Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nascar
Motor1.com

Jenson Button’s interest in NASCAR is 'great for our sport' - Stewart.

Three-time NASCAR Cup champion Tony Stewart says that 2009 F1 world champion Jenson Button’s tweet, replying to a Motorsport.com story about the potential for a future entry by Honda, “makes me smile that he would be even interested”.

Stewart, who is a co-owner of the Stewart-Haas Racing team that fields four cars in NASCAR’s premier Monster Energy Cup Series, said that Button’s tweet is a reflection of the growing positivity about the sport’s future.

Honda, with whom Button has long been aligned and raced for in Japan’s Super GT series since leaving F1, is monitoring the Gen-7 rules set to be put in place from 2021 and has admitted its interest as soon as it becomes economically viable for it to participate.

California-based Button tweeted “Sign me up!!” in reply to our story.

“That would be great!” exclaimed Stewart when asked by Motorsport.com about Button’s tweet. “Just like Danica Patrick was great for our sport when she came in, to have someone like Jenson come in would be huge for our sport.

When asked how quickly a driver from an F1 background could adapt to NASCAR, Stewart replied: “[Juan Pablo] Montoya did it. Race car drivers are race car drivers, no matter what cars they run. What separates the good ones from the great ones, the great ones learn how to adapt to a different feel.

“They don’t get stuck in a feel for a race car, they know how to adapt and read what that the race car is wanting and learn to change their driving style to accommodate it. So there is plenty of race car drivers that can do that.”
"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel  
[-] The following 1 user Likes PapaofGags's post:
  • Monster Hesh