Bull project, and this has allowed Verstappen to exceed 40 million euro per year"

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 1 user Likes forzaferrari's post

(07-01-2020, 07:49 PM)forzaferrari Wrote:  Just been watching a bit of Spanish tv where they claimed Max`s contract is worth a tad over 40 mil euros per season (they also said Honda had stumped up extra dosh to ensure he signed)....cant see how he could command that sort of money (if true)

edit: also just read this in Italian press...."The Japanese manufacturer should have ensured coverage of part of Max's engagement, confirming Honda's growing involvement in the Red Bull project, and this has allowed Verstappen to exceed 40 million euro per year"

40 million euro's & the daft bugger has a girlfriend..... 

Quote Lewis "do you know how many super models there are in the world"  

Bet Charles is looking at the zero's on his contract.  Nothingtosay

Lewis must be smiling, next contract talks, "have you seen what Max is getting"

[+] 3 users Like PapaofGags's post
Thread Closed