Mad Max

After being asked, Max Verstappen has reportedly told Red Bull bosses that he wants Nico Hulkenberg to be his team-mate next season.

Reports from both De Telegraaf and F1 Insider now claim that, when his bosses asked him for his opinion during the Portuguese Grand Prix race weekend at Portimao, he made it clear that he wanted Hulkenberg to be given the nod.

“F1-Insider.com knows: Verstappen [is] also making a policy [pushing] for Hülkenberg internally,” the German site  says.

“The fact that the two get along well is partly due to Hülkenberg’s origins. His home town Emmerich is located on the Dutch border, and the German even speaks Dutch well.

“But more importantly, Verstappen knows that he needs support in his own camp for 2021 in the duel against the dominant Mercedes.

“And Verstappen knows: you need [a team-mate with] healthy self-confidence and stable mental strength. His former teammate Daniel Ricciardo had that, and so does Nico Hülkenberg.”

The site also asked Helmut Marko about the matter. While the Austrian confirmed that Verstappen has made his opinion known, he didn’t go into any further detail, and played down the importance of the connection between the Dutchman and Hulkenberg.

“In 2020 it didn’t work out, but in 2021 we want to finally make the attack on Mercedes and make Max the world champion, even if he can’t become the youngest champion anymore,” 

“We also ask Max for his opinion on the driver question. We know his opinion too.

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 2 users Like PapaofGags's post

(28-10-2020, 10:59 PM)PapaofGags Wrote:  After being asked, Max Verstappen has reportedly told Red Bull bosses that he wants Nico Hulkenberg to be his team-mate next season.

Reports from both De Telegraaf and F1 Insider now claim that, when his bosses asked him for his opinion during the Portuguese Grand Prix race weekend at Portimao, he made it clear that he wanted Hulkenberg to be given the nod.

“F1-Insider.com knows: Verstappen [is] also making a policy [pushing] for Hülkenberg internally,” the German site  says.

“The fact that the two get along well is partly due to Hülkenberg’s origins. His home town Emmerich is located on the Dutch border, and the German even speaks Dutch well.

“But more importantly, Verstappen knows that he needs support in his own camp for 2021 in the duel against the dominant Mercedes.

“And Verstappen knows: you need [a team-mate with] healthy self-confidence and stable mental strength. His former teammate Daniel Ricciardo had that, and so does Nico Hülkenberg.”

The site also asked Helmut Marko about the matter. While the Austrian confirmed that Verstappen has made his opinion known, he didn’t go into any further detail, and played down the importance of the connection between the Dutchman and Hulkenberg.

“In 2020 it didn’t work out, but in 2021 we want to finally make the attack on Mercedes and make Max the world champion, even if he can’t become the youngest champion anymore,” 

“We also ask Max for his opinion on the driver question. We know his opinion too.

I understand Verstappen and Hulkenberg are close, so the former is helping his friend.

But Marko with his "in 2021 Max will be world champion" crap. No, he will not be. Not that I question Verstappen's abilities, but I do question the Red Bull car and engine abilities for winning the battle with Mercedes (I assume even that Hulkenberg will join Verstappen to fight two vs two instead of this year one vs two). With that engine problem and Pink Mercedes will be Green Mercedes next year, they might even have a fight for second. Maybe Renault and McLaren will take a podium now and then. Mercedes, they will be miles ahead of that scramble. I am sure of that.
[+] 2 users Like Antilochos's post

(29-10-2020, 11:42 PM)Antilochos Wrote:  
(28-10-2020, 10:59 PM)PapaofGags Wrote:  After being asked, Max Verstappen has reportedly told Red Bull bosses that he wants Nico Hulkenberg to be his team-mate next season.

I understand Verstappen and Hulkenberg are close, so the former is helping his friend.

But Marko with his "in 2021 Max will be world champion" crap. No, he will not be. Not that I question Verstappen's abilities, but I do question the Red Bull car and engine abilities for winning the battle with Mercedes (I assume even that Hulkenberg will join Verstappen to fight two vs two instead of this year one vs two). With that engine problem and Pink Mercedes will be Green Mercedes next year, they might even have a fight for second. Maybe Renault and McLaren will take a podium now and then. Mercedes, they will be miles ahead of that scramble. I am sure of that.

To be honest I agree with you that Max appears to have the driving ability to win a championship but I'm not entirely convinced of his temperament or car development skills yet. None of us have seen him in a tense championship fight, so it is impossible to be 100% sure how he will handle it. All of his race wins so far have been when there is nothing at stake and no real pressure. I've seen enough of his ranting and disrespecting other drivers to think he at least needs to get himself some help in that area. An older driver would be good for him in that regard, but Horner and Marko should take most of the blame for the way he is behaving. Ron Dennis (for example) would have stamped that out after 6 seasons in F1.

