2019 Abu Dhabi GP

Swedish TV is reporting Leclerc will be disqualified.

(01-12-2019, 04:27 PM)Jody Barton Wrote:  Swedish TV is reporting Leclerc will be disqualified.

Just put Sky coverage back on and they haven't confirmed either way yet.
[+] 1 user Likes morini's post

The Ferrari team coming out of the stewards didn't look happy, there's also a thing on Swedish TV where the commentators, one of who is an automotive engineer with some experience (worked for Porsche WEC Team) said they may have inadvertently given the game away with what they've been doing with the fuel.

Still nothing, this is still part of the problem with F1, take way too long to make a decision after the race.
[+] 2 users Like Jody Barton's post

So Ferrari fined €50,000 and warned about future fuel related infringements and irregularities going forward, but Leclerc keeps his podium.
[+] 2 users Like Jody Barton's post

(01-12-2019, 07:35 PM)Jody Barton Wrote:  So Ferrari fined €50,000 and warned about future fuel related infringements and irregularities going forward, but Leclerc keeps his podium.

Good decision!

Not sure i agree that it is a good decision as I am not really sure that anyone else would have got away with it or that 50k will mean anything to Ferrari. I would have taken the constructors points away at least. The other teams will be right to be unimpressed.

(01-12-2019, 08:24 PM)PaddyB Wrote:  Not sure i agree that it is a good decision as I am not really sure that anyone else would have got away with it or that 50k will mean anything to Ferrari. I would have taken the constructors points away at least. The other teams will be right to be unimpressed.

Dead rubber race, hardly CLC's fault and I reckon there was nothing there to justify taking a podium away from the lad. Take your point about the WCC points, but that wouldn't have affected anything either in the great scheme of things.

I was more intrigued by Jody's earlier comment saying Ferrari may have given something away about the fuel flow uncertainty. Seems there's nothing in that.

(01-12-2019, 08:24 PM)PaddyB Wrote:  The other teams will be right to be unimpressed.

Hi Paddy

"unimpressed"  Agree in a way, unimpressed they didn't think of it, bet they are all doing the same next year.   Winkblink

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 2 users Like PapaofGags's post

(01-12-2019, 08:42 PM)PaddyB Wrote:  but what is to stop any of them from trying it on next year at Abu Dhabi in some other area of the technical regs?

This is a very good point. Whatever the rights or wrongs of deciding to impose a financial penalty it does indeed set a precedent. I don't think any of us know the true story here, but I'm glad it didn't spoil the result for a driver who wasn't really in control of the situation and didn't deserve to be penalised.

The "undercurrent story" is ore interesting than todays events for me.

Understood and I agree it wouldn't have made much difference and have been a have been a bit harsh for Leclerc but what is to stop any of them from trying it on next year at Abu Dhabi in some other area of the technical regs?

Again for me this is ultimately about consistency and the fact that someone ran away with it before today shouldn't really change the rules.

€50k probably doesn't cover the actual fuel bill for Ferrari (or the drinks bill) over the weekend. €500k might have made someones eyes water a bit.

As a matter of interest when the new "spending limits" come in I would make all the fines proportional to the stated budget from the previous year and make the teams take them into account in the spending limit - would that be a bit too harsh???

Having recovered my sense of humour i did chuckle at Papa's post which is absolutely true.
[+] 3 users Like PaddyB's post