Poll: Does Bottas deserve his Mercedes seat? - You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
16.67%
16.67%
No
83.33%
83.33%
* You voted for this item. Show Results

Bottas, does he deserve his Mercedes seat?

(06-08-2020, 03:01 PM)morini Wrote:  The poll attached to this thread is old and really applies to after VB's first season.

I wonder if any of the original voters have changed opinions since? I would guess not, but you never know.

I voted No in the original poll. On reflection he has done his job and done it well. In truth he was never going to beat Hamilton on a regular basis but who would based on what we have seen.

It also I believe shows just how good Nico Rosberg was in his time at Mercedes. I mean I hated him (but also respected his talents) at the time but on reflection and with time I have come to understand him better. He pushed the limits of fair play at time but this is F1.

I think it would be too soon for Russell next season his time spent with Williams will come to fruition and I believe all things being equal he will be at Mercedes in 2022. That said I still expect Hamilton to be there to.

As a side note Hamilton to Ferrari next year..... LOLOLOL  (With apologies to Forza I know he will be gutted)
[+] 3 users Like NeilP's post

(07-08-2020, 04:49 PM)NeilP Wrote:  I voted No in the original poll. On reflection he has done his job and done it well. In truth he was never going to beat Hamilton on a regular basis but who would based on what we have seen.

So, come on Neil, don't keep us all in suspense. The poll is pretty old I admit, but the question is still valid. If we ignore the original responses and hold the same poll now what would you say? What would the rest of you say too?

A simple yes or no?

I'm genuinely interested in folks opinions on this as we have a couple of seasons under our belt since Jody originally asked the question.
[+] 3 users Like morini's post

(07-08-2020, 01:30 AM)PapaofGags Wrote:  
(07-08-2020, 12:46 AM)Antilochos Wrote:  1) I said it then and say it now; Bottas is a perfect match for Mercedes and Hamilton.

2)  but he can be fast on Saturday for pushing his teammate and helping the team with adjusting the car, while on Sunday he is not thread for Hamilton.

3) yes, I can name ten drivers better then Bottas, 

4) I like Bottas and still think this works great for the team, so no surprise and hope a wonder will happen and Bottas finds some racing spirit on Sunday now and again.

Hi Anti    Smile

1,2,4, I more or less agree with. 

Just wonder who the ten better drivers are?     Confused

Those ten drivers (sunday drivers that is, weird as that sounds in this context):
1. Hamilton
2. Verstappen
3. Ricciardo
4. Leclerc
5. Vettel
6. Saintz
7. Norris
8. Raikkonen
9. Russell
10. Ocon

I am willing to argue if Bottas should be above Russell and/or Ocon, but those first 8 will beat Bottas on Sunday over a whole season, while a good bunch would beat him almost every Sunday (when in the same car, etc).

And there you have it. My non professional, subjective and totally worthless opinion of the current top 10 drivers. And next year we get Alonso back as well (who I rate very, very high, not as good as he used to be, but still a natural).
[+] 2 users Like Antilochos's post

(07-08-2020, 07:35 PM)morini Wrote:  
(07-08-2020, 04:49 PM)NeilP Wrote:  I voted No in the original poll. On reflection he has done his job and done it well. 

What would the rest of you say too?

A simple yes or no?

I'm genuinely interested in folks opinions on this as we have a couple of seasons under our belt since Jody originally asked the question.

Honestly cant remember how I voted back then, I suspect I voted "no" at the time as I wanted (still do) to see Lewis against Max, Daniel or Sebastian.

Now with hindsight he's done really well for all the reasons others have said, "If" we would run the pole again "does Bottas deserve his seat?" 

I'd vote yes.

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 2 users Like PapaofGags's post

I can't remember either what I voted, but still think the same about it: as a driver pur sang Bottas deserves not to be in the best car, but as a teamplayer he is perfect for his role and I understand Mercedes choice (and he does deserve that seat).

(07-08-2020, 07:53 PM)Antilochos Wrote:  Those ten drivers (sunday drivers that is, weird as that sounds in this context):
1. Hamilton
2. Verstappen
3. Ricciardo
4. Leclerc
5. Vettel
6. Saintz
7. Norris
8. Raikkonen
9. Russell
10. Ocon

1. Hamilton - yes
2. Verstappen - yes
3. Ricciardo - yes
4. Leclerc - yes
5. Vettel - no (not in a millon years)
6. Saintz - maybe, not enough evidence to say
7. Norris - as above
9. Russell - as above
10. Ocon - as above

8. Raikkonen - sorry cut and paste error! (too old, not hungry enough)

So, can we now do the same for Saturday prospects?

