Poll: Does Bottas deserve his Mercedes seat? - You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
16.67%
16.67%
No
83.33%
83.33%
* You voted for this item. Show Results

Bottas, does he deserve his Mercedes seat?

Good. I'm very pleased to hear that.

I feel rather sorry for George, but in all reality VB is doing a good job. I seriously doubt there is anyone (and I mean anyone) who would get much more out of that car on a Saturday. So far this season (for me) he has done nothing wrong. Certainly nothing to make Mercedes think twice about how good he is.
[+] 2 users Like morini's post

(06-08-2020, 12:24 PM)morini Wrote:  Good. I'm very pleased to hear that.

I feel rather sorry for George,

but in all reality VB is doing a good job. I seriously doubt there is anyone (and I mean anyone) who would get much more out of that car on a Saturday.

So far this season (for me) he has done nothing wrong. Certainly nothing to make Mercedes think twice about how good he is.

I would love to see George in the Mercedes, though I agree with Toto when he said "to go up against Hamilton now May hurt him" (or some thing similar) another year or two will do him good I reckon, I'd put money on George thinking he can do it now though, so very happy to have him & Lando coming through.

Yeah I'm coming round to this view as well he's quicker than all the abuse he gets on other sites, I think its great he makes Lewis nervous on a Saturday, makes Lewis dig deep to beat him, which is obviously great to watch.

He's a team player, very few mistakes, doesn't rock the boat & keeps Lewis honest, yeah its a no brainer for Mercedes.

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 3 users Like PapaofGags's post

The poll attached to this thread is old and really applies to after VB's first season.

I wonder if any of the original voters have changed opinions since? I would guess not, but you never know.
[+] 3 users Like morini's post

(06-08-2020, 03:01 PM)morini Wrote:  I wonder if any of the original voters have changed opinions since? I would guess not, but you never know.

I have, he`s proved he deserves his seat imo, a perfect no 2 to Lewis, fast on a Saturday though not fast enough to trouble their main man on race day, taking points from the competition & doesnt upset the applecart, what else could Merc ask for?

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 1 user Likes forzaferrari's post

(06-08-2020, 04:35 PM)forzaferrari Wrote:  
(06-08-2020, 03:01 PM)morini Wrote:  I wonder if any of the original voters have changed opinions since? I would guess not, but you never know.

I have, he`s proved he deserves his seat imo, a perfect no 2 to Lewis, fast on a Saturday though not fast enough to trouble their main man on race day, taking points from the competition & doesnt upset the applecart, what else could Merc ask for?

No fecking idea, (who i voted for) I cant remember this morning.....   Tongue

[+] 2 users Like PapaofGags's post

As Forza mentioned he's the perfect no 2 for Hamilton.....fast enough during Quali to push Lewis but race pace just not quite there.....He's also not the luckiest guy on the grid so if any of the Mercs have a problem it'll be him.

If/Once Lewis gets the 8 WDC's he will be moved on in 2022.

Norris and Russell will be hoping to inherit that seat but by then the Merc might not be the best car on the grid (Yea we can dream)
[+] 2 users Like pennywise's post

(06-08-2020, 06:58 PM)pennywise Wrote:  As Forza mentioned he's the perfect no 2 for Hamilton.....fast enough during Quali to push Lewis but race pace just not quite there.....He's also not the luckiest guy on the grid so if any of the Mercs have a problem it'll be him.

If/Once Lewis gets the 8 WDC's he will be moved on in 2022.

Norris and Russell will be hoping to inherit that seat but by then the Merc might not be the best car on the grid (Yea we can dream)

I honestly don't think he sees himself as a no 2. I don't think the Mercedes team do either, where he's played a wing man role in the past he has already been out of contention. I certainly believe he is afforded exactly the same opportunities as Lewis Hamilton, so if he *is* a no 2 then it is of his own making. Race days he isn't in the same league and I don't see him winning a title while LH is in the same team. I do think if LH moved out and he stayed VB is capable of winning one though.

Quali pace has always been there with him even before joining Mercedes and he's been intelligent enough to improve it further since having access to Hamilton's traces. I think he would give any driver on the grid a run for their money on Saturdays.

So, yeah, I haven't changed my view since my original vote. I still think he's (overall) worthy of that seat.

I said it then and say it now; Bottas is a perfect match for Mercedes and Hamilton.
Yes, as a driver on itself I think poorly of Bottas, but he can be fast on Saturday for pushing his teammate and helping the team with adjusting the car, while on Sunday he is not thread for Hamilton.
And with a car/team so dominant as Mercedes, you can get away with not a top ten driver as back up (yes, I can name ten drivers better then Bottas, but surely not as teammate for Hamilton).

I like Bottas and still think this works great for the team, so no surprise and hope a wonder will happen and Bottas finds some racing spirit on Sunday now and again.

(07-08-2020, 12:46 AM)Antilochos Wrote:  1) I said it then and say it now; Bottas is a perfect match for Mercedes and Hamilton.

2)  but he can be fast on Saturday for pushing his teammate and helping the team with adjusting the car, while on Sunday he is not thread for Hamilton.

3) yes, I can name ten drivers better then Bottas, 

4) I like Bottas and still think this works great for the team, so no surprise and hope a wonder will happen and Bottas finds some racing spirit on Sunday now and again.

Hi Anti    Smile

1,2,4, I more or less agree with. 

Just wonder who the ten better drivers are?     Confused

(07-08-2020, 01:30 AM)PapaofGags Wrote:  Just wonder who the ten better drivers are?     Confused

Assuming we are talking about Sundays, yeah there are a few established drivers who I'd say would definitely be better racecraft wise but I can only think of 4 "nailed on" from active F1 drivers - Max, Daniel, Charles, Alonso. There's also a bunch who might be a little better, but impossible to say for sure as we have never seen how they would step up to competitive cars. You can put Carlos, Lando, George and (possibly) Esteban Ocon in that group. I suspect Carlos will be in the first group, but again it is hard to say for sure.

On Saturdays (which are a massive part of being successful and winning titles) I can think of none who I would put money on regularly out qualifying Bottas. Or even matching him, to be honest. Not a single one. Racecraft is actually pretty academic, unless you are regularly out qualifying Hamilton you won't win a title over a season. It only really matters on the occasions where a driver needs to fight through the field because something unexpected has happened. I concede VB has a very poor track record in that respect, but it isn't harming him much because he's usually qualifying ahead of the field.

So, from where I am sitting, Bottas has as much chance of competing for a WDC in a Mercedes as anyone else on the grid (while Lewis Hamilton is still racing). Sensible choice by Mercedes to keep him on. When the regs change they will put George Russell in the car.
[+] 2 users Like morini's post