2018 tyres

Hmmmm.

Whilst I agree the change wasn't made in order to benefit certain team(s). They can't really expect us to believe that some teams didn't benefit more than others.

If you design a car to run on Tyre X, there is always going to be a performance difference when run on Tyre Y. Some cars will inevitably be effected more than others.

Surely a better solution would have been to make an additional set of race tyres available for teams who felt the wear was too high??

Putting my 'green' hat on, that would have also been immensely more economical decision, not requiring the whole development and manufacture of a different tyre spec, plus any unused additional tyres could be re-used later in the season rather than destroyed or recycled.

Purple Banana (a.k.a John or JB  Smile )
"The flowers of victory belong in many vases." - Michael Schumacher

My confusion is (while I don't support it) what we have seen over the past few races will only support conspiracy theories.
Different performances, different deg levels. Austria Merc struggled with tyres. In Britain Ferrari and RedBull struggled, Merc were the only ones to one stop with or without safety cars. Both times were in dirty air, both times completely different levels of deg. Maybe Silverstone updates had an effect, only future races will indicate that.

They should of left the tyre as they were, don't even open up possible nonsense theories. Worst thing that would of happened was the races would of been more than a one stop. If anything Pirelli robbed races of potential spice by bringing in thinner treads.

My previous sig was obsolete, McLaren ain't disappointing Heshy no more.
[+] 2 users Like Monster Hesh's post

No matter what sport (especially in the USA) we hear from fans of teams that the rules are set to favour another team and not theirs, happens all the time. As a Mercedes fan I have no issue with saying that there is no doubt that they benefited the most from the different tyre choice. Based on previous performance I think you would have got pretty good odds on that not being the case before the change. Personally I am still pretty stunned that a mere 0.4 mm of tread depth can make that much difference to performance.

All that being said why did they just not accept that tyre wear was going to be a bigger issue than on other tracks and let the teams deal with it. Its not like they were going to go off a cliff and last 7/8 laps per set.

I am so done with the range of tyres Pirelli bring to races. First and foremost it prevents drivers going flat out which is what we all (well most) want to see. I am tired of hearing the word 'managing' throughout the races. Why can we not just have a soft, medium and hard, allow teams to use any combination they choose and if a team thinks it can go without a stop on a hard let them its their call. Obviously there is nothing wrong with the wet selection available. If you want a green opinion why are we producing so many different tyres when they are not being used, its ridiculous!

DRS, tyre management, fuel management, re-fueling (in the day) are all artificial aids to spice things up, what is next every driver must take a shower or bathroom break during the race? Outside of technical advancement for heavens sake lets see them really race!
[+] 2 users Like NeilP's post

Did my quote the wrong way round guys, apologies Smile

But I think you get my meaning   

It's an old one but having read through it all, and while agreeing with a lot - no, to the silly rainbow Pirelli's, etc, etc, and so on.

But I don't think the main issue, drivers having to manage issues, wether they be tyres or engines or whatever.  It's that the commentators report a lot more in this type of language.  Reliability (Honda - McLaren aside) has never been better.

Once again - Jim Clarke (I believe) "you want to win as slowly as possible"

whatever we think about current regs and rules - this is anything but new, pretty sure I remember Mansell running out of tyres, and fuel, - There was no "Golden Age" unless you mean FA's double world titles against Schumi, haha Smile
(16-07-2018, 03:23 PM)NeilP Wrote:  I am so done with the range of tyres Pirelli bring to races. First and foremost it prevents drivers going flat out which is what we all (well most) want to see. I am tired of hearing the word 'managing' throughout the races.
DRS, tyre management, fuel management, re-fueling (in the day) are all artificial aids to spice things up, what is next every driver must take a shower or bathroom break during the race?  Outside of technical advancement for heavens sake lets see them really race!

"I Say, I say . . . . The satisfaction you have in a few minutes when you become champion. It's enough to live forever 
[+] 3 users Like Foghorn Leghorn's post

Fog I would have given you 2 likes (if I could) just simply because you managed to get your quote and post ass about face....genius Wink

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 3 users Like forzaferrari's post

(16-07-2018, 08:34 PM)forzaferrari Wrote:  Fog I would have given you 2 likes (if I could) just simply because you managed to get your quote and post ass about face....genius Wink

hahaha Smile I started typing in response, and initially couldn't couldn't be arsed editing Neil's post, but realised after writing, given the thread, it may not have made much sense without it Smile

"I Say, I say . . . . The satisfaction you have in a few minutes when you become champion. It's enough to live forever 

'pretty sure I remember Mansell running out of tyres, and fuel'

But wouldn't it be nice for some of them to even have the opportunity to do that!!!!

I did my quote the right way round right, I mean would hate to disrupt a new trend Smile Smile Smile
[+] 3 users Like NeilP's post

(17-07-2018, 10:19 AM)NeilP Wrote:  But wouldn't it be nice for some of them to even have the opportunity to do that!!!!

We've seen quite a few tyre blowouts in the modern era, but yeah, I'd piss myself laughing if Lewis ran out of fuel, haha - can see and here it now - Lewis - "Seriously guys, I mean . . . . whinge whinge, wah wah, wah !!!" -

"Lewis could you get out of the car and push it please, it's not that far . . ."

Lewis "insert words here" lol, hahaha Smile

Seriously, I've laughed a lot at some of Lewis' crybaby moments, but that would top it all Smile

(17-07-2018, 06:34 PM)Foghorn Leghorn Wrote:  Seriously, I've laughed a lot at some of Lewis' crybaby moments, but that would top it all Smile

What? You can say that with a straight face then Fog? Wink With you being a Whingenando fan and all? Bit ironic, no? The worst cry baby by far (and without the stupendous record to go with it). Fair play, whatever floats your boat.
[+] 2 users Like morini's post

Morini you do bite easy with the Spamilton jibes Smile. They both love to whinge and are as bad as each other intact most do when it’s not going there way just a bunch of pre Madonna’s the lot. Can I send you a pillow if Seb wins this year cos you going to need it Smile
[+] 2 users Like LotusLover's post