Shark fins finally banned

So, the technical ruling clearly wasn’t enough (and I said it would just lead to shorter shark fins) soooo... they just upped and banned them. No technical limitations designed at stopping them, no measures, no angles, no deflection tests, no geometry calculations... just “if we eyeball your car and you have a shark fin, we’ll deem your car illegal”... job done:

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/shark...on-982404/

But who does this hurt and why? Well for that you have to understand what the shark fin, and it’s ugly little brother the T-wing were doing:

1) The main reason we saw the return on the shark fin in 2017 was because of the regs on rear wings setting them back and lower. This means that they no sit aerodynamically in a potential ‘dirty’ or ‘uncontrolled’ air area on the car, massively reducing the effectiveness of rear wings. The shark fin cleans that air up by forcing in along it’s surface and making sure it hits the wing perpendicular to it.

2) Given the larger / wider wheelbase and its aim to increase cornering speeds engineers needed a device or trick to allow cars to maintain stability through the corners and to counteract yaw and roll in the chassis. The fin does this by providing a counter force of pressure from the other side, like a sail on a boat.

3) The T-wings job was to direct clean air from higher up towards the rear wing to increase it’s effectiveness.

So who does this hit hardest? In simple terms points 1 and 2 will certainly impact on shorter wheelbase cars the hardest. Having less bodywork surface between the sidepods and rearwing gives the aero guys less surface to clean the air up and re-energise it. The same is true of the T-wings. There’s a reason RBR didn’t need one at the start of the season when their car ran longer, and why Mercedes still run the smallest T-wing of the lot. Point 2 however isn’t clear, as it depends on the nature of the corner, but generally speaking in high speed corners you’d expect longer wheelbase cars to cope better without the fin, as long as they can get the rearwing working efficiently. It shouldn’t matter as much in slower corners as there are less lateral forces trying to pitch the car.

So out of the current design philosophies you’d have to say the least effected would be Mercedes, Toro Rosso, Renault and McLaren... funny that. Whereas the teams who’ll suffer most are Ferrari, Red Bull and Force India, in fact given the work they put into their fins and T-wings Force India will probably take a big hit. Personally, from an aesthetics point of view I’m pleased to see them go, but from a pure speed and convergence point of view... well, it’s clear who it hurts, the big boys with the budgets will cope, and hearing how essentially it was Renault, Mercedes and McLaren who conspired to grind it to a halt, my guess is they have solutions already in the pipeline. Thoughts?
[+] 1 user Likes Jody Barton's post

"my guess is they have solutions already in the pipeline. Thoughts?"

you kinda answered, my thoughts on that one, but given that we all expected Merc to adopt a shorter wheelbase next year under Allison, to go along the lines of the SF, do you now think they'll stick with a long wheelbase?

"I Say, I say . . . . The satisfaction you have in a few minutes when you become champion. It's enough to live forever 

Fog, the way this is being reported is that it was ultimately McLaren who killed it by their intransigence, but added and abetted by both Renault and Mercedes... who happen to have the longest wheelbase cars on the grid along with Toro Rosso. So I now am no longer sure whether to expect a much shorter wheelbase Merc. I mean was this their game plan? I suppose we’ll find out more in the new year, but lack of T-wing, shark fins and monkey seats... it’s all pointing to needing ‘more car’ to sort the airflow out to the rear end to make it stick.

yeah, been following this one - it was my understanding that McLaren wanted a smaller fin but as the other teams couldn't agree, in the end they vetoed it, skullduggery, maybe, but as you say, time will tell

"I Say, I say . . . . The satisfaction you have in a few minutes when you become champion. It's enough to live forever 

(25-11-2017, 08:32 PM)Foghorn Leghorn Wrote:  yeah, been following this one - it was my understanding that McLaren wanted a smaller fin but as the other teams couldn't agree, in the end they vetoed it, skullduggery, maybe, but as you say, time will tell

There was one clever guy on motorsport.com saying that McLaren can trade the sharkfin for a five engine rule okay from Ferrari..
[+] 1 user Likes ReneSpeksnijder's post

Sharkfin gone, good. Now get rid of that halo and we should get some good looking F1 cars again (witch a scrapyard engine halfway season...).
[+] 1 user Likes Antilochos's post

(27-11-2017, 09:51 AM)ReneSpeksnijder Wrote:  
(25-11-2017, 08:32 PM)Foghorn Leghorn Wrote:  yeah, been following this one - it was my understanding that McLaren wanted a smaller fin but as the other teams couldn't agree, in the end they vetoed it, skullduggery, maybe, but as you say, time will tell

There was one clever guy on motorsport.com saying that McLaren can trade the sharkfin for a five engine rule okay from Ferrari..

While it would have been great had that happened, it didn’t, and now these are ratified rules for next season. In short the rule book has been signed off on and can’t be changed. It’s now a legally binding part of the concord agreement for 2018. Clearly on this one Merc and Renault might have played a blinder.

Potential for small or lower T-wing. Nickname Parrot Perch?

Williams may have the jump on folk here, as they at times in the season had a rather delightful lower T-wing.
If Force India are the innovators in this area, what remains of the sharkfin could be littered with stubby T-wings.

Not my work, taken from elsewhere (someones interpretation of new reg)......

I have made a model of the allowed bodywork based on the latest 2018 Technical Regulations, and it appears that the paragraph added to chapter 3.5.1 which attempts to eliminate the T-wing (and also the shark fin) still allows the possibility to have "mini T-wings" on the 2018 cars

The new paragraph reads:

c) When viewed from the side, no bodywork forward of the rear wheel centre line may lie above a line parallel to the diagonal boundary defined in a) and intersecting the rear wheel centre line 650mm above the reference plane.

Here it is:[Image: Dss6mY5.png]
[+] 2 users Like Monster Hesh's post

The issue with a mini T-wing sitting in front of the diffuser and rear wing is that it'd actually disrupt the efficiency of both parts, you don't want anything that could potentially cause a wake in front of your rear wing, because you don't have the time or space to 're-energise it for use on the rear wing. It'd also disrupt the flow of air from under the car also. I'm not an aerodynamicist by any means, but I know the question about such things was put to Newey at a dinner once (about more wings all over the car) and he said from the driver back its about cleaning the airflow up for the rear wing and diffuser. It could be an interesting area to look at though come winter testing. It'll also be interesting to see if teams go for the double monkey seat.

Monkey seat is banned from next year is it not?