Smile

How many of those ten would you (honestly) put money on for beating Bottas in quali (assuming both were driving a Mercedes)?
[+] 1 user Likes morini's post

(07-08-2020, 08:03 PM)morini Wrote:  
(07-08-2020, 07:53 PM)Antilochos Wrote:  Those ten drivers (sunday drivers that is, weird as that sounds in this context):
1. Hamilton
2. Verstappen
3. Ricciardo
4. Leclerc
5. Vettel
6. Saintz
7. Norris
8. Raikkonen
9. Russell
10. Ocon

1. Hamilton - yes
2. Verstappen - yes
3. Ricciardo - yes
4. Leclerc - yes
5. Vettel - no (not in a millon years)
6. Saintz - maybe, not enough evidence to say
7. Norris - as above
8. Raikkonen - as above
9. Russell - as above
10. Ocon - as above

So, can we now do the same for Saturday prospects?

Smile

How many of those ten would you (honestly) put money on for beating Bottas in quali (assuming both were driving a Mercedes)?

Well, Bottas has proven that he can be very fast and so he can beat all drivers on Saterday on regular basis.

(07-08-2020, 08:05 PM)Antilochos Wrote:  Well, Bottas has proven that he can be very fast and so he can beat all drivers on Saterday on regular basis.

Thank you Anti.

<M'lord, that rests the case for the defence>
[+] 2 users Like morini's post

1. Hamilton
2. Verstappen
3. Ricciardo
4. Leclerc
5. Vettel
6. Saintz
7. Norris
8. Raikkonen
9. Russell
10. Ocon

I am willing to argue if Bottas should be above Russell and/or Ocon, but those first 8 will beat Bottas on Sunday over a whole season, while a good bunch would beat him almost every Sunday (when in the same car, etc).

And there you have it. My non professional, subjective and totally worthless opinion of the current top 10 drivers. And next year we get Alonso back as well (who I rate very, very high, not as good as he used to be, but still a natural).

Hiya Anti.

In my > "My non professional, subjective and totally worthless opinion" I'm kinda with you on the top 5 as long as Sebastian's cars on rails. Wink

The rest of the top ten I'm not sure about, imo of course, I suppose its all just chat until they get in the same car, I do think/hope that Lando & George (as Brits) prove me wrong in time but at this moment in time I wouldn't like to put them up against Lewis, I fear it would do more harm to them than good.

I've just posted in the "Does Bottas deserve his seat"  Stoned  this thread that I think that with hindsight Bottas does deserve his seat, however much I wanted/still want to see Max, Daniel or Sebastian as Lewis team mate.

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 3 users Like PapaofGags's post

(07-08-2020, 08:14 PM)PapaofGags Wrote:  
1. Hamilton
2. Verstappen
3. Ricciardo
4. Leclerc
5. Vettel
6. Saintz
7. Norris
8. Raikkonen
9. Russell
10. Ocon

Hiya Anti.

In my > "My non professional, subjective and totally worthless opinion" I'm kinda with you on the top 5 as long as Sebastian's cars on rails. Wink

The rest of the top ten I'm not sure about, imo of course, I suppose its all just chat until they get in the same car, I do think/hope that Lando & George (as Brits) prove me wrong in time but at this moment in time I wouldn't like to put them up against Lewis, I fear it would do more harm to them than good.

I've just posted in the "Does Bottas deserve his seat"  Stoned  this thread that I think that with hindsight Bottas does deserve his seat, however much I wanted/still want to see Max, Daniel or Sebastian as Lewis team mate.

Yeah, ranking drivers is always personal and not like exact science. Who can be right or wrong? Even I am willing to discuss almost every single one of those drivers positions in my own list.

And to put some of those young drivers next to Hamilton? No, that would not be wise. Probably would have the same effect as when they put Gasly and Albon next to Verstappen. But they are coming up and already I think you can put them next to all of those other drivers except the top 2, maybe top 3 or 4. 

I believe I said it before, that from a fan point of view another driver should get that Mercedes seat, but from Mercedes point of view this is just working perfect.

PS. With my dark grey theme, your text colour is hard to read for me. Can we change the colour of our text?