2019 Australian GP

(21-03-2019, 08:30 PM)Monster Hesh Wrote:  This is pretty killer.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BvP8CPsFVho/

As a humble driver of an ancient Lincoln Navigator I can only marvel at the cornering speeds of these machines and the bravery of these drivers (which is often forgotten)!
[+] 4 users Like NeilP's post

(22-03-2019, 01:52 AM)NeilP Wrote:  As a humble driver of an ancient Lincoln Navigator I can only marvel at the cornering speeds of these machines and the bravery of these drivers (which is often forgotten)!

Which is one of the major problems with TV coverage these days, cameras just dont convey the speeds. The only one that comes to mind, is T13+T14 swimming pool in Monaco, where the camera is mounted on the outside of T14, and you seeing them screaming through the chicane. "The one place you need to see an F1 car" as Brundle always puts it.

Todays cameras tech just nicely tracks the cars through their laps, kerb cameras are over too quick. I think there needs to be more static cameras, that have a wide angle on a corner.

My previous sig was obsolete, McLaren ain't disappointing Heshy no more.
[+] 6 users Like Monster Hesh's post

(22-03-2019, 02:04 PM)Monster Hesh Wrote:  
(22-03-2019, 01:52 AM)NeilP Wrote:  As a humble driver of an ancient Lincoln Navigator I can only marvel at the cornering speeds of these machines and the bravery of these drivers (which is often forgotten)!

Which is one of the major problems with TV coverage these days, cameras just dont convey the speeds. The only one that comes to mind, is T13+T14 swimming pool in Monaco, where the camera is mounted on the outside of T14, and you seeing them screaming through the chicane. "The one place you need to see an F1 car" as Brundle always puts it.

Todays cameras tech just nicely tracks the cars through their laps, kerb cameras are over too quick. I think there needs to be more static cameras, that have a wide angle on a corner.

Could not agree more. 
Make the speed more visual and you probably get more fans/viewers (and therefor more money).

I like the on board camera's as well, but showing the cars in a birds view that gives a good representation of their speed.
[+] 5 users Like Antilochos's post

They had a fixed camera at 130R last year looking as the cars came head on round the corner and it looked awesome. More of that would be good. It's one of the things Indycar does well, those fixed cameras do give you a great sense of speed.
[+] 6 users Like Jody Barton's post

(22-03-2019, 08:49 PM)Jody Barton Wrote:  They had a fixed camera at 130R last year looking as the cars came head on round the corner and it looked awesome. More of that would be good. It's one of the things Indycar does well, those fixed cameras do give you a great sense of speed.

The other place (at Suzuka) cars look glued to the ground and "other worldly" fast is coming out of the second degna on the run down to the hairpin. Looking head on from the hairpin I was expecting them to just "not stick" and spear off the track. The speed through there looked to me insane, like scaletrix cars with glue on their tyres.

On the Friday / Saturday last year I was thinking the degnas themselves would be a great spectating spot (mostly due to PS3 driving laps through there). It's actually a bit disappointing because the only viewing point at that part of the track is well (like a long way) outside the circuit boundaries. You could rock up and watch from there for free because the viewing spot is on the other side of a public road. Problem is it is too far from the track to get a decent view, we spent a bit of time there on the Friday while walking around the circuit. Damn shame because, in my opinion, that is one of the best corner complexes in F1. There are no paid (close) areas overlooking the degnas. Weird, but no doubt there are "Japanese" reasons behind it.
[+] 6 users Like morini's post

I agree about the Degnas, just two of the best corners in the world. I have to get my ass to Suzuka one of these years, it's the last great track on my list, so pretty jealous of you Big Grin

Actually doing Paul Riccardo this year though, or we will be. The other half loves the south of France and it's a nice part of the world and it's a track I've never been too. Thinking I'd like to get to Spa again also. I do love Spa.
[+] 2 users Like Jody Barton's post

+1 for the Degnas! Degna 1 is just awesome, getting it right and aligning into 2 (in the game) is very satisfying.

My previous sig was obsolete, McLaren ain't disappointing Heshy no more.

Just checked, and I don't think this has been posted, but this pole was Lewis's 84th of his career, and was the exact same amount as every other driver on the grid combined. That's pretty phenomenal.
[+] 3 users Like Jody Barton's post

It seems this topic came up again in media interviews fo Bahrain (not seen any interviews myself, was too busy yesterday)

https://www.planetf1.com/news/hamilton-n...up-vettel/

I just don't get why the media (and people on the Sky HYS) don't beleve this and would sooner grasp tp the theory that VB was genuinely 20 seconds quicker over a race distance. I said it at the time that theory was bollocks and I have no doubts what LH says is the above article is reality. i.e. the large gap at the end of the Aus race was *not* down to dirver performance on the day, it was down to savvy race mangement. If VB is 20 seconds up the road this weeken I will eat my under crackers.
[+] 2 users Like morini's post