2019 Japanese GP

(09-10-2019, 06:39 PM)Monster Hesh Wrote:  A terribly dark day for F1 the last time they tried to race during a typhoon. Lessons have been learnt, if its as bad as they are predicting, the race will probably be cancelled.

They said exactly the same last year. Although we did catch a typhoon on the first night we were over there (a week before the race) the race weekend was generally good weather. The worst of it, edge of the typoon "kong rae" actually hit after quali fiished on the Saturday as we were walking to the train station. We did get wet! Japan is in typhoon ally, but they are really unpredictable and change course at a moments notice. I don't think it's etched in stone the race will be affected and I wouldn't be surprised if it bypasses Suzuka completely. I hope so anyway, Suzuka is my favourite circuit n the current calendar bar none, Silversone included.

I hear the point you are making about Jules losing his life because of weather, but I don't think you are being entirely fair in that assesment as the conditions were race-able up until the race was actually red flagged. What happened afterwards was dreadful, but avoidable with better organisation. The race in question was never a candidate for cancellation, lets put it that way.
[+] 3 users Like morini's post

Have Mercedes been shopping at Halfords again?  Tongue

(it`s some sort of alignment tool)

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 4 users Like forzaferrari's post

Mercs tweaked sidepods turning vanes & floor area

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli

Looks like a JanSpeed exhaust lol Tongue

Hoping the new rules will get rid of all the furniture on F1 cars, whilst very clever they look ugly imo.

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 4 users Like PapaofGags's post

I hear you Morini. Its not so much the water this time, but wind and gust speed. Spinning drivers like to lay the blame at gusts of winds quite regularly Tongue

My previous sig was obsolete, McLaren ain't disappointing Heshy no more.
[+] 3 users Like Monster Hesh's post

Another shot of the Merc

Looks to me like Mercedes have brought forward some planned update parts from Mexico and CotA. I think they've been caught with their pants down by Ferrari. They clearly entered the second half of the season probably expecting a tough time at Spa and Monza, but not as tough as it was, and I think Singapore and especially Russia has shaken them a lot. Now let's see if it works. It's great that finally Ferrari are challenging them, if only they'd been this good at the start of the season.
[+] 4 users Like Jody Barton's post

(10-10-2019, 10:57 PM)Jody Barton Wrote:  I think they've been caught with their pants down by Ferrari.

if only they'd been this good at the start of the season.

^^^ All of this   Smile

Next year should be fun  Cool

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 2 users Like PapaofGags's post

Well FP1 and FP2 confirmed what we thought, Mercedes back on top, and by some margin, FP2 could form the grid if Sunday Qualifying doesn't take place for whatever reason, and even right at the end of the session with fresh rubber and the very best of the conditions with their engines turned up Ferrari and RBR still couldn't match Mercedes. So as things stand the grid will be Bottas, Hamilton, Verstappen, Leclerc and Vettel.

FP1 will have been eye opening. Straight out the box Mercedes were a second a lap quicker while carrying fuel. They steadily improved as well. Sure the other teams look closer in FP2, but I don't think Mercedes tried an actual quali run like they did. The race pace was shockingly quick too. Lewis clearly a second a lap quicker than Bottas, who was nearly 2 seconds a lap quicker than Verstappen. Barring disaster / bad weather this is currently looking like a Silver Arrows lock out.

PS. Papa I just think Mercedes were over confident coming into the second half of the season. Their car had been peerless really, winning 10 of the 12 races and only really not looking best of the class in Austria and Bahrain. One of which they won. So they were probably thinking take it easy and work on next year's car and engine.
[+] 2 users Like Jody Barton's post

New schedule

Saturday ....No activity - The circuit will be closed to the public and the media

Sunday
09.00 F1 Car Cover Seals Removed
10.00 F1 Qualifying Session
12.30 F1 Drivers' Parade
13.00 F1 Starting Grid Presentation
13.30 F1 Pit Lane Open
13.54 National Anthem
14.10 Grand Prix (53 laps or 120 minutes)

[+] 3 users Like forzaferrari's post