The Benevolent Dictatorship of (Insert Name Here)

(21-11-2017, 08:06 PM)Jody Barton Wrote:  Atually Morini they did. The halo made it easier to extract, it meant there was greater clearance. Like you I was skeptical, but having seen the video I think many of my concerns, as a former marshal, have actually been alleviated.

Please point us at this video, or I call BS. What you say makes no sense at all. There'd be bugger all room between the top of the halo and the ground with a flipped car. With an open cockpit the airbox leaves enough room for a driver to wriggle out, with a halo I can't see how.

(21-11-2017, 08:06 PM)Jody Barton Wrote:  
(21-11-2017, 07:56 PM)morini Wrote:  
(21-11-2017, 07:40 PM)Jody Barton Wrote:  you know what? It was actually easier for the drivers to extract themselves from the car

Did they try that with an overturned car? I think not.

Actually Morini they did. The halo made it easier to extract, it meant there was greater clearance. Like you I was skeptical, but having seen the video I think many of my concerns, as a former marshal, have actually been alleviated.
This is the FIA video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYkGjUHstKY
the extraction is from about 19:00

i have an idea it'd be more difficult if all the wheels were on but it's not that bad.  There's a video somewhere of iirc Massa ending up upside down once in an FP and it takes him 30s to get out with no halo.

(21-11-2017, 08:13 PM)morini Wrote:  Please point us at this video, or I call BS. What you say makes no sense at all. There'd be bugger all room between the top of the halo and the ground with a flipped car. With an open cockpit the airbox leaves enough room for a driver to wriggle out, with a halo I can't see how.

it doesn't sit square on the halo it tilts one side or the other, is how it works.

(21-11-2017, 08:19 PM)Chloe17b Wrote:  it doesn't sit square on the halo it tilts one side or the other, is how it works.

Thanks for the link. Not trying to be deliberately argumentative, but the way they gently placed that car very carefully so the airbox sat nowhere near the ground isn't a real world test for me. If the car was properly upside down there would be less room for the driver to wriggle out than there would without all that ugly scaffolding. Smacks of FIA trying to sell an idea most people hate.

I'll never be a fan, closed cockpits next. Will look like WEC car with a front wing.
[+] 1 user Likes morini's post

Chloe’s posted the video I was shown, and actually it does make sense. You are free to still call BS if you like, but having trained on extraction with open seat cars I think the halo might help. I’d have to take part in a training exercise to be sure, but it looks like it could help.
[+] 1 user Likes Jody Barton's post

(21-11-2017, 07:29 PM)morini Wrote:  I remain to be convinced the halo will save any lives. I liken F1 to skydiving, "it ain't safe, it'll never be safe - if you are uncomfortable with that don't do it"

if you were skydiving and someone offered you a parachute that was a bit less likely to get tangled, that's the equivalent isn't it?  if maybe the new one made you look like the hunchback of notre dame Smile

But it would have intercepted the wheel for Surtees, the wing for Wilson, added a bit of deflection to Bianchi's car and maybe kept Wheldon's head off the fence post.

(21-11-2017, 08:31 PM)morini Wrote:  
(21-11-2017, 08:19 PM)Chloe17b Wrote:  it doesn't sit square on the halo it tilts one side or the other, is how it works.

Thanks for the link. Not trying to be deliberately argumentative, but the way they gently placed that car very carefully so the airbox sat nowhere near the ground isn't a real world test for me. If the car was properly upside down there would be less room for the driver to wriggle out than there would without all that ugly scaffolding. Smacks of FIA trying to sell an idea most people hate.

I'll never be a fan, closed cockpits next. Will look like WEC car with a front wing.

Morini cars always lean to one side, it’s just highly unlikely they would ever rest perfectly flipped.
[+] 1 user Likes Jody Barton's post

(21-11-2017, 08:31 PM)morini Wrote:  Thanks for the link. Not trying to be deliberately argumentative, but the way they gently placed that car very carefully so the airbox sat nowhere near the ground isn't a real world test for me. If the car was properly upside down there would be less room for the driver to wriggle out than there would without all that ugly scaffolding. Smacks of FIA trying to sell an idea most people hate.

No i know what you mean, it was very staged.  Still it shows how the geometry isn't what you'd think.  The car doesn't stay properly upside down it tips.  i'd just like to see it with wheels as i said, tho often some have been knocked off especially if there's enough of an impact to make fire an issue.

I think the point is that safety is relative - I have sky dived and was also a surfer, off topic but

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_OSW9rrMOg

again I'm still on the fence, with the halo - but when you watch other extreme sports, there is an argument to say the cars of today are safe enough, hope you enjoy the vid Smile

"I Say, I say . . . . The satisfaction you have in a few minutes when you become champion. It's enough to live forever 
[+] 1 user Likes Foghorn Leghorn's post

A post of Fog removed? Haven't seen that before here.
Must admit, it's a bit intriguing.

(21-11-2017, 08:33 PM)Chloe17b Wrote:  if you were skydiving and someone offered you a parachute that was a bit less likely to get tangled, that's the equivalent isn't it?  if maybe the new one made you look like the hunchback of notre dame Smile

But it would have intercepted the wheel for Surtees, the wing for Wilson, added a bit of deflection to Bianchi's car and maybe kept Wheldon's head off the fence post.

Please don't bring Jules accident into this, the halo wouldn't have saved him. And regarding your skydiving observations, if I was a skydiver (I'm not, but I do like my adrenalin buzz in whatever ways possible) I'd weigh up the risks with the equipment available and take my chances. 30 years on two wheels on British roads I know all about risk versus reward. Motorsport is so much safer these days, you can't try to take all the risk out of it without detracting from the enjoyment. Danger it is part of the thrill - I'm talking from the drivers perspective here not ghoulish fans.

I'm unconvinced by that video Chloe posted as well.
[+] 1 user Likes morini's post