Did you see the article I posted earlier in the week suggesting that the reason RBR don't have two cars up at the front is because they are focussing car development entirely on Max and his driving style? I think there is an element of truth in that theory and it isn't how Mercedes operate. Whatever you may think of their boring dominance nobody can deny Mercedes have two fast drivers who are both getting the best out of the car (in qualification at least) and pushing each other forwards. There is no way any other team will win a WCC against them next year unless they have two drivers who can push each other, develop the car and race close to the front.
[+] 3 users Like morini's post

I was going to post my opinion on this early today but sadly circumstances got in the way. For me its Hulkenberg all the way if for no other reason than attitude. I think he is more controllable than Perez who as we have seen especially with his time with Ocon he is not a team player.

I also like Hulkenberg a lot more than Perez so I am rooting for him to get the seat. The big question that raises is does that mean Albon back to Alpha Tauri. I also think it also signals the end of Gasly as a Red Bull driver after next year but maybe he will take over from Ocon at Renault.

Do not think there is much to choose between them but I fancy Hulkenberg to be the better of the two.
[+] 2 users Like NeilP's post

Not sure if this is true or the usual media twattishness

https://www.gpblog.com/en/amp/73046/vers...lions.html

If it is accurate then expect a lot of lashback Max!
[+] 2 users Like morini's post

(20-11-2020, 08:22 PM)morini Wrote:  If it is accurate then expect a lot of lashback Max!

Is Max a tree hugger?.....(genuine question)....if he is, well then deserves all the backlash coming his way, if not then, meh.

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 2 users Like forzaferrari's post

(20-11-2020, 09:00 PM)forzaferrari Wrote:  Is Max a tree hugger?.....(genuine question)....if he is, well then deserves all the backlash coming his way, if not then, meh.

I very much doubt Max is an environmentalist. The only person he cares about is Max.

Not saying that is an unusual or undesirable trait in an F1 driver, but social conscience clearly isn't on his agenda. Getting a private jet in the current climate isn't the smartest move whatever his beliefs. I doubt it will make him more popular, let's put it that way.

When I look fast, I'm not smooth and I am going slowly. And when I look slow, I am smooth and going fast.
[+] 1 user Likes The Professor's post

(21-11-2020, 07:27 PM)The Professor Wrote:  I very much doubt Max is an environmentalist. The only person he cares about is Max.

Not saying that is an unusual or undesirable trait in an F1 driver, but social conscience clearly isn't on his agenda. Getting a private jet in the current climate isn't the smartest move whatever his beliefs. I doubt it will make him more popular, let's put it that way.

Yeah, I agree Prof, I dont think Max will give a flying you know what about opinions. The sale of private jets has actually went though the roof since the virus appeared, I wonder did he consult Lewis on how to go about dodging the taxes (joking)

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 1 user Likes forzaferrari's post

(21-11-2020, 07:37 PM)forzaferrari Wrote:  I wonder did he consult Lewis on how to go about dodging the taxes (joking)

I know that was said in jest, but it is a subject that pushes my "unjustified criticism" button, so I'd just like to put a flag in the ground for the benefit of any hard working self employed person, like Lewis Hamilton is (I include myself in that bucket, though obviously very much lower earning). I see a lot of ill informed bullshit written about Lewis Hamilton's tax affairs, which incidentally are nobody's business but his own at the end of the day. There is a big difference between "tax avoidance" and "tax evasion" and some people don't seem grasp the concept thinking those terms are synonymous. Nobody wants to pay more tax than they have to, thus accountants / tax professionals make a good living by reducing self employed peoples tax liabilities to the absolute minimum. It is totally legitimate to do this and I've done it myself for many years as an independent IT services supplier. Do I feel any guilt? No I don't. Why do people slate Lewis Hamilton for this when every self employed person in the UK does exactly the same?  Different scale in terms of numbers maybe, but exactly the same in principle.

One thing I can be certain of is Lewis Hamilton is a very wealthy individual. He has also demonstrated that he genuinely cares about people and I hear a lot of his wealth already goes towards deserving causes. My personal view is a philanthropist will do a lot more good for humankind than any government would if the same money went into their tax coffers. A lot of fantastically wealthy captains of industry turned to philanthropy in retirement (e.g. Bill Gates) and I'll bet you a pound to a pinch of shit those pounds are better spent on worthy causes than wasted in the house of commons bar!

Don't think in all case rich people not paying 40% to the state is a bad thing. In a lot of cases it is a good thing!
[+] 1 user Likes morini's post

Max: ‘I’m two tenths faster than Lewis in same car’   (PF1)

“I think if I’m in his car I’m still two tenths faster than him. I don’t care what he says.”

Oh I'm going to enjoy this.    Cool

Careful Max, an annoyed Lewis is a bloody quick Lewis.     Wink  

If I was Toto I'd put it up on the wall so Lewis has to walk past & see it everyday, talk about motivation.....    Bomb

This season is warming up nicely.   Big Grin

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 2 users Like PapaofGags's post